Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Re: Possible new system
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yep, a good turn-a-round but didn't solve the issue. This brings it to either the CPU or memory. LOL! This is ALL my own fault for always saying how easy it is to build your own. :mrgreen:

I have a support request in at AMD but have not yet received a response about something that seems a bit odd about the CPU. There are four areas where there are no pins. Diagonally opposed areas have what sort of look like a bent pin but, using a magnifying glass, it LOOKS like the pins are actually intact and what looks like bent pins are actually connections between pins. I just can't find a good enough image of the CPU to be sure. Here is an image of what I'm talking about.
Attachment:
ryzen cpu.png
ryzen cpu.png [ 240.27 KiB | Viewed 11839 times ]

Since it is symmetrical my guess is that it is as it should be but won't know for sure until I get a support response.

The other possibility is the memory I purchased. This is totally my fault if this is the case as I seem to have failed in my research. The board uses DDR4 memory but not ALL DDR4. ASRock offers a list of compatible memory but I didn't see it. The memory I got is not on the list. One would think that if it can use DDR4 memory it should be able to use any DDR4 memory but it has to be remembered that this mobo/CPU setup is almost not yet obsolete just being released in March of 2017. If this ends up being the issue Newegg has already agreed to allow me to return the purchased memory and purchase memory that is on the compatible list. I would probably go with a pair of G-Skill sticks. Neither Crucial nor Corsair have memory on the list that can run at 3200 MHz.. Actually there is already memory listed on the list that will run at 3600 MHz. but I doubt that I'll pay the price as it would be counter productive to what I'm thinking. This is like a catch 22 as the current memory would likely work if I could flash the BIOS to the most current but I can't do that if I can't boot the system. ;)

It will all work out in the end game and, so far, vendors are playing nice. The down side is that, if it is actually bent pins on the CPU, AMD support states that they do not cover bent pins under warranty. I'm sure that they assume the pins would be bent while mounting. This is not the case as I noticed the oddity as soon as I took the CPU out of the package. Even if AMD gives me grief I'll just return through Newegg.

As strange as this may sound I sort of find this fun. It is actually helping me decide if I will re-open my build/repair business again. ;)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:07 pm 

I have to give Newegg.com credit. They claim that I should not be having these issues with the build. They are sending me a new CPU and memory without my even going through the return process of the originals. They said that they wanted me to get the new stuff ASAP so we will deal with returns after the fact.

I really don't know if this service is normal practice of if it involves the fact that I am a 'Premier Member' and have been dealing with them since 2001 when they opened.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:03 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Diagonally opposed areas have what sort of look like a bent pin but, using a magnifying glass, it LOOKS like the pins are actually intact and what looks like bent pins are actually connections between pins. I just can't find a good enough image of the CPU to be sure.

I'm finding it impossible to tell from your pic what you mean but your description is clear, this might help...

It appears to be the same CPU as yours, AMD Ryzen 7 1800X...

https://hothardware.com/gallery/article ... om.jpg&p=1

Save the picture to your pc and zoom in using your preferred picture viewing software to have a closer look... i used Win 7 Photo Viewer and its clear that no pins are bent or connected.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:19 pm 

Yep, it has been confirmed that I received the CPU with bent pins.

<edit>
Here is what I have as to bent pins. Where they are located I am pretty sure that I could straighten but, since they are replacing, I'd rather not take the chance. Plus it would create a weak spot. Where I could not be sure if it was actually bent pins or a connection between pins is that it is 2 pins in exactly the same place in opposing spots diagonally. In other words it is symmetrical to the CPU. In the photo it looks obvious but even with a magnifying glass you can't really tell.
Attachment:
cpu3.jpg
cpu3.jpg [ 23.48 KiB | Viewed 11802 times ]

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:49 pm 

Apparently Newegg.com sent the stuff 2-day. I got it about an hour ago.

System is put back together and booting just fine. Well... not exactly back together as it is still spread out on a counter. Just have to mount the board in the case, attach drives and install drivers.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going to return the original memory or not. It should work once I flash the UEFI BIOS to the latest version. That would give me 32 GB of memory instead of the current 16 GB. What the heck... If the G-Skill (currently mounted) and Corsair sticks play nice together I'll probably keep.

Currently the 500 GB M.2 drive is not seen but I'm sure that is just due to drivers not being installed.

I DO like the way that ASRock sets up a board. I'm sure, if you have ever built a system of added a drive, that the SATA ports were probably all over the place. On this board there is a double bank of 5 SATA ports all together along the side of the board. They just seem to make things easy to get to. The SATA ports are the second listing from the bottom on the right. Yes, there are 10 ports. Seems extreme but I'll be using 5 off the bat.
Attachment:
X370%20Taichi.jpg
X370%20Taichi.jpg [ 125.63 KiB | Viewed 11801 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 am 

I was wrong about the 500 GB M.2 not being seen being a driver issue. I installed all the newest drivers and the drive was not there in File Manager. The solution was to go to Drive Management and set it up. Apparently it is a bare drive. It showed in Drive Management as unallocated without a drive letter. I just right clicked on it and set it up, no issue.

As expected Windows 10 lost its activation due to the hardware changes. I went through the process of fixing through Microsoft's live chat but could not finish. Most people would not run into this but my Win 10 install started as Win 7 and I did the upgrades. If someone had an actual retail key code for Win 7 it could have been done through the chat. This is not my case as my initial Win 7 code is through MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network). Since the code is via MSDN I have to re-activate via a phone call during business hours. I'll call tomorrow or when ever as I have 30 days but may just do a clean install. I used to do an OS clean once a year just to clean things out. My current install started over 4 years ago.

LOL! Getting ready to get brave and go into the UEFI BIOS... I've never personally dealt with UEFI. I should not be totally cold as my previous build used an EFI BIOS which is sort of a hybrid between the old style BIOS and UEFI.

The next steps will be to flash the UEFI BIOS to the latest version and clone my SSD OS drive to the M.2 drive. LOL! I'll let ya know how this goes... ;)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 am 

Cloning my boot drive is done and I'm totally amazed with this M.2 Drive. I used Acronis to clone the drive then pulled the plug on my old SSD boot drive. I didn't even need to change boot order in the BIOS, I just started the thing up and all was good. Total time for the clone was about 7 minutes. Ahhh, that includes boot time. I set Acronis to boot after the clone... or something like that. I very well just have been telling Acronis to not shut down. Bottom line is that I cloned then removed the old boot drive and it just worked. :)

I don't think that I will achieve a total boot time of under 10 seconds as the mother board still has to initialize. Still the difference is pretty amazing. I'm at the log in screen at a time of under 20 seconds.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 am 
Site Admin

:happy65:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 pm 

sboots wrote:
:happy65:

No doubt!

All done except for mounting the board in the case and hooking up the front panel USB and audio. Re-activation is taken care of without issue. BIOS flash is also done without issue and am seeing 32 GB of memory so I'll go ahead and keep the original sticks. The old SSD boot drive is also wiped and has become my 'working drive' for doing video conversions. That should save a LOT of time.

There is no doubt that the new build is a LOT faster. I can visually see the difference. :)

LOL! Now I have to get another case to put the old system back together. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:30 pm 

WOW!!!! This is freaky!

There is an old game called Zuma Deluxe from way back in the days of XP that happens to be one of my favorite 'time wasting' games. With all the compatibility settings to have it run in Windows 10 without crashing it takes right about 13 seconds to load on my laptop. My laptop is about equal in strength as my old main system build except for having a 5400 RPM hard drive. On the new build it takes ~3 seconds to be up and ready to play. This is with it loading from a spinning drive (7200 RPM), not my M.2 drive. This shows the speed of the CPU and memory as it is all about how fast it de-compresses the data files involved. I have it installed on my data drive along with quite a few other games as I didn't want to use up the space on my old 240 GB SSD system drive. Since the M.2 drive is 500 GB I was going to move these games over but it seems that there is no need to do so. :) I am totally in awe. ;)

On the down side... In a 1 bedroom apartment of small-medium size how the heck do you totally lose an install CD? The install CD for my Trip-Lite battery backup is nowhere to be found. Still not really a big deal as it is my normal practice to not install from such media. I tend to go to the manufacturer's site and download the latest.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:41 pm 
welcoming committee

Someone sounds happy... even in text based media I sense that! :nana1:

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:13 pm 

Yep, I'm happy. LOL! It is finally off of my counter, back in the case and closed up. I didn't bother connecting my front panel audio, just power and reset buttons along with power and HD lights. Main reason is that the case cable for front audio won't fit. ;) Actually it does not matter as I've never used the front audio anyway. When I do use my headset it connects via USB.

I end up with 6 USB3 ports on the back and 1 on the front along with 4 USB2 ports on the front. Also have 1 each of USB3.1 A&C ports on the back.

The only sort of gripe I have with the new board is that it has a CMOS reset button on the back panel. This is actually a nice thing as you can clear the CMOS without opening the case. I just wish that it was covered as, being open, it could be accidentally hit.

Initial temps are higher than the old build a bit but that is to be expected. Haven't tried any games yet but still doing a temp. test. I've been browsing the net and have my TV tuner going. I'm using CPUID to test. At another time I'll install a couple of other monitors to compare.
CPU peak temp.: 39C/102F.
Motherboard: 36C/96F.
Memory: 39C/102F.
Video: 54C/129F.
Hard drives vary but I don't see any issues.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:37 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
...I didn't bother connecting my front panel audio, just power and reset buttons along with power and HD lights...

Wot, still no BIOS speaker! :ufo1:

Fwiw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here ;)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 pm 

LOL! I enjoyed your Kilroy link. :)

Not sure as to your reference of a BIOS speaker relating to front panel audio... The front panel I mean is for a headset and mic.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I didn't bother connecting... just power and reset buttons along with power and HD lights.

I just assumed your BIOS speaker was cited along with those above... forgive me, I know not wot I talk about ;)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:28 pm 

While some motherboards used small actual paper speakers for the BIOS a lot more used those little barrel shaped piezoelectric speakers that mounted right on the motherboard. Neither my previous build not the current have such. There may be a header for a speaker but I'm not worried about it as there is a 2 digit LCD display that gives status until the system is fully past the post screen. The display is visible through the window in my case. If there is a post error the display will display the code.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 am 

One more build and done. ;) Since there is actually nothing wrong with my old build it makes sense to rebuild. All that is needed is a case, power supply and DVD burner, I have everything else.

Getting an Asus DVD burner for ~20.00. Can't argue with a 5 egg rating over 5730 reviews.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6827135204

Only paying ~$50.00 for the case but it also gets 5 eggs over 2798 reviews. It is made by Rosewill which I have never used but, again I'll go with the rating.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

Dropping in a 650 watt Corsair Power Supply for ~$70.00.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing