Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Re: Creator Fall update
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:44 pm 

So far fingers crossed we've had no problems here with our machines upgrading but I've usually waited till it's been offered in the monthly updates rather than going to get it when it's first out.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:06 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I'm not sure that I would consider Windows 10 any real hassle.

Doddie wrote:
I'd imagine there is a large number of novices who might disagree with you if/when they run into an issue ;)

Bingo, and that is the issue, Microsoft, Apple, whoever: make these things simple to use. Too many grandparents, folks not graduating with honors, etc., finding life too hard if finally being forced into using this stuff. I've said this before at the Haven, perhaps naively: make these things simple to use. Gosh, MS and Apple certainly have enough money to hire programmers ... or I am again being too naive (as GG always tells me)

Thank you all for letting me vent ... again,
Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:01 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Yes, you can search and find many more complaints than praises for any Windows version or any system for that matter. That is just the way it is. People don't post saying how they have no issues. People tend to only post when having an issue. By 'post' I don't mean just here. I mean overall.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by the request to make a system 'easy to use'. Unless you are a power user that wants to get 'under the hood' today's systems are extremely easy to use. In most cases you just turn the thing on and click on what you want to run. Shoot, I'm so much 'under the hood' that I have a cot set up next to the engine yet I almost never have any issues. More than issues I run into a case now and then that I just don't really understand. My lack of understanding does not mean that the system is not running.

Actually I'm rather curious... How many people here are using Windows 10 and have actually had an issue to the point that the system was not usable? Don't get me wrong! I do not consider Windows 10 anywhere near perfect. I just think that the claims of nothing but issues is very greatly exaggerated. Pete, I know that you had a driver issue, audio if I remember right, but I seriously doubt that you would have that issue today largely due to all the 'hated' updates. Even if there was a driver update issue just turn off the option to do drivers through Windows Updates.

Sorry if this seems like a rant as that is not my intent. I just don't understand the 'bad press' given to Windows 10. No one here that is a regular poster can be considered anything but a power user even if they don't consider themselves as such. In the 'real world' of the everyday user the biggest complaints that I hear is that the Start Menu is different and that Windows 10 isn't 'pretty'. I still work on systems now and then and will say that I don't recall a case where I've had to fix an issue involving Windows 10. In all cases that I recall it has been hardware issues, upgrade or doing a basic setup like getting rid of bloatware. I literally have worked on zero systems due to an actual Windows 10 issue.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 am 
Site Admin

jaylach wrote:
Yes, you can search and find many more complaints than praises for any Windows version or any system for that matter. That is just the way it is. People don't post saying how they have no issues. People tend to only post when having an issue. By 'post' I don't mean just here. I mean overall.

Bravo!

:D

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 am 
welcoming committee

I believe that the user should have the ability to not install certain updates. This last one does nothing for me. Updates should not screw with a system that's working fine. MS should be able to list the changes to your system on screen after the update.I think they should be able to figure that out. I have both a Win7 Desktop And a Win 10 lappy. I prefer 7 but I'm on the laptop 10 most of the time. Convenience

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 am 
welcoming committee

Two confessions: 1. I have never used Win10. 2. Yes, people are more apt to complain than praise.

But I still say, they have got to make these things easier to use for everyone, especially the elderly. It scares me to think of elderly newbies swimming around the Internet with the hacker shacks swimming all around them. I am so thankful that neither of my parents wanted a computer.

Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:25 pm 

I suppose a lot depends on the person. This elderly lady didn't start with a computer till 1998 because the children were using them at school so we wanted to be able to help them, hubby had used them at work, I'd never touched one before.

When it came to actually using a personal computer we all had to learn, I had to re-install the whole system 6 months after first getting one and I know there was something about the wrong CD's being sent with the system as well.

For some reason after that everyone kept coming to me when they needed a problem solving, don't know why. I learnt by clicking on everything on that first system and getting involved in the newsgroups then the forums.

You never stop learning when you use computers some learn quicker than others but as long as there's places like this to come too there will always be someone who knows a bit more than you and can help out.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

JoanA wrote:
You never stop learning when you use computers some learn quicker than others but as long as there's places like this to come too there will always be someone who knows a bit more than you and can help out.

:D :urock:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 pm 

I'm a little surprised to see 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' still present in the Control Panel. I thought it was being removed.

Acadia wrote:
But I still say, they have got to make these things easier to use for everyone, especially the elderly. It scares me to think of elderly newbies swimming around the Internet with the hacker shacks swimming all around them. I am so thankful that neither of my parents wanted a computer.

But Acadia, could that not be said about any technology? The new car that needs ten pages of instruction before maybe you can figure out how to set a station. All the 'smart devices' in use now from HDTVs to thermastats and lights. From what I've read these devices are being hacked at a higher rate than any computer out there.

Yet I don't hear complaints about someone's refrigerator being hacked as, in most cases, the owner won't even notice. Usually these 'slaved' devices are used to attack other systems. The following two articles are older but still relevant and it is getting worse. Unless you count computers as 'smart devices' I don't have a single such device in my apartment and don't intend to do so. At least my computers include security. These 'smart devices' do not. Why does a refrigerator need to be connected to the Internet anyway? :dunno:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-your-i ... be-hacked/

https://www.itsatechs.com/2016/10/14/ha ... b-attacks/

Sigh, again this sounds like a rant but is not. I just believe that one cannot just look at one device (computers) but must look at the entire scope of the technology.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 pm 
welcoming committee

Backup and restore is not being removed, but will no longer be improved upon. I use system image weekly.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 am 
welcoming committee

Heh, Jay, I don't use or like smart devices. They may be fun to play with but they are mostly over my head. Even our new TV, a 55-inch, ultra-HD, Samsung. When the technician was installing it he offered to connect it to our modem's wi-fi. I said no thanks. He said, "You don't want a TV as advanced as this hooked up to your wi-fi?" I said, no thanks, we're too old fashioned here. The only device that I can think of which are using its "smart" features is our ADT home security. It is connected to my iPhone so if we are away and someone breaks in, I would be notified.

Yes, at this point I believe MS is going to keep Image Backup on Win10. I had heard that they were actually thinking of removing it in a future update but I no longer believe that. Shame they are not going to support it anymore, yes it is slow and clunky, but very reliable.

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:59 am 

Sounds as if you'd like the doorbell that is being advertised over here at present Acadia. You ring the button and it sends a video to your smartphone showing who is at the door and you can answer as you want, in the advert one time even though the person is not at home she answers that she's busy inside so the person goes away. Another is a delivery man the person just tells him to leave the parcel on the doorstep, that way he thinks she's there and he tells her it will safe her a trip to the depot. You can also have a security device as well so if anyone is outside at night and starts to act dodgy a floodlight comes on and an alarm goes off. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:37 am 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Sounds as if you'd like the doorbell that is being advertised over here at present Acadia.

No, actually the only smart feature of ADT that I am using currently is alerting me if someone breaks in. I do have the option to upgrade to cameras where I could actually view everything happening from my iPhone, but I try to keep things simple (except for PC security and backing up my C:drive :wink: )

Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:38 pm 

Hey, has anyone heard anything as to if the anti ransomware is any good in this fall upgrade? Possibly through the Insiders?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:50 pm 

Can't help you there Jay, I got the upgrade today on this Asus Notebook so not had chance to properly find out all the new things, at present I'm trying to catch up with my forums as I've had the engineer round to service the boiler and there are jobs that need doing which were not done right when the system was first installed last year.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:01 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Hey, has anyone heard anything as to if the anti ransomware is any good in this fall upgrade? Possibly through the Insiders?

Jay, until I actually test it myself I trust nothing.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:07 pm 

Peter2150 wrote:
jaylach wrote:

Jay, until I actually test it myself I trust nothing.

I agree, that is why I asked if anyone knew anything as I'm a bit past my days of desiring to test such stuff. I just thought that I recalled a couple still being in the Insider Program and thought something may have been heard. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:19 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
... Hate it, still recommend it ...

Patty, I believe that you have stated twice at the Haven that you do not like Win10. I have found a second manufacturer who would build me a Win7 system if I really wanted it, but I am leaning heavily toward Win10, can't fight progress and I know it has superior security.

Just curious, what don't you like about it.
Thanks, Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Jay

The more I am reading about this secure folders feature, the more I am feeling it isn't secure. I think it's going to be hard to test. Apparently to test by itself you have to turn off WD which turns the secure folders off. That is stupidly lazy beyond belief. Not nearly as user friendly but it get the job done.

I am afraid I still can't trust my computer security to folks that know what they are doing.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:37 pm 
Fearless Leader

Acadia, it's hard to remember all the things I don't like about Windows 10. The most egregious is the way it grabs control of your machine when it is doing an update. You may come back to your computer after being away for a while to find it black and completely unresponsive. You think your machine is dead, but it's only doing an update.

Then there's being treated as if I were stupid. Microsoft has removed a lot of the fine control features so dear to the hearts of power users. I don't use Media Player, but I understand that the Fall Creator's Update removed that. I hate Groove and tend to still use my beloved Zune player. You can't even rip CDs with Groove. Settings is a poor replacement for Control Panel. You have to get 3rd party programs to make Windows look the way you want it to.

What it all adds up to is that computing isn't fun anymore. :( I spend less and less time on the computer these days, but that could be other factors. My computer doesn't feel like mine now.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 pm 

Just as a note the full Control Panel and Media Player are still present in the fall build. At least they are present in the Pro version.

As to the Control Panel just search and pin the result to your Start Menu. There are settings that cannot be done through the Control Panel such as enable/disable telemetry but all the old Control Options are present except for the Updates icon which can be restored to the Control Panel.

As to Media Player my task bar icon did go away with the new build but I just had to locate and pin it back. I agree that Groove is awful.

I never have an issue with Updates taking over my system as I have Updates set to notify only. Yes, it did take a free third party tweaker to do that and it won't work in the Home version. Not sure but I think the failure of the tweak in the Home version has to do with Group Policies.

I don't really have any issues with Windows 10 but agree that computers just don't seem to be as much fun anymore. I don't know if that is due to Windows 10 or that I'm just finding other interest such as my radio control vehicles. I don't think that I can really blame Windows as I seem to not have the interest in working on hardware either which has always been my forte. Shoot, when I did my new 'monster build' it should have taken a couple of hours yet it took me about two and a half days. It seems that the desire is just not there anymore which is why I've pretty much decided to not reopen my business.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:48 pm 

Just as an update here...

I am currently in the process of doing the fall upgrade on my laptop and did not have the System Reserved Partition issue. This makes three systems and the only one that had the issue was my main. Since my main has what would not be considered a normal drive setup I think that would help to indicate that the System Reserved Partition issue was caused by my drive setup rather than the upgrade itself. Of course I can't prove that but it seems indicated.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:52 am 

MacDuffie wrote:
What it all adds up to is that computing isn't fun anymore. :( I spend less and less time on the computer these days, but that could be other factors. My computer doesn't feel like mine now.

That's one of the reasons you don't see Mike Maltby around as much, he doesn't keep up with things as much, he told me quite a while ago when we were having one of our phone chats that for one thing he didn't like the way Microsoft had gone with the MVP program and he just didn't have the interest in keeping up, what with health and other things.

A lot of the old ones disappeared, dropping the newsgroups caused a lot of us to lose touch, such a pity. :(

Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:24 am 

JoanA wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

That's one of the reasons you don't see Mike Maltby around as much, he doesn't keep up with things as much, he told me quite a while ago when we were having one of our phone chats that for one thing he didn't like the way Microsoft had gone with the MVP program and he just didn't have the interest in keeping up, what with health and other things.

A lot of the old ones disappeared, dropping the newsgroups caused a lot of us to lose touch, such a pity. :(

I don't know Joan... With myself I don't think it really has anything to do with the direction Microsoft has taken with the MVP program or other things. Shoot, if Patty had not threatened me with bodily harm after nominating me for MVP status I very well may have declined as I never really considered myself qualified.

With me I think it is that a single person just cannot deal with the size of the OS anymore. My main forte is hardware but I used to do pretty extensive application programming. I programmed a LOT in Assembly which is as close to programming ones and zeros as you can get without actually programming ones and zeros. You just don't really program anymore. You just make system calls to routines that are already there. That is not programming. And it is not fun. :(

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing