Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Mystery "Static Box"
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi gang,

I'm not what category to put this so I chose this one.

Lately on random starts or restarts this little box appears in the upper left corner of my screen. There is only one word in it and that is "Static". Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know why this happen and how to stop it? I end up restarting the computer and it goes away. Thank you for your help.

Attachments:
partial screen snip_static.PNG
partial screen snip_static.PNG [ 335.88 KiB | Viewed 5710 times ]

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna
 Post subject: Re: Mystery "Static Box"
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If you 'grab' the lower left corner can you resize the box?

If you drag a website shortcut to the box does the site appear?

Do you have ATI Catalyst installed?

If all three are yes it is probably caused by the ATI tray icon. This is an old issue that was associated with Windows XP and I'd be surprised that it still happens.

A couple of other possibilities are Dell's Backup & Restore Manager and vprot.exe which is part of the AVG Safe Search Toolbar.

I trust that you have run security scans.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If you 'grab' the lower left corner can you resize the box?
No

If you drag a website shortcut to the box does the site appear?
Not sure what you mean. A browser window covers it. I took a snaphot using the "window" selection of the Windows Snipping Tool and the Static Box wasn't included. I had to make a rectangular snip.

Do you have ATI Catalyst installed?
Yes because I have a Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon R9 200 Series card

If all three are yes it is probably caused by the ATI tray icon. This is an old issue that was associated with Windows XP and I'd be surprised that it still happens.

A couple of other possibilities are Dell's Backup & Restore Manager and vprot.exe which is part of the AVG Safe Search Toolbar.
I don't have anything Dell on this home built machine.

I trust that you have run security scans.
Many many scans, some impromptu and others scheduled.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:35 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Googling "windows 10 white box on desktop" seems to confirm that this still happens for a variety of reasons and it appears to span all releases of Windows including XP,7,10. Most likely due to poor coding.

Looking at the search engine results it appears there isn't a 'one fits all' solution and that to resolve the issue you're going to have to do your own investigations :(

Personally, I'd start with restoring my pc to a time before this first appeared, System Restore or a Backup, the choice is yours... if that isn't an option or it doesn't work I'd think about rolling back or uninstalling any driver updates I'd installed, this would include any Windows Updates I'd installed but I'd save them as my second option.

If that still failed then I'd run msconfig:
From Start Menu > Run (is it still there in Win 10?), enter "msconfig" and select the Services tab (check Hide all Microsoft services) and disable each service one by one, rebooting after disabling each service, if disabling any service doesn't work then enter msconfig again and re-enable the service you previously disabled, reboot, try again with the next service.

When you've narrowed down the cause then at least you'll know what's causing the box to appear and you can make a decision what to do next... put up with it pending an update, rollback to an earlier version, contact the vendor, etc.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

I believe that I would start with msconfig and working through the startup/enabled services as you described, rather than diving into a System Restore/Rollback/Image restore....

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:20 pm 
welcoming committee

Likely horses for courses but my thinking was there are potentially a lot less options to go through updating software after a restore/backup than there would be if you start with the issue present.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Steve

sboots wrote:
I believe that I would start with msconfig and working through the startup/enabled services as you described, rather than diving into a System Restore/Rollback/Image restore....
As you and doddie have suggested using msconfig to do a process of elimination of programs I have to say that this would be impractical because this "static" box issue is a random occurrence. I don't have any idea how frequent this occurs. It could be something I have to live with. On the other hand this machine just updated to Win 10 V1709 yesterday. This may cure the problem.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Ritzter13 wrote:
Hi Steve

sboots wrote:
As you and doddie have suggested using msconfig to do a process of elimination of programs I have to say that this would be impractical because this "static" box issue is a random occurrence. I don't have any idea how frequent this occurs. It could be something I have to live with. On the other hand this machine just updated to Win 10 V1709 yesterday. This may cure the problem.

The upgrade to version 1709 could possibly solve the issue as system files would be over written. It is also not impossible that the system being ready for the upgrade caused the static box. The last is just a hunch on a possibility, nothing that I could prove or give evidence as to the possibility.

If the issue still happens you could still use msconfig to troubleshoot without killing all the processes. This would not be conclusive but you could go to the startup tab and disable the loading of background programs. Still you have the same issue as to the problem being intermittant. That makes it VERY hard to troubleshoot.

I DO trust that all device drivers are up to date. Specifically I would look at the graphics drivers first. Here is a link. Use the auto detect option.
https://support.amd.com/en-us/download
If it comes up with an update select custom install throughout and make sure to select clean install. The reason I suspect the possibilities of an update is that you said that you are using Catalyst instead of saying Crimson. While it is still really Catalyst Crimson seems to be the new name.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay I just mistakenly called it Catalyst because it's been that forever. I am using AMD Radeon Crimson Relive. I will keep an eye for the box. Hopefully V1709 fixes this.

Attachments:
File comment: In the system section it offers quite a bit of information at a glance.
Radeon_1.1.PNG
Radeon_1.1.PNG [ 169.61 KiB | Viewed 5648 times ]
Radeon_1.2.PNG
Radeon_1.2.PNG [ 177.66 KiB | Viewed 5648 times ]
Radeon_1.3.PNG
Radeon_1.3.PNG [ 192.36 KiB | Viewed 5648 times ]

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing