Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:16 pm 
welcoming committee

I know that's a strange question, but here's the situation:

A friend has an 8-year old Toshiba Laptop Satellite A665. It came with Win 7, but then he did the free upgrade to Win 10 when it was first available. His OS then upgraded to version 1511 and on to version 1607 (Anniversary update), where it stuck. For the past many months his computer failed numerous times to install these two updates: KB4049411 and KB4033631.

Then when Microsoft discovered that he was far behind on his updates, it installed the "Win 10 Update Assistant", which of course tried to install the latest 1709 version. After 4+ hours, the update process would error off at about 92% completion with error code 0x8007001f. If I delete the Win 10 Update Assistant and simply search for updates, it searches for about 30 minutes and then errors off with error code 0x800705b4 (Windows Defender?).

I have tried every solution that Microsoft recommended, e.g., Troubleshooter, Stop/Start Windows Update Service, Deleting SoftwareDistribution folders/files, DISM, clean boot, etc. Nothing has allowed further updates.

My friend does not have a system image nor has he ever done backup of any kind. I did create a USB recovery drive, and I copied all his data files to another flashdrive.

Since I still can't get his laptop to update, I am thinking of doing a "Reset of his PC". But I'm not sure where this would take me - back to Win 7, or to Win 10 version 1507, or keep me at Win 10 version 1607?

I would appreciate any help or some guidance on this problem. :mad6: Thanks in advance.....

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
What do you exactly mean by a reset? If it is a reset using recovery disks or a recovery partition supplied by the manufacturer it would take the system back how it was when bought.

If you mean through Windows it will not go back to Windows 7 but, rather, to fresh install of Windows 10. Pretty much this just re-writes all the Windows files.

In both cases installed programs will be lost. In the first case data will also be lost.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Before you do anything. Take an image of the system as it is now.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I mean through Windows (Recovery>Advanced Startup>Restart Now>Troubleshoot>Reset This PC). I know programs will be lost, but I would like to save his data files (although I copied most of them to a flashdrive).

You said this reset will do a fresh install of Windows 10. Which version.......1607 that is currently stuck on his laptop?

Is this better than booting from the USB Recovery Drive that I just made form his laptop? Wouldn't I then lose his data?

BTW, his laptop will not perform and Restores.....that introduces another round of error codes.

Thanks for your help.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Before you do anything. Take an image of the system as it is now.

Pete, I'm not sure what purpose this would serve. His laptop is not working correctly and it is stuck on a very old version of Windows 10 Home.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:52 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Pete, I'm not sure what purpose this would serve. His laptop is not working correctly and it is stuck on a very old version of Windows 10 Home.

I suspect that what Pete is getting at is if you FUBAR his system you can at least restore it to its current state and hand it back saying, sorry mate, i tried but i couldn't sort it.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 pm 

BB, it would re-install version 1607 if that is the current booting version. I have only done the reset process via Windows once but I do seem to remember that there was the option to keep data.

No promises but, since the reset would replace all system files, it could help. As you know I am more hardware related. I would look for new device drivers before doing anything else.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
bbarry wrote:

I suspect that what Pete is getting at is if you FUBAR his system you can at least restore it to its current state and hand it back saying, sorry mate, i tried but i couldn't sort it.

Still doesn't make sense....his system is already in its current state.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
BB, it would re-install version 1607 if that is the current booting version. I have only done the reset process via Windows once but I do seem to remember that there was the option to keep data.
That's what I thought.....re-install version 1607. And you are correct about option to keep data.

If a Reset only takes me back to 1607, I would then have to eventually upgrade to 1709. So would it make better sense to download/install creation media for 1709? Or can that even be done, since his system is stuck on 1607?

No promises but, since the reset would replace all system files, it could help. As you know I am more hardware related. I would look for new device drivers before doing anything else.
Understood....all drivers seem to be OK per Microsoft. But even at that, I tried to do updates after performing a clean boot....still didn't work.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:39 pm 

Installing 1709 directly from physical media could help. That is how I do my major version updates. Here is a link to help you create physical media. You can create on USB or DVD. My preference is DVD.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

As to device drivers I have Windows Updates set to not install drivers. Not sure if you can do this on the Home version. I know that you cannot set Home to notify only as to updates but can with Pro. Regardless I would look for the latest drivers from the actual device manufacturer.

Also I would suggest removing any and all USB devices except for the mouse/keyboard including any printer, external drives and so forth.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi, bbarry.

One thing your friend may want to consider is getting help installing KB4049411 and KB4033631. Sysnative Forums has a dedicated Windows Update Forum with an excellent success rate helping people having problems installing updates. In fact, there is even a "Windows Update Academy" where those interested in helping others are taught. If your friend is interested in going that route, see the instructions in the Windows Update Forum Posting Instructions thread. (The SFCFix tool in Step #4 was developed by one of the Admins.)

(Sysnative also has a forum dedicated to help with BSODs and the tool there was developed by another Admin. I'm no developer so use tools developed by others in the malware removal forum. :) )

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:01 pm 
welcoming committee

@Corrine, thanks for the info on Sysnative Forums. I'm the one trying to help my friend, so I am running the SFCFix tool on his laptop as we speak. I did indeed have problems with SFC and DISM, so maybe these tools will help. I will keep you posted.

Edit: I just noticed that Stage 1 of 6 "failed on server". What is that all about? The tool just started Stage 5 of 6.

Edit 2: Repair is being attempted and scan times have been extended 15-20 minutes due to nature of corruption. But it seems hung up on Deployment Image Servicing & Management Tool, so I will check back later. Thanks again.......

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:04 pm 
welcoming committee

@Corrine - Just to let you know, I ran the SFCFix tool again this morning (Step #4). It completed successfully after about 25 minutes, and the summary showed all counts were 0. But I still can't run sfc /scannow and I still can't upgrade Win 10.

So I then implemented Steps #5 & #6. I have posted my problem in the Windows Update forum, and I attached the requested CBS.zip file. I'm truly hoping someone at Sysnative can help me. I registered with the user name Durango.

Thanks again for pointing me in that direction........

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:36 pm 
welcoming committee

I've subscribed to your topic so that I can keep an eye on the progress. Nicely done on adding the information on the steps you have taken. I'm sure you noticed how busy the forum is. I hope it won't be too long of a wait for a reply.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 am 
welcoming committee

Corrine wrote:
I've subscribed to your topic so that I can keep an eye on the progress. Nicely done on adding the information on the steps you have taken. I'm sure you noticed how busy the forum is. I hope it won't be too long of a wait for a reply.

I was also hoping it wouldn't be too long for a reply. Going into 3rd day now and no response. The only reply to my post thus far was me immediately attaching the CBS.zip file, which I forgot to do in my original post (and I wasn't sure how to edit my original post).

What does the red bullet mean to the left of some post titles? And how can you tell if a problem has been solved? I followed some postings that went on for months and I never could tell whether the problem had been solved. Just curious........

Thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:50 am 
welcoming committee

Well, to make a long story shorter, I have given up on my friend's Toshiba laptop....he will be buying a new Acer laptop. :D

Believe me, I tried everything I could to fix his. But it would not Restore, Reset or Repair....each attempt returned an error message after 15-30 minutes (e.g., "There was a problem resetting your PC, so no changes were made"). And twice I tried the Microsoft 'walk through' fix that Doddie mentioned in another thread. I also tried a multitude of other fixes recommended by the Microsoft Community, but the problem persisted. I even tried the fix recommended by Corrine's Sysnative website....it didn't work either, so I sent them the zip files they requested but never heard back from them after 4 days.

So anyway, I have copied all his data files to a USB flashdrive, ready to be moved to his new laptop when he gets his application programs installed. Thanks for everyone's help.....

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi BB

That was the only sensible thing to do as it was 8 years old. Now just get him to start imaging the new one

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:14 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi BB

That was the only sensible thing to do as it was 8 years old. Now just get him to start imaging the new one

Good advice and I wish I could, but that is just not his mindset. I may have to sneak over to his house with one of my Transcend StoreJets and do it for him.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:12 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Again BB

One thing I do is I am asked to look at someone's computer before I do I ask what they use for imaging. If they say nothing, I then tell them if they want my help, they have to buy Macrium. If they say no I say I am sorry I can't help them. Cold yes, but if they won't do what I ask I know I am wasting my time.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:17 am 

That could work if it's work related Peter but I'd imagine it could be a little harder when it's a friend asking for help as in BBs case. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:53 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi Again BB

One thing I do is I am asked to look at someone's computer before I do I ask what they use for imaging. If they say nothing, I then tell them if they want my help, they have to buy Macrium. If they say no I say I am sorry I can't help them. Cold yes, but if they won't do what I ask I know I am wasting my time.

Well Pete, I guess you are just a cold person. For business this may be OK, but like Joan alluded to, it's different for friends. I don't put conditions on my friendship, and I don't consider helping a friend a waste of my time.

More about my friend: He is a Vietnam veteran; he is one of the best aircraft, watercraft and automobile mechanics I have ever known; he is equally skilled in carpentry and wood-working - he can build a baby bed for his granddaughter or add a room onto his house; he hunts to process/eat the meat - he can hit a deer at 200 yards (I'm not a hunter so we don't talk about that); although he uses his laptop for pleasure and for diagnosing boat motors, he is not knowledgeable in all the ways of computer maintenance and repair; and my friend is currently undergoing radical treatment for bladder cancer and the cancer is winning.

So I would never refuse to help this friend (or any friend) unless they bought a software program. And I just don't understand how you can be so cold and calculating....

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:35 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
Hi Again BB

Well Pete, I guess you are just a cold person. For business this may be OK, but like Joan alluded to, it's different for friends. I don't put conditions on my friendship, and I don't consider helping a friend a waste of my time.

More about my friend: He is a Vietnam veteran; he is one of the best aircraft, watercraft and automobile mechanics I have ever known; he is equally skilled in carpentry and wood-working - he can build a baby bed for his granddaughter or add a room onto his house; he hunts to process/eat the meat - he can hit a deer at 200 yards (I'm not a hunter so we don't talk about that); although he uses his laptop for pleasure and for diagnosing boat motors, he is not knowledgeable in all the ways of computer maintenance and repair; and my friend is currently undergoing radical treatment for bladder cancer and the cancer is winning.

So I would never refuse to help this friend (or any friend) unless they bought a software program. And I just don't understand how you can be so cold and calculating....

Hi BB

I love helping folks, why else would be here, but I don't like being taken advantage off.

The first time I helped a friend clean up a computer, it took almost 8 hours. I assumed she'd be smart enough not to repeat. a month later it was a repeat. I suggested strongly she take steps to prevent another repeat. Sure enough two months later. I asked her why she hadn't taken any preventative measures. She said it was just easier to leave it to me. I didn't fix it.

She I also am busy and if people don't care amount my time, that's rude. I know a couple of things. 1) If someone does imaging they can fix their own problems. 2) If I suggest the free version they may not use it, but when they pay for it they tend to use it.

AND, every person I've done this with has later thanked me because it saved them.

Also I've learned that if someone even as your friend is if they can use the computer, then they are capable of doing the stuff I teach them.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am 
welcoming committee

Corrine wrote:

I know they are busy, and the website says it might take as long as 48-72 hours for a reply. But in my case it's been about 120 hours (5 days) and I have yet to hear a word. My post is simply getting pushed further and further down the queue. I played by all the rules, followed all their directions, and attached the zip file they requested. Yet nothing in response. :dunno:

Maybe you are giving them too much free advertising, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Afternoon Pete -

I don't think either one of us is going to win this argument, so I guess we will just need to agree to disagree....we just view and value friendship differently.

Regarding some other points you made. I agree that if a person pays for something (e.g., Macrium), they are more likely to use it. I know this same principle is applied down at the local animal shelter. They use to give the dogs and cats away, but then they learned that if they charge even a few dollars ($25), the person would be more apt to care for the animal.

But I disagree with your conclusion that "if someone does imaging they can fix their own problems". I think many members of Computer Haven and other forums do imaging backups, yet they have problems for which they seek advice and help.

I am a case in point. I create several weekly images using both Macrium and Acronis, and monthly images using Windows 7 backup. Yet I still post problems on Computer Haven and usually get recommended solutions that work. Either that or I seek solutions using Google on the internet. None of these computer problems I encounter would be fixed by restoring an image. In fact, over the past 20 years I have had to restore an image only once, and that was because a hard drive failed after about 15 years. Yet I will still create images and I will still seek help elsewhere when needed.

As always, it is good to hear from you even when we differ. I know you frequent Computer Haven to help people, and I have often been the recipient of that help. Just not this time, lol.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Fair enough BB

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery