Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Java and current updates
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:27 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
OK, I KNOW that I'm the only one around here that likes Java but I still have to throw this out there...

In my opinion one of the most valid points against Java is that it leaves old versions installed that will still leave the system open to attack.

I am VERY happy to say that it would seem that they have gotten their heads out of their hind parts as to this concern. The last three Java updates that I have done have removed previous versions.

I would still agree that for most users there is no need for Java so get rid of it but for those that have actual applications that rely on Java this is wonderful news. :)

Oh, not mandatory but still a nice feature of an update for Java is the option to do a version check after the update. Click one link and there will be a check to make sure that the most current version is installed along with a check to make sure that there are no older versions still present.

Java is actually a pretty cool programming language that got sloppy. I truly hope that all the above is an indication that they are looking to get serious again.

Just curious... OK, we all know that I have been to only advocate for Java on this site. Most of us would rather do without Adobe but still have Flash installed. I haven't heard anyone saying to get rid of Flash.

If what I have seen through the last three Java updates holds where it checks and removes previous versions would anyone's opinion be changed?

I AM really curious as to if this info changes any opinions. From what I understand the biggest issue with Java was that an update left the older versions intact. This no longer seems to be the case.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:03 am 
Site Admin

I think that Java is a nice programming language that was sloppy from a security perspective from the beginning. And, simply because security wasn't on the radar back in the day.

I still recommend that Java be uninstalled if one is not using it. Adobe Flash is still quite pervasive on the web, so removing it would cause it to be missed. It would be better if it were not installed, too, but at the very least it should be kept up to date.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:22 am 

My opinion is still the same, but only in the fact that I don't have it installed because I don't need it. The only program I came across that needed it was the speed testing for my ISP, but as I can use other programs for that didn't see the need to have it installed.

OK some of the concerns that made me un-install it were to do with the security problems that surrounded it but I don't see the need to put it back on my machines unless I come across something I need to work with that requires Java to be installed.

Reading your post does go some way to making me feel a little less worried about the dangers but I still wont put it back unless I really do find I can't do what I want without it. ;)
Thanks Jay. :)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:08 am 
Fearless Leader

Die, Java, die... :twisted:

:harhar:

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am 
welcoming committee

Yep. that beast needs to go!

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
LOL! Java isn't going to die any time soon. ;) Actually the use of Java for computer applications is a rather small chunk of its usage. From what I understand the larger chunk is in appliances ranging from coffee makers to Blue Ray players. It also seems to get a lot of use in appliance remote control systems.

Of course, as everyone says, if you don't actually need it don't install it. Mayhaps not for exactly the same reasons but that really applies to any such package. Shoot, PHP and ASP are two strong languages that are also mainly used on the net, these forums are written in PHP. Should either be installed on your system? Absolutely not unless you run a server. Unless they are on a server they really have no purpose. Same thing with Java; unless actually needed why take up the space? BTW, PHP and ASP are also definite security risks but I let my hosting worry about that. ;)

For any that have not followed all the 'banter' between myself and others here about Java, listen to everyone else. :) Unless you run an application that needs Java get rid of it. If you DO run an application that needs Java and there is another that does not have the need get rid of Java and change applications. If I were not so lazy I'd probably get rid or it myself. I happen to run an on-line photo gallery and use a Java application to make it easier to deal with my on-line photos. I'd rather drag and drop through this application than have to do uploads through the site.

I WILL say that if I ever decided to get back into programming application software I'd go with either Visual Basic, C or Java in that order. If it were not for the bad press on Java it would probably be listed first. Hey!!!! How about I get back into programming applications and write a security system for Java??? :rofl2:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm 
Fearless Leader

Right... make it spread like a virus, and silently uninstall the beast. ;) Best security system there could be! LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing