Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:27 pm 
welcoming committee

My local newspaper website has been driving me crazy lately with videos auto playing (i thought that practice was outlawed in the EU, if not outlawed, then at least frowned upon and long since dead within the EU? <rethorical>).

Long story short, the website now uses "Brightcove Player" to play custom content on many of its pages, afiact there is no way for the end user to stop the player playing automatically because any option to access the players options are seemingly blocked.

My local newspaper's website is one of the (many) reasons I'm considering dropping IE11 as my default browser, put simply the website slows to a crawl more often than not when i try to load it within IE11.
cf: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/

That said, because i now use Firefox to view those affected websites it's left me somewhat dismayed that videos are now auto playing there...

That was until tonight when i found the following, read post by "jscher2000":

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1150702

For me the HTML5 section (option 4) is working, at time of posting it has disabled ALL auto playing, time will tell if it causes any unexpected issues:

Quote:
To control the built-in HTML5 player:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter/Return. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box above the list, type or paste media*play and pause while the list is filtered

(3) To delay media from auto-starting in background tabs, I suggest: double-click the media.block-play-until-visible preference to switch the value from false to true

(4) To prevent media from auto-starting in any tabs: double-click the media.autoplay.enabled preference to switch the value from true to false

Posted in the Advanced Forum because results may vary but i sincerely hope it helps.

Last edited by Doddie on Sun May 20, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:36 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Thanks for the info Doddie. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing