Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:07 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Not really any major issue but I can't seem to keep a playlist intact in WMP. :x

I have tried totally re-indexing the music library which is on my 4TB media drive with no success.

I can use Windows Explorer and delete the playlists and then put back and they come right up and work. However, if I close WMP and re-open, the playlists are gone.

Music wise I really only have one playlist and have pinned it to the Task Bar. To be honest this method is actually a step saver as I just right click on the WMP icon in the Task Bar and select the playlist. WMP opens already in 'Now Playing' with my default visualization active.

Since my system has a couple of other quirks since I did the clean install of Win 7, and switched to AHCI in my BIOS, I am thinking that it is an issue with AHCI and SATA2, my mother board is only SATA 2, not SATA3. I am thinking that AHCI is not totally happy with SATA2. For instance all drives are actually seen as SCSI drives in the BIOS and the 'USB Safely Remove' utility sees them as USB drives. Also the monitor for my SSD does not work as the drive is seen as a SCSI instead of an SSD. At one point the monitor for the SSD did work but I can't remember how I was set up at the time.

Any response to the above is likely to be after the fact on my next experiment but my thought is that the fact that the drives under AHCI being seen as SCSI and USB is the cause of the quirks. While I like the S.M.A.R.T. reports on booting under AHCI I THINK that I may be better off going back to IDE mode until I upgrade my mother board to SATA3.

Anyway... does my logic seem sound?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:58 am 
Fearless Leader

I don't know, Jay. I see this as a software quirk. Do you have a folder called playlists in your Music folder?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:02 am 

Actually there are two, Playlists and My Playlists.

I have not yet made the test of going back to IDE in the BIOS.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:09 pm 
Fearless Leader

Check the permissions on those folders. Make sure Media Player can actually write to them.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:51 pm 

Good point! I am also rather curious as to why I have both 'Playlists' and 'My Playlists' so I moved one to another drive and am in the process of resetting the library. That process is going to take a while as I am also doing volume leveling.

Hmmm, I just tried a little test in relation to the permissions without checking permissions... I created a new playlist by just adding everything from one artist. The playlist showed up and was totally functional. Closed WMP and opened, the playlist was gone. I checked in Win Explorer and the playlist was written to the drive. LOL! At least I found out that WMP wants the playlists in 'Playlists', not 'My Playlists' folder but, of course, for the test run I had kept 'My Playlists'. ;)

If you remember the Win 7 registry hack to add 'Take Ownership' to the right click context menu I did just run that routine. I'll report back if it helps. Actually we don't have to wait. I also just went to permissions for the music folder and I'll bet dollars to donuts that my Sync Toy setup is the culprit. I'm not saying that Sync Toy is at fault but the fault may be in how I set it up. All of a sudden I have a user listed under permissions named "WMPNetworkSvc". This user only had read access. I have changed the permissions to full.

I will report back... :)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:52 am 
Fearless Leader

WMPNetworkSvc is for sharing music across your network. It doesn't need full permissions, and in fact, I generally disable the service. You, on the other hand, may actually share music across your computers. I don't.

Take Ownership is good and may work.

I don't see how SyncToy could cause that, Jay, no matter how you set it up.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:06 am 

I misread 'WMPNetworkSvc' as 'WMPNetworkSnc'. The 'Snc' made me think of Sync Toy and, since I had not recalled ever seeing that user before, I made a wrong assumption.

After changing permissions there is no difference.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:28 pm 

Oh, I did try one other thing. To sort of confirm that the issue is not with the way my data and media drives are seen I moved the Playlist folder to the 'My Music' within my user account and added that folder to the Library. Same result.

I've decided not to try reverting back to IDE mode in the BIOS. While it MIGHT actually be the issue it is not enough of an issue to warrant losing the performance increase and S.M.A.R.T. report on each boot. Actually I have doubts that it is the issue but then again I didn't have this before switching BIOS modes. Besides I only have the one playlist that I use and it is pinned to the task bar. Since I have WMP set for shuffle, and I don't have to go to library then now playing for my visuals, just selecting the playlist from the task bar is how I'd go anyway. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:58 pm 
Fearless Leader

Try the Zune software. Very nice.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:18 pm 

I've heard that Zune is nice but I am totally stuck on a specific visualization pack in WMP, that being the Psychedelia Viz Pack, specifically the Ribbons aspect.

Regardless I WILL take a peek at Zune. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing