Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
As long as the drive is being seen correctly, you don't really have to worry about the Master/Slave jumper position. If you should get a drive that you hook to an adapter and there are issues with it been seen changing the jumper to Master might fix the issue.

Ok, Thanks Much Dvair........there is an issue with the USB/enclosure drive in that I can see the files ok but just noticed tonight that I am unable to transfer files either in or out of the drive so tomorrow I will get my screwdriver out and change it from slave to master and see if anything changes.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:28 pm 
welcoming committee

That may be an ownership issue if the drive came from another machine.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Go to http://jaylach.com/downloads and download/install 'Take Ownership'. Now right click on any files/folders that are giving you issues and select take ownership. Doing a folder will cover the files within that folder. You can only do this with files and folders, you cannot do this on an entire drive by right clicking on the drive icon. This will automate the permissions process. If it is a permissions issue this should take care of it.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
That may be an ownership issue if the drive came from another machine.

This is all too crazy. I tried the drive today and it was transfering files in both directions ok but the transfer speed became a major problem. It started off at 5.4mb/second (this was a 19gb file) and was moving stuff at a moderate pace but then it kept slowing down as the transfer progressed to about 1.3mb/second and then seemed to just stall on a .wmv file for over half an hour so I had to cancel the transfer. I also got error messages during the transfer that it could not read .flv files so I had to skip those.

I put a flash drive in the USB port and it was transferring similar files at lightning speed compared to the USB IDE/Sata enclosure so in my opinion, the USB/IDE-Sata hard drive method of moving files is not the best option. This was the reason I got the 64gb flash drive so that I could save my Windows 7 Pro files to but it somehow got corrupted and I returned it. (got a credit for it from buy.com so that's good) I have had good luck with Kingston USB Flash Drives so I may try one of their 64gb flash drives. Your thoughts on the best way to save to something external.

As for the files I currently have on the external hard drives, it can be done but ever so slowly. I think I would go totally berserk if I had to go back to the "dial up" days........I can remember having to pay long distance charges to get on line via dial up and I could only stay on line for a few minutes a day. (circa 1995)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:13 pm 
Fearless Leader

I use SATA to eSATA docks. I don't know what your USB transfer device is like, but the docks work great. It sounds like from your post above, that you are still using the same USB adapter that we already determined had a problem? Is that right?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:03 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I use SATA to eSATA docks. I don't know what your USB transfer device is like, but the docks work great. It sounds like from your post above, that you are still using the same USB adapter that we already determined had a problem? Is that right?

The eSata docks that I looked at are very similar to the one I am using. I am currently using two devices that connect to my computer via a USB Cable. One of them works fine but it only accepts IDE drives. It was able to download at rates as high as 28mb/second and I was able to download about 17gb in 20 minutes. The other device is an IDE/Sata combo and currently will download very slowly at 5mb/second or less. It has over 40gb's of data on it and would take forever to retrieve that because it goes down to 1.2mb/second and stays there.

Below is a pic of the IDE transfer rate:

This is an edit to my earlier post : Later on this evening I opened the computer case where these two drives were plugged in via USB and installed the Sata Hard Drive internally. The transfer rate between the (C:) drive and the (F:) drive then became much faster going as high as 52.3mb/second..........so for sure the Sata to USB adapter has to be faulty. Those 64 gb flash drives have a 5 year warranty so I am going to purchase one of those to make large chunks of transfer.

Attachments:
direct.jpg
direct.jpg [ 28.42 KiB | Viewed 18539 times ]
usbtrans.jpg
usbtrans.jpg [ 28.61 KiB | Viewed 18542 times ]
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 pm 
Fearless Leader

I'd like to know what your adapter looks like.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:17 am 

Also, since you said that they were old drives, I'd kind of like to know how they are formatted, FAT32 or NTFS.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:20 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I'd like to know what your adapter looks like.

This is the combo IDE-Sata adapter. It has the IDE drive hooked up now and the Sata Drive is installed internally in the Windows 8 Computer

Attachments:
sata.jpg
sata.jpg [ 89.62 KiB | Viewed 18535 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:29 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Also, since you said that they were old drives, I'd kind of like to know how they are formatted, FAT32 or NTFS.

