Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:15 am 
welcoming committee

Hi BB

What I would suggested is order one from Amazon, and try it. If it doesn't work send it back. I have one of these and it works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Militar ... AQ6HAYCEDD

Pete

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:33 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi BB

What I would suggested is order one from Amazon, and try it. If it doesn't work send it back. I have one of these and it works fine.

Pete

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Thanks for the link.......

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:34 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Personally I don't consider the mounting of an image and testing a single file valid anyway. Even if the selected file performed perfectly it would not mean that the image was solid. I would consider the following a MUCH more valid test of the image... I have never done this so it is possible that it may not work but I don't see a reason why.
1) Of course make the image.
2) Install either Virtual PC, VirtualBox or the VM of your choice.
3) Mount the system image as the boot drive in the VM. (With Win 7 SP1 or a later OS the boot will, most likely, survive driver conflicts)

Hi Jay

I agree that most novices are backup blind. But if they have the desire they can be trained. But if Macrium was preinstalled, at least there is a help file, and everything is in one place. Even with my experience it just never occured to me to look in Disk Management.

Now as to the validity of mounting an checking an image. Keep in mind I am speak from the vantage point, of doing several thousand restores with various computers and imaging program, but mainly ShadowProtect and Macrium. I've seen a case where the image mounted but wasn't accessible. The image verified just fine, but an actual restore attempt failed. Ergo bad image. On the other hand when the files I use, (a pdf with a video embedded) can play back, I've never had an image restore fail.

Candidly, I wouldn't go to the trouble of trying what you propose as the bottom line is I want to be 110% certain of an image, I simply restore it to the system. That is the 100% certain test, and I do it frequently. Macrium's fast speed becomes important here.

Finally the acid test to which I now submit any imaging program I use. I image the system, restore it, and if that goes okay, I start another restore, and once into the restore I do a power reset on the system. This usually results in a trashed drive. I then repeat the restore, and the system should be back as it was before. Give it a try on any imaging program you trust.

Pete

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi BB

Pete

I ordered the Transcend drive you recommended.....should be here Thurs. I order most of my electronic stuff from B&H Photo in New York. They provide free expedited shipping without having to purchase movies and all the other hoops that Amazon makes you jump through. Don't misunderstand....I do order a lot of stuff from Amazon. But my last Amazon order on 5 March for 7 items came in 3 different packages with delivery spread over different days. In fact, the last item has yet to arrive.

Thanks again........

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:04 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:
Hi BB

Pete

I ordered the Transcend drive you recommended.....should be here Thurs. I order most of my electronic stuff from B&H Photo in New York. They provide free expedited shipping without having to purchase movies and all the other hoops that Amazon makes you jump through. Don't misunderstand....I do order a lot of stuff from Amazon. But my last Amazon order on 5 March for 7 items came in 3 different packages with delivery spread over different days. In fact, the last item has yet to arrive.

Thanks again........

Hmm. I don't jump thru any hoops with amazon. Only reason I suggested them is you can return stuff. If you can do that with B&H then that's cool.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:04 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I can personally validate B&H. In fact I have a 300 MM telephoto lens for my camera that retails at ~$650.00. I got it through them for $300.00.

While I will use Amazon and even eBay now and then I just don't like. I'll buy books and such through either but I shy away when it comes to electronics.

I'm not saying that there is normally anything wrong with Amazon or eBay ..... Sigh, I just don't like the feel.

For electronics my three top choices are Tiger Direct, Newegg and B&H. B&H will tend to be the highest price but their support is off the charts.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:13 am 
welcoming committee

GG swears by B&H, that's the only place where she'll buy her camera equipment.
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:08 am 
welcoming committee

I admit B&H does look interesting, kinda like the old JR Music. But not sure what there is about the "feel" of amazon. Recently bought a high end Asus monitor. Entered the order, provided payment detail and 2 days later had the monitor. Can't speak to Amazon's support. I've never needed it.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:07 am 
welcoming committee

These days, I usually find BH to be very competitive in their prices, and if you purchase more than $50, expedited shipping is free. For the drive I just ordered, the BH price was the same as Amazon.

Like I say, I do order a lot of stuff from Amazon,, but it's usually clothes, dog stuff, household stuff, etc. After I place my order with Amazon is when the fun & games begin:
- To get reasonably-fast shipping, they urge me to sign up for Prime at $99/yr. This gets me faster shipping and a bunch of stuff I don't want (movies, TV programs, music, photo storage, etc.......none of which have anything to do with the shirts and dog treats I just ordered)
- But if my order is over $50, Amazon promises free shipping. But their free shipping without Prime is so slow.
- Then after the order is placed, they tell me my seven items will be divided into three shipments, each with different slow delivery dates. This is after the website assured me that all items were in stock.

Once my Amazon orders do arrive, they are typically complete, accurate and in good shape. But I'm finding that there are other companies that sell stuff for about the same price, with no hassles and true expedited delivery.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.........

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 am 
welcoming committee

If I were looking for an item that B&H has, then I would go with B&H. But I must admit, as huge as Amazon is, and the fact that you can find practically anything there, I am impressed. I order so much stuff from Amazon, GG and I hate going to the malls, that I am trying their Prime thingie. So far it is great, items in two days and no shipping fee; we can cancel the Prime for no charge after 30 days if I do not want it anymore. Also, I signed up for their Amazon credit card thru Chase bank. It gets me money off any purchase in the future that I choose, plus money off gasoline purchases. Loved it, then somehow, someone charged $105 on that card. Fortunately I detected it immediately and now have a new card; would love to know how they got my credit card number. I only used it at two places, Amazon and for gasoline, perhaps a skimmer at the gas station, but I always check the pumps to see if they look cool. Anyway, no harm done, and I now have all purchases on the Amazon card being checked by Lifelock and Experian.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:48 am 

I can't really say exactly what it is about Amazon that I don't really like. I've never really had a bad experience other than orders being late and all the unsolicited emails. Like I said I have used them but pretty much only for books.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:08 pm 
welcoming committee

I have two bros.and a sister living in the same town as me. One brother has Amazon Prime but we split the cost. We just call him and he orders for us.We pay him at pickup.

We all live within 10 mins of each other. Works for us.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:27 pm 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
... Works for us.

Wow, I should say it does. The $99 a year Prime divided by 4, only $25 a year for each family member, all shipping free and within two days, sounds like a winner.

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:26 pm 
welcoming committee

chasbox wrote:
I have two bros.and a sister living in the same town as me. One brother has Amazon Prime but we split the cost. We just call him and he orders for us.We pay him at pickup.

We all live within 10 mins of each other. Works for us.

Hey, that is great. I live in Arkansas.......is that close enough to get in on this deal? Then it would only be $20/year for each of us. :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:33 pm 
welcoming committee

Close I live in Connecticut ;)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:45 pm 

I have Prime over here but didn't want the movies and such so split it with my daughter and her hubby, I get the next day delivery and free shipping plus deals on my Kindle books etc. and they get all the shows and movies.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 pm 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
I have Prime over here but didn't want the movies and such so split it with my daughter and her hubby, I get the next day delivery and free shipping plus deals on my Kindle books etc. and they get all the shows and movies.

Well, darn..........that's not close to Arkansas either.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:37 pm 
welcoming committee

I use Prime and I really like it as I can order some small item like a 9.95 flash usb drive if I want it and it still is free day shipping. That way I don't have to save up ordering. I've paid the fee easily.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:02 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Hi BB

Pete

Hi Pete - My Transcend 2TB external drive arrived yesterday.......the one you recommended. The first thing I did was check the sector size.......'twas 512 instead of 4096 (yea!). And then before I went to bed, I started a full Windows backup on my old Win 7 Ultimate computer (system image and all files recommended by Windows). And it worked, although it took several hours at the slower USB 2.0 speed (plus I just have a lot of stuff on that 7-year old computer). So I am a happy camper in that regard, and I will probably never buy another Seagate.....I like the looks & feel of the little Transcend.

So thanks again for the recommendation :bow7:

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:06 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
Hi Pete - My Transcend 2TB external drive arrived yesterday.......the one you recommended. The first thing I did was check the sector size.......'twas 512 instead of 4096 (yea!). And then before I went to bed, I started a full Windows backup on my old Win 7 Ultimate computer (system image and all files recommended by Windows). And it worked, although it took several hours at the slower USB 2.0 speed (plus I just have a lot of stuff on that 7-year old computer). So I am a happy camper in that regard, and I will probably never buy another Seagate.....I like the looks & feel of the little Transcend.

Glad to here it. Yes they are good little drives. I do like the ruggedized drives.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:05 pm 

Peter2150 wrote:
bbarry wrote:

Glad to here it. Yes they are good little drives. I do like the ruggedized drives.

Just curious but in both the quotes above is the word 'little'. Are these 2.5 inch drives?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, the physical size of the little drive is 3"x5", so it must be a 2.5" drive. Remember, the one I bought is a portable drive and would fit in a (big) shirt pocket.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:51 pm 

OK, Thanks. Like I said I was just curious.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing