Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: I am back
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:28 pm 
welcoming committee

It was a long time since I checked this nice place, which helped me a lot back in days. Now I feel somewhat obligated to return a favor. Fortunately, when I had to sign on, my old login name was available, so I am now under the same nick.
My specialty now is Dell Inspiron 570, which was taken off production within past year, however it saturated market of basic PCs a lot and in different countries.
It is widely known that cheap Dell PCs could not be overclocked, well, it is not true anymore. First it is applies to Dell Inspiron 570, which I purchased in basic configuration and by now changed processor from Athlon II x2 250 to Phenom II x4 965 BE, added video card, SSD and placed all this into HAF 912 case, however motherboard is still Dell genuine. And now I was able to overclock this from 3.4 GHz to 3.8 GHz easily, and I will be, most likely keep overclocking even higher.
I am suspecting that other basic Intel based Dell cheap PCs could be overclocked as well following the same directions, since it was done by software trick.
And I would like to share my story on Complete overhaul and upgrade of Inspiron 570 if it might interest anyone here.
If it is OK, I would like to find out in which part of this forum it would be most appropriate to do so. It would take some time, but the result is astonishing!

P.S. I was almost banned (was banned for 24 hours) from Dell support site for bringing this discussion openly there.

Post subject: Re: I am back
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:58 pm 
Fearless Leader

Hi Kisianik, Glad you found us again. However, this is not at all a topic for this forum. Computer Haven is all about helping novice users, and novices do not do overclocking - and frankly, I don't want anyone recommending to them that they should.

That said, you may post what you have to say on the subject in the Advanced Topics forum, where this topic most appropriately belongs. Actually, I think I will just move this to the Advanced forum, and you may followup post with whatever data you wish. Keep in mind though, that we are here to help people with their computers.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:17 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks for response and corrections.
I, probably has to rephrase my statement, I can help with any issues related to upgrading Inspiron 570, would it be hardware or software. I might be able to troubleshoot this PC better than the rest due to the constant tweaking.
After all, Dell PCs are still proprietary systems and require specific approach, I went through many troubles and just trying to help my fellow Inspiron 570 owners, this is it.

Edit. Regarding your statement MacDuffie about novice users. I am still considering myself as one, before Inspiron 570 I was afraid of even idea of overclock, but after a few steps I realized that this is very interesting at least, and here you go - I am ready to help others. And also, since a lot of people bought this PC, considerable amount might think about upgrading this PC on the budget, and my knowledge of the untold specifics could be very useful.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:29 am 
Fearless Leader

Very good. Thank you, Kisianik.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:44 am 
welcoming committee

I am not an advocate of overclocking, albeit, I have done some in the past. Jay Lacher once told me that overclocking is very hard on components, such as the cpu or ram, because you can overclock both. Keep in mind that overclocking also produces more heat than what these components are use to. Gamers overclock all the time, because they want to get more response from their respective games, but, they buy all sorts of gear to control heat, like extra fans and even water cooling etc etc. I guess what I am trying to say, is if you intend to overclock your machine be very careful how you do it and if you push the machine too hard, it will crash anyways. If you want to get better perfomance you can always buy more ram and maybe even another cpu such as a quad core. Of course this all depends on what your mother board can handle.

Cheers: Rich :shock: :o :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:50 pm 
Fearless Leader

Good points, Rich.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing