Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been attempting to install Windows 98SE on a Windows XP Computer and ran into a snag along the way. The setup gets almost to the end, even past where you enter the Key and it says Windows 98 is starting for the first time. At that point, I get a message that says the following: Quit one or more memory resident programs or remove config.sys and Autoexe.bat files and restart the computer.

Any ideas on how to do that?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 pm 
welcoming committee

How much memory is in the machine? Windows 98 had trouble with anything more the 512 Megs in it.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:28 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
How much memory is in the machine? Windows 98 had trouble with anything more the 512 Megs in it.

It has 2048mb

This article seems to relate to this problem but I don't know how to do it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184447

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:08 am 
welcoming committee

Yep it will crash everytime with that amount of memory - take some out to get it to work. Then you can try the KB article and put the memory back in if you want to.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:20 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Yep it will crash everytime with that amount of memory - take some out to get it to work. Then you can try the KB article and put the memory back in if you want to.

Who thought up that one at Microsoft??...........YOU GOT TOO MUCH RAM!! to Run Windows 98........anyway, I removed 1 gb or RAM and I got past the sticking point on the install and everything works ok except being able to get on the net.

The computer originally had Windows XP installed before intalling Windows 98SE. The box has a Dynex DX-E102 PCI 10/100Mb Network Adapter Card installed and it says in Windows 98 Device Manager that the drivers are not installed for this device. I looked around on the net for a driver but could not come up with one. They have some new Network Cards for Windows 98SE on Amazon........not too expensive. What do you think, is that option worth a try?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:49 pm 
welcoming committee

Not really worth spending the money. Many of the sites out there will not appear correctly in the OLD browser that is on 98. Windows Update site does not work on mine. If you can get one for under $5.00 it MIGHT be worth it.

As to the RAM, back then 512 was alot. Many boards only supported that much. The memory for video cards ran from 1 - 4 Megs. Today they have 4 GIGS of memory on video cards.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:02 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
Not really worth spending the money. Many of the sites out there will not appear correctly in the OLD browser that is on 98. Windows Update site does not work on mine. If you can get one for under $5.00 it MIGHT be worth it.

As to the RAM, back then 512 was alot. Many boards only supported that much. The memory for video cards ran from 1 - 4 Megs. Today they have 4 GIGS of memory on video cards.

I can get one on Amazon for a penny plus $4.99 shipping *G*

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:15 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:

Well I got my new 1 Port PCI Ethernet Network Card and it installed and worked ok in Windows XP but I was not able to get it to work in Windows 98SE. The card installs ok but it will not install the drivers. Are you able to get on line with your version of 98? Anything you can tell me to try?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:19 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
With today's hardware the only way I'd even consider trying would be in a virtual machine using NAT for the network interface. This I have done without issue.

I thought that you got a card that was made for Windows 98. Have you searched for 98 drivers for the card on-line?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:58 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
With today's hardware the only way I'd even consider trying would be in a virtual machine using NAT for the network interface. This I have done without issue.

I thought that you got a card that was made for Windows 98. Have you searched for 98 drivers for the card on-line?

I did get a card that was made for windows 98 and the driver CD came with the card. So far I have not been able to have the "Add New Hardware Wizard" find the card and install the drivers. I am going to try removing the card and rebooting and then put the card back and see what happens.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:26 am 
welcoming committee

You may have to use the device manger and point it to the folder that has the drivers.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 am 

Does the disk have an actual installer? If so you would run that. If not look for a folder probably named drivers and point the new hardware wizard to that folder.

If the disk does have an installer you MAY have to run it with the card out of the system. Try it first with the card in but if it fails run again with the card out and then put the card back in. Of course any install or removal of the card is with the system powered down and unplugged.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:29 am 

LOL! David, great minds think alike. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
You may have to use the device manger and point it to the folder that has the drivers.

Nothing is working for me on this one. I think part of the problem is that the motherboard has a ethernet port as well as the card I installed. The Wizard tells me all is working on this motherboard port and I should be able to click on finish and connect to the internet but that does not happen. (I feel pretty sure that the motherboard port does not work, even when it was hooked up with XP as the OS ). The new card shows up on the CD/ROM D: drive location to install the drivers for that one but when I give that a go, it says that there are no files on that drive for the new card.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

I have Windows 98 on a VM........everything is great there too except that I can't get on line with it. So what is NAT and what do I have to do to install that? Be very specific as I am computer challenged.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:35 am 

In the settings for the 98 machine, under network adapter, you select NAT (shared networking). This is in the Virtual PC settings for the 98 machine, not in Windows 98.

Here, I'll attach an article I wrote a number of years ago for setting up Virtual PC 2007. Just think 98 where it says XP. Even though it is written for Virtual PC 2007 it should still apply pretty well for the current Virtual PC.

Attachments:
Virtual PC 2007 set up guide.doc [139.5 KiB]
Downloaded 325 times

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:50 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
In the settings for the 98 machine, under network adapter, you select NAT (shared networking). This is in the Virtual PC settings for the 98 machine, not in Windows 98.

Here, I'll attach an article I wrote a number of years ago for setting up Virtual PC 2007. Just think 98 where it says XP. Even though it is written for Virtual PC 2007 it should still apply pretty well for the current Virtual PC.

On the last page of your article under tips, you say the following:

If you are setting up Windows 98SE™ or Windows ME™ as the guest operating system, the stated method of installing Virtual Machine Additions will not work. These Windows versions are not fully supported in Virtual PC 2007™. They will still work. When the install dialog comes up for the Additions, cancel out of it. Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Windows folder in Additions. Double click on setup.exe within the Windows folder. The Additions will install properly with this method.

I am unable to find a Windows folder in Additions. Also with NAT enabled, I am still unable to find a way to get on line.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 pm 

You are not using Virtual PC 2007, you are using the current Virtual PC. David sent you the Virtual PC 2007 additions or, at least, put up a link. Did you ever download it and use?

Don't know why NAT would not get you on-line, it should as it causes the VM to just share the connection supplied by the host. Did you go into the Control Panel in 98 and setup a connection?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You are not using Virtual PC 2007, you are using the current Virtual PC. David sent you the Virtual PC 2007 additions or, at least, put up a link. Did you ever download it and use?

Don't know why NAT would not get you on-line, it should as it causes the VM to just share the connection supplied by the host. Did you go into the Control Panel in 98 and setup a connection?

On the second page of your Guide to Virtual PC 2007, there is a download. That download has a link to the following URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4580
The above microsoft page suggests that this is a download for Virtual PC 2007. Is this not what I am supposed to be installing in order to follow your guide, what then?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:08 pm 

That article still mostly applies but was written for Virtual PC 2007. It would seem that that is not the version that you are using. If you switched to Virtual PC 2007 I do believe that you would lose XP Mode as one version of Virtual PC will replace another. In fact you MAY NOT be able to even install 2007 at all without uninstalling the current Virtual PC. Can't remember exactly how that interaction goes.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
That article still mostly applies but was written for Virtual PC 2007. It would seem that that is not the version that you are using. If you switched to Virtual PC 2007 I do believe that you would lose XP Mode as one version of Virtual PC will replace another. In fact you MAY NOT be able to even install 2007 at all without uninstalling the current Virtual PC. Can't remember exactly how that interaction goes.

I un-installed all versions of Virtual PC and all files dealing with VM before going with you article so the only version installed is what I downloaded from Microsoft. I then followed along with your article and I am at this point: ( When the install dialog comes up for the Additions, cancel out of it. Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Windows folder in Additions. Double click on setup.exe within the Windows folder. The Additions will install properly with this method. ) and I do not understand how to get to Windows folder in Additions.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:02 pm 

You would use Windows Explorer within 98, actually called File Manager back then if I remember correctly, and open the CD drive.

Personally I don't understand why you even want to do this unless it is just to play. Is there even any anti virus software that will still run on 98?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 pm 
welcoming committee

You should be able to go into the BIOS of the machine and disable the on-board NIC.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
You should be able to go into the BIOS of the machine and disable the on-board NIC.

I finally got it !!! I was in the Network Configuration and I changed from "Client to Microsoft Networks" to "Windows Log-on" and that change allowed me to get on line. Also, everything else is working, the mouse is free, the window size can be made anything I want, I am able to install programs, even customize the desktop......I think I have clicked on every file in Windows 98 SE by this time. :rofl2:

Oh, I forgot to mention that it is running IE 5.0 and Acrobat 5......Woooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo.

Attachments:
vm-nat2.jpg
vm-nat2.jpg [ 48.05 KiB | Viewed 21464 times ]
desktop-98.jpg
desktop-98.jpg [ 63.74 KiB | Viewed 21464 times ]

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows