Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery

Post subject: Windows 11 Recovery
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:02 pm 
welcoming committee

What is the process to do a system recovery on Windows 11?

Post subject: Re: Windows 11 Recovery
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
What kind of recovery? A system reset? What kind of backups have you as to system and data?

Once again it would help to have the make and model of the system to what, if any, recovery options came with the system.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

Recovery options in Windows - Microsoft Support
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
What kind of recovery? A system reset? What kind of backups have you as to system and data?

Once again it would help to have the make and model of the system to what, if any, recovery options came with the system.

It's a Dell Inspiron 3910 Windows 11 Pro and came with an 8 page 4" x 6" booklet with print so small, it cannot be read without a magnifying glass and it has 4 pictures of how to connect it and plug it in and 2 pages of safety instructions and the rest is in another language. There was no dvd that came with it so I would like to know how to reset it to factory new status.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:38 am 
Site Admin

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000195033/dell-inspiron-3910-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide?lang=en

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:31 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000195033/dell-inspiron-3910-usage-and-troubleshooting-guide?lang=en

Thanks Steve.......I have been having quite a few problems adjusting to Windows 11 OS so thought I should find out how to set it back to factory new in the event I have to do that.

One of the main issues at the moment is how to rename desktop shortcuts or anything on the desktop for that matter. I have been doing a right click then rename which works on my Windows 7 but nothing happens when I do it on Windows 11.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:05 pm 

Ahh, the rename issue is easy. Also it is one of the things that I don't like about Windows 11. They dramatically condensed the right click context menu. Right click on a desktop icon and you will see a selection for "More options". Select this and the other options such as rename will come up.

This is probably due to Windows going more and more toward mobile devices and this method initially takes less space on a mobile screen. Personally I don't like it. Everything is still there but they have made it take more steps to get to a lot of things. I'm going to have to install Winaero Tweaker on my Windows 11 virtual machine to see if there is an option to restore the 'classic' context menu. OK, just did and you CAN have the old context menu back but you would need to install Winaero Tweaker to make the change.

With Winaero installed and running follow the image below. Click the image to enlarge for better viewing. Download Winaearo Tweaker here:
https://winaerotweaker.com/
Sadly you will need to right click on the download and and select 'more options' to extract the .zip file using 'extract all' and run the install program. Happily this will be the last time you need to use 'more options' unless a Windows update resets the setting. If that happens just do this again.. :)

Attachment:
11 context menu.jpg
11 context menu.jpg [ 730.86 KiB | Viewed 5080 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:18 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Ahh, the rename issue is easy. Also it is one of the things that I don't like about Windows 11. They dramatically condensed the right click context menu. Right click on a desktop icon and you will see a selection for "More options". Select this and the other options such as rename will come up.

This is probably due to Windows going more and more toward mobile devices and this method initially takes less space on a mobile screen. Personally I don't like it. Everything is still there but they have made it take more steps to get to a lot of things. I'm going to have to install Winaero Tweaker on my Windows 11 virtual machine to see if there is an option to restore the 'classic' context menu. OK, just did and you CAN have the old context menu back but you would need to install Winaero Tweaker to make the change.

With Winaero installed and running follow the image below. Click the image to enlarge for better viewing. Download Winaearo Tweaker here:
https://winaerotweaker.com/
Sadly you will need to right click on the download and and select 'more options' to extract the .zip file using 'extract all' and run the install program. Happily this will be the last time you need to use 'more options' unless a Windows update resets the setting. If that happens just do this again.. :)

Attachment:
11 context menu.jpg

Hi Jay......thanks for the help. I must have done something right with Winero because I can now change the name of anything on the desktop. All I have to do is right click on the desktop item that I want to change and it opens a windwow with dozens of options and then I right click again on "rename" and it highlights the text and I make the change.

While messing with the above, I also noticed that when I right click on a picture that is on the desktop, It brings up a window with the option to rename the pic but it also has an option at the very top to create a slideshow, so I opened a pictures folder with about 40 pictures on it, right clicked on the first pic, then slideshow, and Holy Moly, it took right off and ran through all the pics just like Windows 7.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:05 am 

Allyson wrote:
Hi Jay......thanks for the help. I must have done something right with Winero because I can now change the name of anything on the desktop. All I have to do is right click on the desktop item that I want to change and it opens a windwow with dozens of options and then I right click again on "rename" and it highlights the text and I make the change.

While messing with the above, I also noticed that when I right click on a picture that is on the desktop, It brings up a window with the option to rename the pic but it also has an option at the very top to create a slideshow, so I opened a pictures folder with about 40 pictures on it, right clicked on the first pic, then slideshow, and Holy Moly, it took right off and ran through all the pics just like Windows 7.

Glad that you got the rename thing working as you want. When you say that a right click on an item opens a window I think what you mean is actually the context menu. While it may look like a small window it really isn't but the difference isn't important as long as it works.

WinAero Tweaker offers a LOT of options acs to changing things but be careful. If you are not absolutely sure as to what it will do ask before doing. While it is a very good and handy tool it can easily get you in trouble.

I'm not sure, since the change, what you mean about the slideshow aspect. Using the personalize options you seemed to already be able to set an image folder as a slideshow. I thought that your issue with this was setting the image display to only be 2 seconds. :dunno:

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:20 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Allyson wrote:

Glad that you got the rename thing working as you want. When you say that a right click on an item opens a window I think what you mean is actually the context menu. While it may look like a small window it really isn't but the difference isn't important as long as it works.

WinAero Tweaker offers a LOT of options acs to changing things but be careful. If you are not absolutely sure as to what it will do ask before doing. While it is a very good and handy tool it can easily get you in trouble.

I'm not sure, since the change, what you mean about the slideshow aspect. Using the personalize options you seemed to already be able to set an image folder as a slideshow. I thought that your issue with this was setting the image display to only be 2 seconds. :dunno:

Yes, when set on the fast mode it now plays at 3 seconds per picture which is ok but clicking in between the pause, it can go faster which is normally what I do.....I am not looking at the pics, I am always searching for a particular pic.

Board index » Technical Forums » System Recovery