Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:09 am 
welcoming committee

Good morning :)

I am using Windows 7, 32 bit.

When I go to 'control panel>programs>Uninstall a programme'.....there are lots of programmes missing from the list. In fact there are very few programmes listed. The programmes ARE on my computer, just missing from the list.

I am receiving help from my very knowledgeable next-door-neighbour with this (he built my current computer), but he is a bit stuck over this problem. He is very curious to know what causes the control panel not to show the complete list of installed programmes, and help to solve the problem would of course be hugely appreciated too.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:28 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This usually happens when a program is not properly installed. There are many software packages that will work if all the program files are just copied from one system to another without actually installing from a legit install media. Even though many packages will work this way it is not legal for paid for software and not considered proper even for freeware.

No software put on a system in the above manner will show in Programs and features as they never went through the proper install process and are not entered into the system registry... in other words the system does not know that they are there. If this is the case it is not a good practice and can cause even more issues down the road such as conflicts with other programs running.

If I have the situatioin figured correctly this is usually a case where the initial system setup was done with a bootleg copy of Windows.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:55 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Jaylach,

Thank you for responding.

I purchased my copy of Windows 7 through legitimate channels - I think I bought it via Amazon, and for instance Photoshop CS4 is missing - and I purchased that from Adobe (the manufacturers).

I have also been running Windows 7 for quite a while now (I can't remember for exactly how long), and I haven't had any problems like this before.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:16 am 

Since you seem sure that all is legit I would suggest that you run full scans with all of your security software, anti virus, anti malware. Note that I said 'full scans', not 'quick scans'.

Let us know the results of the above scans and also please include all of the security software that you use. Also include if UAC ( User Account Control ) has been disabled.

I'm sorry to say that even though you bought through Amazon it does not automatically mean that all is legit. Just as with E-Bay there are many copies of Windows sold through Amazon that are not legit. I buy Windows only through trusted sites such as Microsoft, tigerdirect.com or newegg.com.

I am not saying that your copy of Windows is not legit, just saying that I cannot guarantee that it is if bought through Amazon.

Let's sit back and see what other responses we may get on this... but please do the security scans and report back with a list of your security software.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:36 am 
welcoming committee

My neighbour is tied up at the moment, but when he next comes over I will ask him about scans that we have done. In the meantime I will ask Avast to do a full scan. Many thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:40 am 
Fearless Leader

Hi Canna, and welcome back. :)

I have seen this caused by malware, and also by registry cleaners. Are you using anything like that?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:10 am 
welcoming committee

Jaylach.....

I have done a full Avast scan. It said that some files could not be read. When I clicked on the 'show details' option, they were three png files, and for each one it said "Error: Archive is password protected". I have uploaded png files for pictures in the past. I always regarded them as rather innocent critters.

Patty MacDuffie.....

I'm amazed you remembered me! I had to register again, probably because I have changed my email address.

We did find some sort of 'thing' on my computer, I think from me trying to download the latest version of Google Chrome from a site that generated pop ups - (which I ignored), but I think my neighbour has completely got rid of this. He also used C Cleaner, which I think has access to registry details (I may be wrong). My neighbour has on several occasions in the past cleaned my registry, but he always makes restore points, or keeps what he has removed, so that if there are any problems they can be restored. I shall certainly mention your comments to him.

Thank you very much, both of you.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:40 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, Canna, the old gray matter is still kicking. ;) CCleaner has a registry cleaning component. Manual registry cleaning is less dangerous when done by an expert. I have no idea if your neighbor is an expert or not. Restore points disappear all too soon, and you have to notice the issue before they do. As for keeping copies of what one has removed, I think it would be a challenge connecting saved registry keys to a problem on your computer which you may not have noticed for weeks. So if he is an expert, then that's probably okay. CCleaner, and other automatic registry cleaners are like playing Russian roulette.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:59 am 

TOTALLY agree with Patty about registry cleaners/optimizers! The issue is that even CCleaner, which is probably the best one out there, is still not safe due to the system user.

OK... CCleaner is used and it requests permission to remove a whole bunch of registry keys. Unless the user has full knowledge of EVERY aspect of the registry how can the user know how to respond to the deletion requests put out by CCleaner?

I do some manual registry editing but not a lot. Even though I can do manual edits I still will not use such programs as they rely on other peoples opinions as to proper registry maintenance which may differ from my opinion. Also there is the fact that recent versions of Windows do a pretty good job of handling the system registry. Unless something goes really wrong there is seldom any reason to delve into the registry.

Think of it this way... I don't know if you cook but, if you do, would you turn over the task of preparring a special meal that was your forte to another to try to imatate for a special occasion for a special person? Sounds like a really strange analogy but pretty well fits.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:21 am 
welcoming committee

Patty MacDuffie and Jaylach:

Thank you so much for your comments. I have copied and pasted this thread for my neighbour to see. He has been looking after my computer for about 14 years and I trust him to find a way forward. Your ideas I am sure will be very helpful. I suspect from here on in it will just require him doing quite a bit of work.

Thank you very much again for all your helpful ideas.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 am 
Fearless Leader

You're welcome, Canna. Don't be a stranger. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 pm 

No problem, I hope that the thoughts help. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows