Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:27 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm using Windows 7 on a Dell Optiplex 760 3.16Ghz Core Duo 4Gigs ram (although I think I've also seen this with XP on another machine). It seems mostly affiliated with downloads, where the progress bar stops unless I wiggle the mouse, and the progress bar will then resume moving as long as I keep wiggling. But I think there's other tasks that get affected by this same phenomenon. The problem is that unless I sit right there and keep wiggling, the task I'm waiting for sometimes seems to stop completely!... not on all things, just some..
Thanks in advance for anyone who has insight on this..
oh.. and thanks for this forum. I like the simple & friendly feel.
Doug.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:47 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi Doug, and welcome to the community. :)

Is this a wired or wireless mouse?

When you do wiggle the mouse when it appears that a download has stopped does the progress take a large jump or is it more like it just continues? For example, say it appears to stop at 20%. When the mouse is wiggled does it proceed from 20% or take a sudden jump to a higher percentage? If it jumps it MAY just be that the window that is reporting the progress is out of focusand not updating. A program running in the background could possibly have this affect. I don't recall having seen what you describe so this is really just me throwing out a thought.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi jaylach.. thanks for the reply.
It's a wired mouse, and the task bar doesn't take a big jump when I start wiggling, it just resumes moving. Then if I quit wiggling, the task bar sort of quits (or slows down to imperceptible motion).
It this particular case the computer has a new install of Win7 32bit (just installed it last night). The only programs I downloaded (after applying all the updates), were Microsoft Security Essentials, SUPERANTISPYWARE, and CCleaner (used to be called "CrapCleaner")... and I'm pretty sure this mouse thing was happening before any of them were installed.

I had done some research on this before posting here, and did find a post with a similar complaint.. and a suggestion was to disable the "power down the network adapter to save power" setting. The guy said that this setting sometimes causes problems. So I did do that, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I'll continue trying to ferret this out... I'm not in any kind of rush, computer problems seem best managed with a large dose of patience.
Thanks again for your help
Doug.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:29 pm 

To disable the ability for Windows to turn off the network adapter was going to be my next try. Did you reboot after changing the adapter's setting?

Please, please, please don't use the registry portion of CCleaner. Registry cleaners and optimizers tend to cause more issues than they fix.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Did you reboot after changing the adapter's setting?

what a great catch.. pretty sure I didn't. I'll try it tonight.

Yeah, I don't fool around with the registry at all, with or without automated help.
I only use the disk cleaner part of CCleaner.. is there a better tool I should be using for that?

Thanks again.. I'll let you know what happens!
Doug.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:56 am 

No, CCleaner is fine for cleaning as long as the registry end is avoided. With a 1TB drive in my laptop I don't tend to bother much with file cleanup but do have Internet Explorer set to dump on exit. Beyond that I go through and delete stuff manually such as the temp folders and Software Distribution but not often. My Windows 8 & 7 partitions are 200gig each, what is 145meg in temp folders going to do to me? :?

Let us know the results after the reboot. If it's good, good. If not we go on from there.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 am 
welcoming committee

Rebooting had no affect. Additionally, I went into Power Options and set it to "maximum performance" (it was set to "balanced"), made sure to do a reboot, and again no difference.
I forgot to mention that I have a Solid State Drive in this unit, a new Intel 520 series 120GB. I wonder if the problem is possibly drive related? It seems that more than just downloads are affected.. I'm pretty sure any time there's that little circle thing that shows time elapsing, wiggling the mouse makes it go.. even during powering up and powering down.
In any case, I uploaded a YouTube vid showing how a download is affected by mouse movement titled "wiggle mouse 001" here's the link http://youtu.be/sIRKzdHiHOA
thanks again..

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:06 pm 

OK, let's go back to the basics. This is a new install. Did you install all the driver packages such as chipset, etc., I'm specifically looking for chipset here. Would probably be best to go to the manufacturer's site to acquire the latest drivers.

If ALL driver packages have been done proceed to the following.

I assume that the mouse is USB, if not ignore this part. In Device Manager right click and remove all USB entries... sooner or later you will lose the mouse. Re-boot and let Windows re-setup the USB. I just want to get this out of the way. I doubt that it is going to solve the issue.

Do the same with the network adapters as was done with the USB. Again, just covering ground work.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 pm 
welcoming committee

yeah.. forgot about the mfgr's drivers. I haven't done this in awhile..

Installed audio.. reboot, ok
Installed chipset.. reboot, ok
There were two other files in the chipset folder.. AMT SOL/LSM and AMT HECI.. googled these and they appear to not be necessary (they were for removing unknown devices in Device Manager and were not installed)
Installed video.. reboot.. computer is noticeably choppy, reboot again and shutdown & boot up are very slow, removed this driver.. rebooted, and was back the way it was before this driver was installed.
I did not install a network driver.. the only ones avail were for more current BIOS rev's than is installed on my system. (my BIOS is dated 2009).

Win7 did several updates on it's own..

Downloaded and installed Mozilla firefox

So... Mozilla does NOT have the "mouse movement speed up" phenomenon with downloads... Internet Explorer still DOES.
Also... the round circle still definitely responds to mouse movement (speeds it up) during shut down..
Also.. I'm pretty sure boot up time is longer than it should be, and the front panel network light goes off a couple of times during boot up.

I think I'll flash the BIOS (there was a BIOS update download) and then install the new network driver.. but not tonight..
It'll be a couple of days before I'll be able to get back to this.

Thanks for the guidance..
I'll be back in touch in a couple of days.
Doug.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:44 am 
welcoming committee

Flashing the BIOS seems to have fixed the problem. Boot ups & power downs are quick, as are Internet Explorer downloads.
I should be good from here..
Thank you very much for your time!
Doug.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:28 pm 

Glad that you got it. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows