Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post subject: Insane restore speeds
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Folks at Wilders, including our Peter, have been raving about the restore speeds of the latest version of the mirror imaging program Macrium Reflect, version 6. Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my MR from version 5 to 6. Then I created a new, fresh image. Then I played around with my system a bit, nothing major, including creating my first Incremental backup using the latest version. Then I pretended to have a disaster and needed to restore my entire system.

My hard drive has exactly 100 gig of data on it, yup, nice round figure but true. Now, keeping in mind that my c:drive is a solid-state drive and that my backup image was stored on my fastest backup drive, another internal drive, mechanical, the recovery took an entire 1 minute and 39 seconds. Even my beloved Instant Recovery takes about 8 minutes. I just sat there in my workstation's chair for about 15-20 seconds and stared at the monitor in stunned disbelief. :shock:

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:24 pm 
welcoming committee

ROFL. I told you. Not only is the speed insane, but so is the reliability. My favorite abuse test is start a restore, then do a power reset. Worst that may happen is I have to use the boot USB key instead of the Windows Boot manager. What's more is it is smart enough to recognize when the rapid recovery and do a full restore.

What's going to be fun is they are working on something to even raise the bar higher.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm 
welcoming committee

There are now 4 recovery programs that I can recommend to pc users without reservation: Macrium Reflect, ShadowProtect, the built-in Windows backup, and Instant Recovery (that program is NOT a mirror image program). I definitely know that there are other equally reliable programs based upon my stalking thru the Internet but I rarely recommend something that I have not used myself.

Instant Recovery (formerly First Defense) has been my die-hard Mr.Reliable for the past over 10 years, one of those reasons because of its speed. But this latest Macrium Reflect gives new definition to the word "instant". May have to rethink my backup strategy but there is nothing like having so many reliable safety nets.

Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery