Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 am 
welcoming committee

In the My Pictures Folder on my Win 7 computer I have several subfolders, each containing appropriate pictures (e.g., Xmas, Mom Birthday, Deer Pictures, etc.). When I open one of these folders, heretofore I could select the manner in which the pictures would be arranged. Options included: Folder, Month, Day, Rating and Tag.

Now I can only arrange the pictures by Folder. If I try any other option, it says the folder is empty. For example, if I open up my Deer Pictures folder and select Arrange By Folder, then I can see icons for all 122 pictures. But if I try to arrange these 122 pictures by Day or Month, it says these folders are empty.

This process has worked well for the last many years, but suddenly I encountered this 'Arrange By' problem. The only thing I have done differently in the last few days is to connect my iPhone to my Win 7 computer so I could download apps, transfer files/photos, etc.

I would appreciate any help/advice for correcting this problem. Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:01 pm 
Fearless Leader

I am having trouble visualizing this. If you are inside of a folder with 122 pictures, how can you arrange by Folder?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
MacDuffie wrote:
I am having trouble visualizing this. If you are inside of a folder with 122 pictures, how can you arrange by Folder?
Oh, I THINK that I can see it... The issue is that an iPhone was connected.

I suggest a system restore to before the iPhone was attached.

Now attach the iPhone again but do NOT sync. Treat it like a USB storage device.

I don't do Apple so all the above is pretty much a guess but I THINK might work.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:

It's already arranged by Folder, so I guess Folder is the default. But I like to arrange my pictures by Day, but this option is no longer available......instead, I get the message that this folder is empty.

If you open a folder containing some pictures, in the upper right corner of the screen you will see two down arrows. The upper one is entitled 'More Options', and it lets you choose how you want to observe your pictures: Large icons, Small icons, List, Detail, etc. The lower arrow is the 'Arrange by' option, where you can select Folder (this is the default), Month, Day, Rating, or Tag.

The problem I'm having is that suddenly I can only observe my 122 pictures in Folder format, and I can no longer arrange them by Day.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 pm 

Like I said above....... ;) System restore.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I was just trying to help MacDuffie visualize the situation.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:49 pm 

bbarry wrote:
jaylach wrote:

No problem. :) I was just trying to restore the file options that you wanted. It would seem to me that doing a system restore would probably be the easiest way to do this.

Again I am just guessing as I do not do Apple but that guess is that the inclusion of the Apple product included the install of software to interface. Again, just a guess, but I believe that the install of such software is the cause of your issue. Again, as I don't run Apple, I am guessing to a large extent.

I hope that Patty can offer better advice but I don't think that she does Apple either.

Again I suggest a system restore...

Oh, it would help Patty, and possibly others, to help if we knew for fact whether or not you did in fact install Apple software to deal with the phone.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:46 am 
Site Admin

I'm wondering if the folder view properties have been modified.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 35.64 KiB | Viewed 11486 times ]

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:48 am 
Site Admin

See if this tutorial helps - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11 ... lders.html

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:55 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:

Thanks Steve. I just printed out the tutorial to study & implement. I needed it at this point, because when I went to the Folders View screen as you suggested, the Reset Folders option was grayed out. And I was hesitant to reinstate the defaults.

I am also going to Restart my computer, which I haven't done for a week or so (my computer stays on all the time). Sometimes my problems 'disappear' when I do this.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:30 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
bbarry wrote:
jaylach wrote:

No problem. :) I was just trying to restore the file options that you wanted. It would seem to me that doing a system restore would probably be the easiest way to do this.

Again I am just guessing as I do not do Apple but that guess is that the inclusion of the Apple product included the install of software to interface. Again, just a guess, but I believe that the install of such software is the cause of your issue. Again, as I don't run Apple, I am guessing to a large extent.

I hope that Patty can offer better advice but I don't think that she does Apple either.

Again I suggest a system restore...

Oh, it would help Patty, and possibly others, to help if we knew for fact whether or not you did in fact install Apple software to deal with the phone.

Jay, I guess you might say that I used my Win 7 PC to install Apple software to my iPhone. But I need to qualify this. The iPhone uses what are called 'apps'. The Apple Store offers literally thousands of apps - many are free, some for $$. These apps can be downloaded directly using only the iPhone.

However, you can also use your PC to download apps via the program iTunes installed on your PC. ITunes can also be used to download music, photos, & documents to your PC. Since I knew I wanted to transfer some music and photos from my PC to my iPhone, I decided to connect the iPhone to the PC in order to accomplish all tasks using iTunes.

Now as to the restore option. Truth be told, I am not a big fan of restore except when all else fails. My PC is about 7 years old and only once did I have to do a restore. The other times I would restart my PC, persevere until I figured out the cause of the problem, and/or relied on help/advice from forums like this.

So even though your advice to restore is probably sage advice, I am not yet to that point. I hope all of this makes sense. Regards........

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:27 am 
welcoming committee

Steve, Jay, & MacDuffie - I'm embarrassed to say that when I restarted my PC, that took care of my problem. My folder views are now back to normal. I just never know what my PC does when I sleep at night.

Thanks for your responses.......

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

:-)
As my signature line says ----

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:44 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Steve, Jay, & MacDuffie - I'm embarrassed to say that when I restarted my PC, that took care of my problem. My folder views are now back to normal. I just never know what my PC does when I sleep at night.

Thanks for your responses.......

Easy way to solve that problem. Turn it off.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:22 am 
Fearless Leader

Awesome. :)

For some reason, I am finding an increasing need to reboot after updates in recent years. Sometimes I find after a set of Windows updates that 2 reboots are needed. With my Windows Phone, if things don't work, a reboot fixes it. This was certainly "old" wisdom with computers, and it certainly seems to hold again - not sure if it ever disappeared. It does seem there were a few years where I didn't notice it much.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows