Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:52 am 
welcoming committee

Good evening, strangers!

I have a couple of 2015 SyncToy Outlook files. How would I transfer those files into Outlook?
Since it's not in the instructions, I figure restore is not exactly an option.
I would welcome the data in those files.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Do you mean that you have .pst files backed up by SyncToy on another drive?
You can't "restore" them to Outlook using SyncToy as it will overwrite your current .pst file.
You can import items from the backed up .pst files (backed up by any means, including SyncToy) by opening Outlook, then using File/Open to browser to an open the .pst file. Then browse the folder tree in the opened backup. You can drag and drop items from that backup into your current .pst. When done, close the .pst file by right clicking it in the folder list.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:48 am 
welcoming committee

Good morning, Stephen,

I am trying TO overwrite my non-existent current files.
Yes, I always saved ST backups in another (external) drive.
The ST file is called Outlook, but never came up with other .pst options.

They are .dat files. With little to lose, I will see if renaming them as .pst files will work.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Admin

The .dat files are not Outlook data files containing your mail. etc.
Your data file for Outlook would be called Outlook.pst or something.pst. If Outlook was open when you ran SyncToy, the .pst file would not have copied. Additionally, the .pst file is usually in a hidden folder which would be excluded by SyncToy unless you specifically changed the settings in SyncToy to copy hidden files and folders.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:11 pm 
welcoming committee

It's not the mail that I need - ATT keeps those. I want everything else. There are a couple of dats in a Contacts folder, so I thought that would be a good place to start.

Outlook is always closed when I create backups. I had ST on and off since 2007. I don't remember if I designated it to backup the hidden files at the time I created the pairs. I was trying to find out if anything is salvageable from this decade - or era- or computer - or hard drive. (It's been a nightmare, but I've grown accustomed to it.)

As I said, I don't have a pst file in or from SyncToy. If I don't have data, then so be it. I shouldn't have separate files with the same date, then, just a duplicate pst somewhere else as redundancy? On this version, and I'm assuming it was true earlier, you have to CHECK the box if you don't want hidden files included. I don't often mess with suggested defaults, unless I know better.

How about help with restoring a dictionary that I spent a couple of hours composing last Thursday? I saved it and I can't find it. If it's returned to the PROOF file, there are three numbered files (1033, etc), and my current file is empty. None say 7/22, but I keep getting mixed messages. (Save as unicode, save as .dic) I have many .DLL and .ACL files. Considering that I took time to devote to adding words/names one at a time to dictionary, I wonder why I'm having such a hard time finding it. At any rate, any dictionary file would be welcome. Most of the needed words were added a long time ago.
I am happy to create a separate post.

Nothing has gone right, but at least I get to see your lovely face.

Thank you, Stephen.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

I can't help you with the dictionary file, but I thought that any additions made to your base dictionary used by Office went to a file called custom.dic or something like that. Where, I don't know, though.

The .dat files are generally settings/preferences. All of your Outlook items -- mail, appointments, tasks, notes, events -- are stored in the .pst file. If you don't have a copy of the old .pst file, it wasn't backed up -- at least where you are looking for it. It should be under your User folder in a hidden folder a few folders deep -- \Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

Without going into a long story, I lost most of my (saved and backed-up and saved) data. Whatever I have that is recoverable might/could be helpful. I discovered the SyncToy dats after restoring the PST that is too new to be of much value except for structure.

If those dats can add to what I restored, maybe the loss would be slightly minimized.

(I think four bad Win10 installations are/were to blame, but I do not know how files become corrupted. Drives are healthy, plus a new Seagate. I think Win10 is too buggy and poorly written.
Found my Geolocation "on" when it's supposed to be off.
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... 10-mobile/

I also think that there is something problematic with my backups. Probably the backup program, not my method. I don't read enough reviews.

This is not the first time I lost a dictionary file, although I know where the Custom.dic resides. I just had a problem with Macrium Reflect. They discovered a bug. *Perfect timing.

Onward.
Please let me know if I can incorporate the dat files.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

You can't incorporate the .dat files, nor would they be of any use to you, unfortunately. They are view preferences and other settings you might have customized within Outlook.
-steve

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:53 pm 
welcoming committee

Now that I know they affect preferences, I was talking about using them in my Outlook setup.
I guess my current pst from a different program already has dat files so these won't do anything - or something like that? I have to keep fiddling w/prefs.

I am sure that you understand that I want.
One day I'll figure out the details.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:38 pm 
welcoming committee

I am running the AOMEI Sync function for the first time. The default is that you have to CHECK the boxes if you want hidden files excluded. This reminded me about my question re SyncToy, which also has the same setup for exclusions. So ST was always setup properly.

It seems to me that the first ST backup done in the past month was also saved as DAT files. I don't know why. There are no instructions online and I'm not sure why people use ST so I saved the files and stopped using it.

In searching my drives, each backup program calls their backup files something different and with different file extensions. In other words, the third party programs don't save PST files in Documents\Outlook\Outlook. I have several - too many - Outlook files that are empty. One day I'll consolidate, delete, and organize better than I am now.
That's why I'm also backing files with BU & Restore. What is your opinion on Win10 File History?

So it's not clear to me yet - and I have to admit that my head is full of not enough and too much information - what is going on w/my Outlook files, but it is certainly seems to be the case that in order to restore using B & R, the only PST files it can restore are its own. In other words, AOMEI, ST, and Acronis do not appear to save PST files (when saving files vs saving as an image).
Is is Windows that saves the .bak file with the pst? What is the purpose of the bak, which doesn't appear to be restorable? (It also may belong to another program, but I don't remember and rather just ask the question.)

I may be wrong about DATs and BAKs and PSTs, but I gave my excuise above. I restored OL once recently (since restoring, I mean) and I used Backup & --- because it is most familiar, and it had what I needed for a short operation. Did exactly what I need it to do.

I found the "creating a new outlook profile" instructions to be lacking and since I'm literally trying to start from scratch as I continue to restore my files on a daily basis, I do not know which instructions to follow to create a new Outlook file (or profile) and to create the perfect new backup. Going back to basics is much harder than I thought. I've forgotten probably as much as I've learned. When I followed the instructions to create or rename an existing file, IOWhat am I doing wrong?Outlook began downloading my 30000 emails.
Even trying a couple of different methods, I was never able to eliminate the Send-Receive errors, which I've had for over two weeks.
I still receive all my email, but I'm tired of seeing the error. It reminds me that I am not set up correctly.

Can you tell what I am doing wrong? Have you a couple of suggestions for instructions?

Thank you.

(NB - I came here for instructions several times, but I thnk the data I need was left on the old CH website.)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:04 am 
Site Admin

SyncToy does not create backups. It synchronizes file between a source and a destination. SyncToy does create folders and files (hidden) that are used for indexing purposes.
SyncToy can and does sync Outlook .pst files as do many other backup programs, but first you need to know where you .PST file for the Outlook profile in use is located.
Instructions for what? Creating a new profile?
When you add an account to a new profile or email program, all messages still on the mail server will download to your PC.
I can't help you with "send-receive" errors. If they are intermittent, it is a server/connection/account issue that you need to work out with your ISP.
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:06 pm 
welcoming committee

I'll drop the ST issue. Thank you.

My Outlook pst is called nancy@emailaddress.com.pst. Has it always been called this and I have forgotten completely?

I believe that once I fix my files, the OL error will disappear. (I do not know, but I think so.)
My current setup:
On my C drive, "Outlook" folder has 265kb (empty, I know) of data. It consists of C:Root folder and SyncToy files. "Outlook Files" folder has all my pst. files, including the bak file, which I don't understand.

My C drive is virtually empty until I fix Outlook. To me it makes perfect sense. I don't know how to fix Outlook.

My two hard drives have empty "Outlook" folders.
I want everything in Doc/Outlook/Outlook Files across all drives.

Do I repair or reset my OL profile or do I create a new data file? Is there another option?

I hope I've explained myself better this time.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Why do you want to repair your Outlook profile or create a new one if you have access to your mail, but have an intermittent server error when retrieving messages?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:17 pm 
welcoming committee

I have continuous server messages, not intermittent, and I want all pst files in external and internal drives to be located in a C:(F) & (G)\Documents\Outlook folder.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

You can move any existing PSTs or you can create a new profile and specify the location of your new .pst.
To move the .pst:
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... E6E3589088

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

If I create a new profile, which is a name change, I think, do I end up downloading all of my emails again?
Considering my send/receive errors, would one method be more effective than the other?

Do I delete the old profile at some point after data is relocated? Or do I rename my files?
(These instructions are part of the reason that I said they seem incomplete.)

Do you know the purpose and value of the .bak file?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Any time you set up an email account in an email program, all mail on the server is unread and will be downloaded. So, yes, creating a new profile will typically cause your email from the server to re-download.
I still do not believe that any of your send/receive errors have anything to do with your profile or your data files. It may be due to account settings or issues on the host's server. Creating a new profile, with a new data file, will probably do nothing to fix these errors if you replicate the account settings.
The Profile can be deleted once the new one is functioning. There is no renaming as the profile is a setting, not a file. The .pst file is a data file. Is it your intent to move the existing and connect your profile to it or make a new one?

The .bak file was created when you ran the scanpst utility to find and fix errors in your pst file. It can be safely deleted.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... outlookdev

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:47 pm 
welcoming committee

The reason that I think email will be fixed is that last month, I added my biz account (stmp, not pop) because I wanted an option to use its email address to SEND MAIL only. It screwed up the server online - which the company could not replicate. Once I reinstalled Win and deleted all files related to that account, the errors disappeared.

You may very well be right, but usually with ATT, I get a password verification error. For the past seven years the same error comes and goes, and I have no control over it. The account settings are correct, if only because when I perform any repairs or tests, the results are perfect. Can't imagine who to call, as MS and ATT will blame each other.

I may not answer your question correctly, but yes, I intend to connect my existing profile to a (repaired, renamed, or re-moved) location. The settings would not be any different, but as I said, I want consistency over backup locations. Whatever gets me there. I'll lower my expectations on the send/receive errors, then.

I understand that a new profile would download my files again.
Without being too dense and not paying as strict attention after a twelve-hour day - when inside Outlook and you open Account Settings, aren't the choices to rename a DATA file or create a new PROFILE? I'm running a bu, so I can't check my wording. If I misremember ( a politician's word), I think you understand.

Thank you for explaining the bak. file.
Thank you for getting me closer.
(Hmmm. I wonder what causes the internal server error - note to self/thinking out loud.)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Admin

Within Outlook, you can only create new data files. To create a new profile you need to go to Control Panel/Mail.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/829918

You cannot add an account that only sends. You can add an account that you only use to send, but not receive. I don't know why you would, though.

-steve

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Stephen,

I answered your question about what I intend to do.

I asked about the Data Files but don't know when you would use it.
It doesn't matter if it's not germane here.

I am hoping that by answering your questions, you would suggest my next step.

The reason is simple: my online account is named nancy@mycompany.com.
My outlook account is nancymycompanyname@sbcglobal.net. It's ugly, it's unprofessional, and it's very bulky. Purely aesthetic, except for companies that do not accept @yahoo or @gmail (for instance) as a valid business address.

The tech from my online account helped me with setup. I explained why I wanted to do it, hoping that she could determine if adding the second account would be practical or not. She moved too quickly and after it was done, we spent far too long undoing it.
I can change the FROM: in almost every account but Outlook (the program), which is where I work and is (hands down) the best and easiest place to work.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:32 am 
Site Admin

Even though you are telling us why you are following this path, I can't tell you next steps in detail without knowing your exact setup, which I would not expect you to provide here.
Moving your data files to a new location does not require creating new profile, but it could create new issues (multiple address books/contact). Creating a new profile means setting up all accounts again and creating new data files or connecting to existing data files (moved or where they were for the old profile).

Confusing the issue is that you have stated 3 reasons for wanting to make these changes:
1. Errors encountered during Send/Receive that you have not clearly identified as to the exact message and account (you are using multiple accounts -- settings for each account need to be checked).
2. Desire to control the location of the data files
3. Desire to have mail show as send from a different address than the account that actually was used to send.

I've answered what I can about 1 and 2. Number 3 is a new question. Note that Outlook (my picture is from Outlook 2016, but I am pretty certain in is also the same in Outlook 2013 and 2010) has the ability for you to change the send from line even though the sending account is not changed. Using the "send from other email address" you can type in any address and specify the sending account.
Attachment:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG [ 21.43 KiB | Viewed 25587 times ]

I have multiple accounts of various types configured in Outlook. They are all Send/Receive. The bottom one if the default. Clicking Other email address allows me to type in an email address or select one from my address book.
Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 37.02 KiB | Viewed 25587 times ]

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:37 am 
welcoming committee

Number three is not a new question.
I (merely) answered why I originally wanted to have it.

Does this change your response?

Stephen, I am happy to provide anything that would help you with a solution for me.

I am pretty illogical when it comes to MS programs, so I try not to guess. I know what I don't know.
In that light, if I am focusing on the wrong thing, feel free to straighten me out.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:11 am 
Site Admin

No change to my response, Nancy. If you wish to create a new profile and use a new or old data file, that's your choice. I've provided information for how to do those things.
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Good.

I'll let you know how well I accomplish this.

Thank you.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome. Please keep me posted on results. :-)
-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery