Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:11 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Doddie wrote:
I'm beginning to suspect the balance lies where Acadia said it would... by leaving it alone!! LOL

I've just rebooted after enabling Momentum Cache and my AS SSD Benchmark has barely changed, I'm at a loss to understand how Crucial got anywhere near the benchmarks they've published in the PDF i linked to earlier... my only reasoning can be that their marketing department were bidding for a bonus or pay rise!

That said, if performance was increased by using system memory instead of SSD memory i could absolutely understand how reliability would be increased.

I can understand your above thought but remember that you are using Windows 7 which cannot fully take advantage of these drives. Remember that you need at least Windows 8 to be able to do a manual Trim... That said I'm still up in the air myself.

LOL! Still I'm having fun and increasing my knowledge. :mrgreen: That is never a bad situation. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
LOL! Still I'm having fun and increasing my knowledge. :mrgreen: That is never a bad situation. ;)

At your age, tomorrow you'll likely have forgotten what you typed today, so yup, all good! :rofl2:

Quote:
I can understand your above thought but remember that you are using Windows 7 which cannot fully take advantage of these drives...

Intriguing that you say that, why??

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:36 pm 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

At your age, tomorrow you'll likely have forgotten what you typed today, so yup, all good! :rofl2:

Quote:
I can understand your above thought but remember that you are using Windows 7 which cannot fully take advantage of these drives...

Intriguing that you say that, why??

Simply saying that Windows 7 could be a hindrance due to Samsung Wizard stating that Windows 8 as a minimum was needed to do a manual Trim.

As far as my age and tomorrow forgetting what I typed today... Did I type something today??? ;)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Did I type something today??? ;)

Good question! It's nearly 3am here so i have no idea if it was today or yesterday for anything that happens in Wyoming! :shock:

The good news is i got confirmation from Samsung today that my free Gear VR headset will be shipped soon as a result of buying a Galaxy S8+... wrong forum i know, but hey, it's a Samsung... the wizard can wait! :twisted: :lol: :roll:

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:20 pm 

I find myself somewhat interested in VR headsets if for nothing else than my radio control vehicles. Since I'm blind in one eye I'm still casually searching as to if I can still use. Initial results point to that I can but would lose peripheral sight in the headset just like in real life.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 pm 
welcoming committee

This is likely a blindingly obvious question (no pun intended) but have you considered asking Samsung/Oculus etc what your options are?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:48 pm 

Doddie wrote:
This is likely a blindingly obvious question (no pun intended) but have you considered asking Samsung/Oculus etc what your options are?

LOL! Obviously the pun WAS intended or you would not have mentioned... ;)

Actually I have talked with some vendors which is where I've gotten the info that it should work with loss of side vision on the blind side.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

It wasn't, i am well aware of your sight issues and only flagged "the pun" in an attempt to avoid... you're right, in hindsight i shouldn't have mentioned it at all.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 am 

Doddie wrote:
jaylach wrote:

It wasn't, i am well aware of your sight issues and only flagged "the pun" in an attempt to avoid... you're right, in hindsight i shouldn't have mentioned it at all.

LOL! No worries at all Doddie. I've been blind in the right eye since 1973. I'm sort of used to it. ;) As I'm sure I've said before it is amazing how the human brain can come up with other ways of doing things. Of course, with only one eye, I do not have true depth perception. Yet, two years after losing the use, I won an MVP trophy in a softball tournament playing outfield. If playing outfield does not involve judging depth I'd like to know what does. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:32 am 
welcoming committee

My over 5-year old system came with a SSD, on the newest Windows at the time, Win7. I can do a manual TRIM any time I want and do so according to the SSDs manufacturers recommendations, once a week. I like to compare it to defragging a mechanical drive once a week, except TRIMing only takes a few seconds and there is no fun defragging display to watch. :wink:

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 pm 
welcoming committee

I've removed the Crucial "Momentum Cache", as a test i selected multiple large movies to download from usenet and at the same time unpacked the rar files as each movie download completed, the "Momentum Cache" simply couldn't cope with the demand and my entire pc would pause and become unusable for about 10-20 seconds every couple of minutes, that might make sense if the saving to disc and/or the unpacking of the rar files was quicker than previous but i didn't see any performance increase in either the speed of unpacking the rar files or the speed at which my NNTP software saved individual files to the drive.

Prior to enabling Momentum Cache my pc was more than capable of handling all of the above, and more, simultaneously without any slow down let alone periodic freezing.

Fyi: My preferred NNTP client is Grabit, i have it set for 22 simultaneous connections, i almost always max out my ISP download speed cap resulting in a constant download speed somewhere between 350-380Mbps. (I'm supposed to be on a 300Mbps connection with my ISP, gotta love the overhead they give! lol)
Between the data downloading, Grabit converting the data into files and saving each circa~50MB file to disc, Quickpar checking the rar files for errors, 7-Zip unpacking the files... there's a hell of a lot of number crunching going on which is clearly too much for Momentum Cache.

To summarise, imo Crucial really need to revisit their software (or drivers?), although in fairness they didn't claim there would be a performance increase with Momentum Cache... just that it "may"... what i didn't expect was a hit though! :roll:
I've re-enabled Over-Provisioning even though i don't see any performance increase, oddly Crucial claim i will, at least i don't see a performance hit.
I live in hope that their other claim about OP extending Endurance is true... how a humble end user will ever be able to prove that is beyond me, 2 years left of my 3 year warranty might come back to haunt them if it doesn't! :lol:

Board index » Technical Forums » Partitioning and dual booting