Both of the drives are formatted NTFS

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:49 am 
Site Admin

That's certainly an oddball combo adapter. The SATA connection you are pointing at is a power connector, not the data connector. The IDE ribbon cable is unmistakable, of course. The power connection looks rather flimsy at the circuit board and the fact that we're looking at an exposed circuit board nand dangling cables suggests homebrew. Most adpaters I've seen are either docking devices or cables and connectors without exposed circuitry like this. ;-)
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:54 am 

Agreed on an odd looking cable. Here are two examples on what I'm used to seeing for such a unit. Note the separate power supplies.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329300&Sku=M501-1220

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2477926&Sku=V13-1113

I've thought about getting such a cable at times but have decided that I like docks although I do not have one for PATA. Not exact but this is close to what I have. Looks like the prices have gone up.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6656025&CatId=2785

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:45 pm 
Fearless Leader

That's what I thought. Those are the really, really flakey type of adapter. Get something like this and your issues with reading SATA drives will be over:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-eSATA-External-Docking-Station/dp/B001J8BPYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348245819&sr=8-3&keywords=SATA+Dock

This one is still low-priced, still provides eSATA as well as USB2. Not USB3 - but if you have eSATA available, you don't need USB3.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
That's certainly an oddball combo adapter. The SATA connection you are pointing at is a power connector, not the data connector. The IDE ribbon cable is unmistakable, of course. The power connection looks rather flimsy at the circuit board and the fact that we're looking at an exposed circuit board nand dangling cables suggests homebrew. Most adpaters I've seen are either docking devices or cables and connectors without exposed circuitry like this. ;-)
-steve

The Sata data connector is the grey slot at the top just below those curled red wires. A very short cable runs from there to the data connector on the sata drive. There is no need to leave it in there when connected to and IDE Drive. None of this is exposed when it is in the enclosure. The power supply for this device is exactly the same as that shown in the first link by Jay.

I think the docking devices would be great in that you can more or less just plug in the drive and away you go.

See below what my device looks like all buttoned up. Believe me, it's a pain to change the drives in this type of device.

Attachments:
enclosure.jpg
enclosure.jpg [ 71.77 KiB | Viewed 18523 times ]
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:45 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
That's what I thought. Those are the really, really flakey type of adapter. Get something like this and your issues with reading SATA drives will be over:
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-eSATA-External-Docking-Station/dp/B001J8BPYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348245819&sr=8-3&keywords=SATA+Dock

This one is still low-priced, still provides eSATA as well as USB2. Not USB3 - but if you have eSATA available, you don't need USB3.

A couple of questions. Explain eSATA and how do I know if I have it available? Is the device the thing that provides USB 3 or do I need to have a computer that has USB 3 capabilities.?

This docking station seems to have it all and I would probably get it if it can do everything it says.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Docking-Station-2-5in-3-5in/dp/B005JFUI6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1348248395&sr=1-1&keywords=sata-ide+usb+docking+station

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:41 pm 
Fearless Leader

eSATA is external SATA. It is a way to externally connect a SATA drive, and still maintain the same SATA speeds as the internal drive would have.
Just as with USB3, your computer has to have an eSATA port - it will be marked as eSATA, and looks similar to a USB port in shape (narrow rectangular).
Most machines today do not have eSATA, but rather have USB 3, which is theoretically faster.

Your computer must have USB3 - but I saw on the page you linked to, down in the recommendations area, 2 PCIe USB3 expansion cards, pretty inexpensive.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:56 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
eSATA is external SATA. It is a way to externally connect a SATA drive, and still maintain the same SATA speeds as the internal drive would have.
Just as with USB3, your computer has to have an eSATA port - it will be marked as eSATA, and looks similar to a USB port in shape (narrow rectangular).
Most machines today do not have eSATA, but rather have USB 3, which is theoretically faster.

Your computer must have USB3 - but I saw on the page you linked to, down in the recommendations area, 2 PCIe USB3 expansion cards, pretty inexpensive.

Those USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Cards do look very reasonable so, one of those and the docking station and I am in transfer heaven, right? I just paid my house off this week so come the first of the month I wont have that payment so I can get it ;)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

Congratulations to you! :happy65: :dance2: :drink9:

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Congratulations to you! :happy65: :dance2: :drink9:

Thanks Ms MacDuffie.............but it's not a total go yet. I was reading the reviews on many of the USB 3.0 PCI Express Cards and almost all of the cards I looked at and reviewed I have found someone who has installed one of these cards and they say that they don't work on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Also found someone who says they do......Do you think there is reason for concern here because I am using Win 7 Pro 64 bit? Western Digital's product details says they are compatible with 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 Pro. :dunno:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:38 am 
Fearless Leader

Well the congrats was for paying off your house! LOL

I would give it a go. If WD says it is compatible, then if there is an issue, you can go to them with it.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Well the congrats was for paying off your house! LOL

I would give it a go. If WD says it is compatible, then if there is an issue, you can go to them with it.

I figured the congrats was for the house :rofl2: As for the computer, I will go for the new USB 3.0 PCI Express Card. I have been putting off opening the box on this computer as it is a "down on your belly with head and flashlight" to get at it. I do know that it has an ASUS Motherboard so I looked up my model and although it does not show my exact model, I did see that some of them have USB 2 and some have USB 3 printed on the motherboard above the Express PCI card plug in slots. Does that have any significance? I also noticed that some of the 3.0 PCI Express cards come with an internal power cable. Any idea what thats all about?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:33 pm 

The power cable would be to connect to the power supply to supply adequate 5 volt.

If the motherboard has a label for USB3 but there is no port the socket on the motherboard is what is called a header and is there to connect a specific cable that can be ran to ports. Some such cables will have ports included and will take a card slot on the case for the ports.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:12 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
The power cable would be to connect to the power supply to supply adequate 5 volt.

If the motherboard has a label for USB3 but there is no port the socket on the motherboard is what is called a header and is there to connect a specific cable that can be ran to ports. Some such cables will have ports included and will take a card slot on the case for the ports.

Why do some USB 3.0 PCI Express cards need a power supply and others do not? They both seem to plug into the same PCI Express port on the motherboard.

See this site under product description about 1/3 the way down the page

http://www.amazon.com/Uspeed-Superspeed-Express-Connector-Desktops/dp/B005ARQV6U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1348524535&sr=8-3&keywords=PCI+express+USB+3.0

I keep editing this page as I go along. Most of these cards require that you have an internal power cable to connect the card to the motherboard, however, many of them do not mention this in the product description nor do they include the cable. The Western Digital card is the only one I have found so far that does not require a cable for power........at least that is what someone wrote in a review.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:44 pm 

Ones that do not have a power plug are not really designed for devices that need power from the port. All USB ports have a 5 volt line for powering things like wired mice, flash drives and such. The power connection is to supply that 5 volts. To be honest I doubt that I'd buy one without a power hookup.

I'm not surprised that most do not include a cable as one would not normally be needed. Most likely your power supply already has an available 4-pin Molex sitting there not being used. This is NOT a connection to the mother board. It is a connection to your power supply.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:06 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Ones that do not have a power plug are not really designed for devices that need power from the port. All USB ports have a 5 volt line for powering things like wired mice, flash drives and such. The power connection is to supply that 5 volts. To be honest I doubt that I'd buy one without a power hookup.

I'm not surprised that most do not include a cable as one would not normally be needed. Most likely your power supply already has an available 4-pin Molex sitting there not being used. This is NOT a connection to the mother board. It is a connection to your power supply.

My thoughts were exactly the same but that is not what was described in the product description........this is what it says:

This PCI-E card is powered by a 4-pin power connector. Please confirm that your computer "motherboard" is equipped with a 4-pin power connector plug before purchasing. This is necessary to ensure sufficient power supply and smooth transfers.

They are talking about a connection from the Motherboard to the PCI Card, not from the power supply to the PCI Card.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows