Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines

Post subject: Strange install...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm setting up some virtual machines using VirtualBox. Right now I just have XP and Windows 8.1. The install of 8.1 is the reason for this thread.

The install of 8.1 was rather odd in that I have a retail box for 8.0 which I tried to use intending to upgrade to 8.1. Not a chance as the 8.0 install just plain would not successfully complete. I mean it would install but would not activate. During the install it would accept my legit key code and continue without issue. Once installed it would fail to activate saying that there was no identifiable product ID. On this screen it wanted a key code input. It totally refused to accept my valid code.

So what to do? I went to the MS site and downloaded the media creation tool for Windows 8.1 and tried that as an install burning a DVD. It worked perfectly using my Windows 8.0 key code. It activated without issue and all is well.

While, for me, this was not a needed install it still raises a question. I'm sure that I'm not the only person that bought 8.0. Since a VM works exactly as a physical machine it would seem that a retail install of 8.0 will fail due to not being able to activate.

To my thinking this is not a good situation.

Board index » Technical Forums » Virtual Machines