Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:07 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I can figure out your post, so don't worry about it. You just repeated a few paragraphs, probably to make sure I was paying attention. But I do understand what you are saying. I will do the cloning of XP before I go to bed tonight; I also want to create a system image of my new computer (something I've been trying to do every couple of days). Then in the morning I will get XP up to USB 2.0 and my devices registered. The only two I plan on registering at this time are my printer and external disk.

Speaking of printers, I did find my printer utility disk, which should contain the necessary drivers. So I assume within XP I just invoke 'add a printer' and follow the wizard.

Thanks again Professor for all your help..........

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:08 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I must admit that I have never looked at the VirtualBox manual. All my posts were strictly from doing then posting. For some weird reason I just seem to get along with these things.

Don't get me wrong! If one were to want to get serious about the virtual environment I would strongly suggest that one should go through such a manual. There are MANY setting possibilities within the VirtualBox VM settings that I have zero clue as to what they do. It was just not within the scope of this thread that I needed to know these fine points.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 pm 

bbarry wrote:
Jay, I can figure out your post, so don't worry about it. You just repeated a few paragraphs, probably to make sure I was paying attention. But I do understand what you are saying. I will do the cloning of XP before I go to bed tonight; I also want to create a system image of my new computer (something I've been trying to do every couple of days). Then in the morning I will get XP up to USB 2.0 and my devices registered. The only two I plan on registering at this time are my printer and external disk.

Speaking of printers, I did find my printer utility disk, which should contain the necessary drivers. So I assume within XP I just invoke 'add a printer' and follow the wizard.

Thanks again Professor for all your help..........

AFTER making your XP backup you will register your printer. When registering the printer it should be turned on. After registering turn the printer off and run the printer install within XP. It will tell you when to turn on the printer.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:41 pm 
welcoming committee

When I was downloading/installing VirtualBox, I did direct it to my D: drive......and indeed there is a bunch of stuff there.

But my XP installation (which I simply called XP Pro) went to the same place as yours, on my C: drive. I wondered where it went, because I was never asked where I wanted XP Pro installed. That's OK, but it took me awhile tonight to find the files you were talking about, because I kept looking on the D: drive.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:26 pm 
welcoming committee

After downloading/installing the VM Extension Pack and enabling USB 2.0, I attempted to register my USB printer and USB external drive. The printer registered and was later successfully installed within XP (using the printer utility disk containing drivers).

However, the external drive did not register. I received the error "Failed to attach the USB device Seagate external drive to the virtual machine XP Pro (Error: VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS)".

I first thought this failure was due to the fact that the external drive is attached to a USB 3.0 port. However, so is the printer and the network adapter which are working just fine in XP.

The Seagate drive box proudly says USB 3.0, but I thought such devices were backward compatibility to 2.0. I know for a fact that the drive worked on my old computer which only has 2.0 ports.

So could the fact that this is a 3.0 drive plugged into a 3.0 port on my new computer be causing VM a problem? I'm tempted to disconnect the external drive and plug in a simple flash drive. But I'm not sure how to do this without messing up the device registeration.

Is it simply a matter of removing the external drive from the device filter list, physically replacing the external drive with a flash drive, and then registering the flash drive?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:37 pm 

That is exactly what you would do. In settings under USB uncheck the external if it shows in the list. Plug in the flash drive, with or without removing the external from the host machine, plug in the flash drive and register.

When you start XP you should see the installing new hardware dialog, that would be the flash drive.

I cannot get the external drive I've been playing with to work either. I have suspected that it might be the size as it is 4TB. It WILL register and can be seen in Disk Management but will not accept a drive letter.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Jay. I've got to leave the house for a couple of hours, but I will do all of this when I return. I also want to play around with shared folders, improved resolution of XP on my screen, and maybe even see if my XP VM will recognize my wireless printer.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:18 pm 

It will probably recognize the wireless printer but I would think that you would want to register and install the wireless adapter first.

On the resolution for XP remember that you do not have all the settings of your physical machine. XP has its own virtual video and the resolution is restricted by that video. I show a max resolution of 1600X1200. If wanted this can be scaled to full screen.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go...

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:17 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
It will probably recognize the wireless printer but I would think that you would want to register and install the wireless adapter first.

On the resolution for XP remember that you do not have all the settings of your physical machine. XP has its own virtual video and the resolution is restricted by that video. I show a max resolution of 1600X1200. If wanted this can be scaled to full screen.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go...

OK, I had success with the flash drive plugged into the same 3.0 port that my Seagate external drive was plugged into. It took me two attempts to register the flash drive because the first time I forgot to power off the XP VM. I'm wondering if I made that same mistake when I tried to register my Seagate external drive? I may have to try that again.

When I started XP back up, as you predicted I saw the installing new hardware dialog for the flash drive. I could then access the drive and transfer some files.

If you recall, my network adapter, wireless mouse and wired keyboard worked in XP without me having to go through the formality of registering these three devices. In fact, what caused my first VM to crater was because I did try to register the keyboard and mouse. These two devices then became inoperative so I was dead in the water.

That's when I created my 2nd XP VM, and with the exception of not needing the product code, that time around it all went exactly as you said it would. I even got the prompt to add the system to my 'homegroup' network, after which my USB network adapter was recognized and I was able to connect to the internet. Per your recommendation, I then installed the free version of AVAST.

So right now I'm a happy camper. I can live without the Seagate external drive if I have to. I would like for XP to use the entire screen without losing the bottom tool bar, so I need to work on that.

My one remaining really-important task is to get my fourth and final 'old program' (my Address Book) up and running. Although the program is legit, I never bothered to register it. Then a couple of years ago I started getting this popup stating that I could only use the program 15 more time without registering it. Which I can't do because the company went out of business and their phone number & website are no longer valid. In the process of trying to install this program in my XP VM, I got the dreaded message...you can only use this program 0 more times without registering it. :cry:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:27 pm 

I'll start at the bottom and work up.

1) The fourth old program... I don't get this one at all but do have a couple of thoughts.
a. Was this actually a trial version that you had just not yet used 15 times?
b. Was this a program with a yearly subscription?
Even if a. is accurate I still don't get it as it should be seen as never used. Is it possible that there is a key code involved that has not been entered? Is there an option to enter a key code? Can you give me the name of the program and the manufacturer? No promises but I MAY be able to find something.

2) I have XP set to a resolution of 1600X1200 which puts it in a window. Now check this out... do the same. You will set this resolution within XP not Win 7. See the title bar at the top of the XP window? It should include the test 'XP Pro (running) - Oracle VM VirtualBox'. Double click that title bar and be thrilled and happy. :mrgreen:

3) Adding the system to Homegroup was what automatically turned on or made it use your network adapter. However Homegroup will not work as no actual network has been set up. Since Win 7 and XP are, in essence, two different systems it just MAY be possible to set up a network between the two where you can actually access physical drives on the Win 7 system from XP. I will try to remember to look in to this aspect. If you don't hear back within a couple of days remind me. I had a bit of a 'brain cloud' on this one as you had access to the internet all along even before enabling Homegroup. All you probably needed to do was to go to settings then Networks. In that settings field there is an option named 'Attached to' with a pull down menu. It probably now shows as NAT. All along you probably could have used the pull down selection to select your host adapter. I am sorry for this lapse in memory. You can actually select up to 4 different network connections through this setting area.

4) If you try to attach the Seagate again remember my issue and keep in mind the size of the drive. If it is over 2TB it will fail even if partitioned. To go over 2TB the drive must be setup as GTP, not MBR. XP only handles MBR. Even if partitioned XP will not properly handle a drive over 2TB. I don't see a reason to try to explain the differences between MBR and GTP in this thread. It is just what it is.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:41 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, I have recently solved a couple of my issues, as follows:
1) I got my fourth old program running (it's called My Advanced Mail List). I still had the program diskettes (4 of them on 3-1/2" floppies). So once you showed me how to register various USB devices, I plugged in and registered an old USB floppy drive and then installed the program again. I now have 24 more times to use the program. The program is about 25 years old........no product code back then, just a serial number that wasn't needed for this install. So now all four old programs are up and running!!
2) I kept fiddle-farting around with the View settings on the VB Manager, and suddenly this window popped up suggesting I reinstall the Guest Additions from the Devices menu in XP (Insert Guest Additions CD Image). I did this and suddenly I have a full screen in XP and all the programs, so I am happy. And I'm reluctant to now double click on the title bar in fear that I will screw things up.
3) I would sure like to access the physical drives on Win 7 from XP. That feature was available in XP Mode and I used it often. So I will remind you in a couple of days to see if your brain cloud has dissipated, lol.
4) I haven't tried my external drive again, but I know it's only 2 TB. It was actually to be used on my iMac, so I had to reformat it for Windows. I know it works in Windows because I copied a lot of files to it, but that may be why VB doesn't like it. I will investigate it further.

All of my different flash drives are working in XP, although I have to register each one separately (even when they are identical drives). So my list of registered USB devices is getting rather long, lol.

Anyway, all four old programs are now working as well or better than they did under XP Mode.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:16 am 

I'm not surprised that you programs MAY be working a bit better in VB than XP Mode. XP Mode was a GREAT thing and I wish it would be brought back to the extreme allowing ALL previous versions on MS OSs including all the way back to DOS. Of course this is not going to happen so it is what it is.

The reason I'm not surprised that you see your programs performing possibly better now than with XP Mode is a simple factor of the usage of resources. It is all about a trade off. In XP Mode host resources were used to allow the full integration between Win 7 and XP Mode. This was great as you could set things up so that you did not even have to open XP Mode directly to run the software as you could do it directly from Win 7. This was nice and convenient but caused long load times as the whole thing was basically a fraud. Yes, it was nice being able to attach an XP Mode file to Win 7 without having to actually open the XP VM but it was still a lie other than for a saving of clicks. The long load times were a result of the simple fact that even though the link to the program resided in Win 7 the XP virtual environment still had to open before the program could run.

Did I miss or did we just go astray? I thought that we had already covered Guest Additions by the fact that you were able to get USB 2 enabled... ?

Something that you MAY find strange with your flash drives... Yes you register and they will be installed and useable in XP. You pull the drive and go to XP and it just won't be there. Plug it back in in the same port as the first time and all should be fine. Plug it in another port and you MAY have to register again. While VB does USB pretty well it is still a bit quirky.

LOL! Oh you timid person... :mrgreen: Go ahead and double click the title bar in XP. It is just a toggle between full screen and windowed. Of course, just to be safe, always do that image thing by copying all the XP files to another location. This is your failsafe. Play all you want and have fun! As long as you copy all the XP files to another location first you are safe. If you blow the thing up you just copy the backup back to the working folder.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:20 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Did I miss or did we just go astray? I thought that we had already covered Guest Additions by the fact that you were able to get USB 2 enabled... ?

Something that you MAY find strange with your flash drives... Yes you register and they will be installed and useable in XP. You pull the drive and go to XP and it just won't be there. Plug it back in in the same port as the first time and all should be fine. Plug it in another port and you MAY have to register again. While VB does USB pretty well it is still a bit quirky.

LOL! Oh you timid person... :mrgreen: Go ahead and double click the title bar in XP. It is just a toggle between full screen and windowed. Of course, just to be safe, always do that image thing by copying all the XP files to another location. This is your failsafe. Play all you want and have fun! As long as you copy all the XP files to another location first you are safe. If you blow the thing up you just copy the backup back to the working folder.

No, you didn't miss anything as regards Guest Additions. I did as you instructed.......downloaded and let the program run before I upgraded to USB 2.0. But then I got the pop up window when I was working with screen size and resolution. I forgot the exact wording, but it said even if I had previously installed GA, I might need to reinstall. So I did......resulting in a full screen.

And regarding flash drives, I did discover that if I plug one back into the same port, then I don't have to re-register it. I was using several flash drives to transfer many different data files from my old to my new computer. I had copied most of these to the Seagate external drive, which unfortunately would not work under VirtualBox.

OK, I won't be timid.....later after I save my XP files I will double click on the title bar in XP.

BTW, now that you have helped me install VB and VM XP, and then work out all my issues, I am really liking it. My only purpose for needing a virtual machine was to run my four old programs, and they are all working great.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:41 pm 

I think that you will also see that VB boots faster than XP Mode. Of course with the full integration XP Mode had more to do.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:02 pm 
welcoming committee

I should perhaps start a new post, but since this sorta relates to my ongoing virtual machine issue, I will post it here (and the moderators can move it if they need to).

Well, I encountered another virtual machine problem......not on my new computer, but on my old computer where I was running VPC XP Mode. In that environment, my anti-virus program AVG could not be updated. I guess it no longer supports XP. So I was always careful not to log on to the internet from XP Mode. Since I had just successfully installed AVAST in my VM XP on my new computer, I decided to do so on my old computer. Somewhere in the installation process, AVAST went screwy on me and now I can no longer get into my XP Mode screen. All I get is the blue background with a big AVAST Antivirus Free picture frozen in the middle of the screen.

Is there a way I can recover from this or do I need to reinstall VPC XP Mode? I still want a virtual machine on the old computer, but I can't install VirtualBox unless I purchase another copy of XP Pro.

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated (other than telling me I should have left well enough alone, lol).

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:16 pm 

Did you uninstall AVG before installing Avast?

I don't suppose that you took my advice about creating a 'system image' by backing up the VM files to also include doing so with any VM including XP Mode...

Not even sure it is supported but can you get in to XP Mode in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:39 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay -
- Yes to 1; I even had to uninstall two components of AVG
- Not sure about 2; I have backed up VM XP twice now, but I didn't think to do it with XP Mode before I installed Avast. However, in the past I did save some XP Mode files to a file within My Documents. What files to reinstall should I be looking for?
- I will try Safe Mode

Thanks.....

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 pm 

You would want the virtual hard drive. I believe that in XP Mode the extension is .vhd.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:56 pm 

Bill I am REALLY sorry but you are going to have to setup your XP VM again. The ISO I sent to you is flawed. I have put up another, the link will be in a PM. It seems that the slipstream to XP SP3 was botched, it installs but just isn't right.

I would burn the ISO then launch your current XP with the new CD in your optical drive. When asked if you want to repair XP or do a fresh install do the fresh. Delete the active partition and create a new. You will be starting fresh but your registered devices will still be registered. Sadly you WILL have to reinstall your old programs and device software such as your printer. Sigh, at least it does not take a long time to do.

I DID try to do a repair install to see if we could keep your current device and program installs but the flaw caused by the bad original ISO prevents a repair install from finishing.

When you launch the new CD you will be given the initial choice as to if you want to repair or install, choose install. Read the screens carefully as to what keys to hit to do a new install, delete the current partition and format. While it would probably work I suggest that you do NOT choose to do a quick format.

Again I am REALLY sorry. This is totally my bad. When you go to activate it is your choice whether to just activate or activate and register. Since XP is past its end of life I would just activate. While I doubt it the possibility is there that you will have to activate by phone. If this is the case, and the automated system does not work, just tell the live person that you are setting up a VM and it took several attempts to get it right.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:29 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
You would want the virtual hard drive. I believe that in XP Mode the extension is .vhd.

OK, problem solved on my old computer. I did a right-click on the running .vmcx file and selected restore to previous versions. I then selected a version from last week and all is well. The system must have done the restore points because I didn't.

The one thing I still don't understand is that Avast free now says it has been successfully installed. So I will live with that for awhile.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:35 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Bill I am REALLY sorry but you are going to have to setup your XP VM again. The ISO I sent to you is flawed. I have put up another, the link will be in a PM. It seems that the slipstream to XP SP3 was botched, it installs but just isn't right.

I would burn the ISO then launch your current XP with the new CD in your optical drive. When asked if you want to repair XP or do a fresh install do the fresh. Delete the active partition and create a new. You will be starting fresh but your registered devices will still be registered. Sadly you WILL have to reinstall your old programs and device software such as your printer. Sigh, at least it does not take a long time to do.

I DID try to do a repair install to see if we could keep your current device and program installs but the flaw caused by the bad original ISO prevents a repair install from finishing.

When you launch the new CD you will be given the initial choice as to if you want to repair or install, choose install. Read the screens carefully as to what keys to hit to do a new install, delete the current partition and format. While it would probably work I suggest that you do NOT choose to do a quick format.

Again I am REALLY sorry. This is totally my bad. When you go to activate it is your choice whether to just activate or activate and register. Since XP is past its end of life I would just activate. While I doubt it the possibility is there that you will have to activate by phone. If this is the case, and the automated system does not work, just tell the live person that you are setting up a VM and it took several attempts to get it right.

Jay, don't worry about it. I will get the reinstall of XP VM done in the next couple of days......you gave me good instructions and I made notes. Without your help I wouldn't be this far along anyway.....you taught me a lot. And as Pete would probably say, I need the practice.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:51 am 
welcoming committee

ROFL. Practice always makes the next time easier.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:09 am 

BTW, I now have an external USB drive attached to my XP install without issue other than the boot time being longer. I attached a 640GB drive via a drive dock. Registered the dock and booted XP. XP installed the drive and everything was proper.

The reason that I could not get the 4TB drive was probably not due to the size but rather that it was set up with the GPT system instead of MBR. XP doesn't do GPT which would explain why the drive showed up in Disk Management but I could not assign a drive letter.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:32 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I successfully burned the ISO but initially I couldn't get my optical drive recognized, so XP setup would not start. I went into VB->Settings->Storage and noticed that my Host Drive F(:), which is my CD drive, was not listed under XP Pro.vdi anymore. Instead, what was listed was 'VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. So I had to change that back to (F:), and XP Pro then installed exactly like you said it would on a new formatted drive. I was asked for the product key code, and I was able to activate via the internet.

However, I have encountered a few issues that I was hoping you could help me with while I go away and re-install my four old programs. These issues are:
(1) My XP desktop still does not fill the entire screen like I got it to do a couple of days ago. Double clicking the XP icon in upper left corner like you advised makes it a little larger but still not full screen. Recall me telling you that I previously got to full screen by clicking on Devices on the XP tool bar and then selecting 'Insert Guest Additions CD Image" even though I had already installed Guest Additions? Well, I did that again but this time it didn't take me to full screen. What it did do (again) was to replace (F:) in Storage with that VboxGuestAdditions.iso, so my CD drive is again not operable.

(2) Although I can connect to the internet, I can't get to most sites, especially secure sites. So I can't load Avast because I get an error message stating that 'this page can't be found'. When I run the Diagnose Connection Problems tool, I get the error message "Windows can't connect to Internet using HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) or FTP port (21) - check firewall settings. All that is Greek to me....I temporarily turned my firewall off but that didn't help.

Instructional help would be appreciated..........thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 pm 

1) Don't click the XP icon, double click an empty space to the right but still in the title bar. Doing this while not in full screen will put you to full screen. If already in full screen it will put you back to the smaller size. Have you increased your XP screen resolution from the default 800X600 to 1152X864 or 1600X1200?

Anytime that you mount an ISO to the optical drive it will replace the host drive. You just set it back to the host drive in settings. It will be very rare that you will mount an ISO so really should not be an issue. If it is an issue you could add a second optical drive under Storage in Settings.

2) Make sure that you have done all your updates if possible. Under Network in Settings make sure that the adapter is attached to 'NAT'. Before doing updates I believe that you will be in IE 6 or 7. Even after all updates you will still only be in IE8 as that is the last version of IE compatible with XP. You might want to try Firefox.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines