Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:50 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I just finished the install as a dual boot with Win 8.1 on my media system.

Here is what I did:
1) I shrank my data partition by 120,000 MEG (117GB) and used that for the install.

2) I did a clean install to the unallocated space created by the partition reduction in 1) using a custom install to select and format that space.

3) I just let it do its thing and all went well. Install took about 30 minutes.

I will say that there could be some screen activity at the beginning of the install as I was tempted to re-boot as I thought it crashed. For better than 5 minutes I had nothing but the blue 4-pane windows logo and the animated dots in a circle, not hard drive or optical drive activity apparent via their busy lights.

One thing that I liked is that it offered to get system settings from another install which would mean my Win 8.1 side of the dual boot. Since I just got done doing a complete image backup I said to go for it. I haven't delved too far into things yet but my favorites were already here... or at least in part. It imported some but not all favorites. Also my log in info for here was retained.

The MS warnings state that you will not be able to play DVD video but, as is the case with Win 8, the install of a third party player solves this. I installed the VLC player and will install Windows Essentials Codec Pack including Media Player Classic later.

At the moment I have no audio but hope that will be resolved when I use the install disk for my video card although I may try Win Updates first.

Anyway, enough for now, time to play. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:56 pm 

Had the same issue as with Win 8.1 with one of my favorite 'little games' called Zuma Deluxe. Just too choppy and, overall, just not playable. As with running in 8.1 changing the compatability mode to have it run in 16bit color mode instead of the default 32bit color made the game totally playable.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:42 pm 

Audio was restored by installing video card drivers. Yep, video card as I use HDMI. ;)

All seems pretty smooth. Sorry Manny, no Aero... but the Start menu IS back.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:41 am 
welcoming committee

I saw the little video preview of it. I hope they can impress me with something nifty.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:33 am 

I've not got round to installing anything yet, I've still to work out my email accounts, only got Hotmail working on it so far. I've not had the time to play as much as I want to yet so it's taking longer to sort it out.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:03 am 

Had my first Win 10 crash and also found an issue.

The crash was just a system failure and I didn't bother writing down the text. It was just a pre beta crash which is to be expected, system error. I just let the auto reporting gather the info and send.

The 'issue' involved Office Word version 2007. For this one I used the included reporting app to give personal experience. This is sort of odd. I can open Word 2007 from either a task bar icon or directly through file manager and everything is fine. However, if I open Word a second time it will fail. The main window comes up but there is no access to any functions nor can I type anything. If I re-start the system ether using "restart" or a "cold boot" Word 2007 is fine again but only for one run. Close and open and again it fails.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:42 am 
Fearless Leader

I would check Task Manager and see if perhaps it never closed properly after the first run.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:17 am 

I already looked and didn't see anything that stood out as being part of Word. Remember that I run Office 2007 so it is more likely to have issues than more recent versions.

Oddly this issue does not present itself with Excel 2007 which I use as a launch menu for my movies.

Yet I can pin Word to the task bar but not my Excel movie sheet... Go figure...

Hey, it's not even really beta yet but seems pretty solid. The weird issue with Word is the only issue that I have that is in any way a pain.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:20 am 
Fearless Leader

Any printer issues? I ask because older versions of Word were sometimes foiled by improper, or lack of, printer drivers. That's a real shot in the dark, I haven't encountered it for many years.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:20 am 

I'll have to keep a look out when I install my office as it's the 2007 version, well it's the only one I have with a spare license.
I have a 2010 version but all 3 copies are installed on other machines but my 2007 is only installed on this Windows 8 Asus so I have another couple of licenses I can use to install it on another OS.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:56 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Any printer issues? I ask because older versions of Word were sometimes foiled by improper, or lack of, printer drivers. That's a real shot in the dark, I haven't encountered it for many years.

Nope, no apparent printer issues at all printing via Word, Word Pad or photo printing.

I attribute the issue to a pre-beta OS. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:44 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes, I'm sure you're right.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:29 am 

Then there is that rare piece of software that just works. On a whim I just installed Baldur's Gate II. It works flawlessly. For those that don't remember this game was written back in the days of Windows 98 -- possibly 2000.

Just for grins does anyone remember this game? By today's standards the graphics are not good of course but they still work. It is an old RPG game based on AD&D. It may be old but is one of the very best RPG games ever written.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Just a note: GG and I had breakfast this morning with Bill Gustafson (remember him?) and his wife Sue. Bill loves Windows 10 and this is a GOOD sign because I trust his wisdom. :happy62: It seems that with every other version Windows nails it! :338:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:03 am 

Is he OK Acadia ? It seems such a long time since we saw him. So far I like 10 as well, I'm posting this from it now, although I'm not so fond of Mail that is included much prefer Windows Live Mail so will probably try installing a version of that.
Oh I'm running 10 in VMware don't have it running as the only OS on here yet.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:55 am 
welcoming committee

Bill came for a visit - in the Atlanta area - several months ago. He was well then and we enjoyed an afternoon together. He's gotten busy doing other things unfortunately because I do miss his presence here. As for the rest I believe a "no comment" will serve me well. :twisted:

Post Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:57 am 
welcoming committee

JoanA wrote:
Is he OK Acadia ? It seems such a long time since we saw him.

Oh, yeah, he appears to be doing just fine. The biggest news in his and Sue's life right now is that they are almost done doing some semi-major renovations to their home, just outside of Albany. It is a really neat old home, Karen and I were there last year, and knowing Bill and Sue's love for older things I'm sure the renovations were done tactfully, I'm looking forward to seeing what they did.
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:04 am 

Thanks for the update Acadia, glad to hear he's OK. Thanks for your reply as well Manny.;-)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:48 am 

Something is bothering me a bit since I installed Win 10. In the past I have always refused the option to use my MS login for my local systems but I got curious and did so this time. To see what would happen I also went with my MS login for the Win 8.1 side of this dual boot.

In my humble opinion this setup is WAY too invasive. I can no longer have unique desktop images for each OS. If I change a theme on one OS it automatically becomes the theme on the other OS. In my opinion this is not right. Yes, I am logging in on both sides with my MS log on but that does not mean that each should affect the other.

I MAY be off base but the only way that I can see this happening is if MS is taking system settings when using their log on then expanding those settings to any machine using the same log on.

In my opinion this is just plain wrong. I can see zero legit reason as to why MS should be able to affect my visual desktop unless I specifically give permission to do so which I have never done.

Please keep in mind that one side of this dual boot is a pre-beta version of Win 10. On the other hand I tried a test on my laptop. First I did an image backup then set the Win 8.1 side of that machine's dual boot to the MS log-on. I found the same situation... without giving ANY permission to share the common log-on caused any and all of these desktop themes to change for all if changed on one.

BTW, these machines are not locally networked so it HAS to be an MS deal. I totally killed the local network when I started looking at this issue.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:29 am 
Site Admin

Jay:
You have the option to sync your settings in Windows 8 and Windows 10 or not. It is configurable - all, some, none. This is for Windows 8.x:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ttings-pcs
I believe that the Windows 10 configuration is similar.
-steve

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 am 
welcoming committee

Welcome to the world of sync!

I imagine this behavior is what most people want and therefore it's not surprising to see it happening as the default action. As Steve said it's configurable but it may not be robust enough for you. And anyway you probably gave your permission for all this to happen when you signed up and didn't bother reading their conditions. Overall, this is a pretty nice goal to try to achieve - to log on to the same environment no matter what machine you are using and wherever you go. Don't you think?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I actually like that experience with my Windows 8 machines. I specifically excluded my Win 10 preview machine from synchronizing desktop settings to the other PCs, so it doesn't. :-)

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:32 pm 

Have you installed the new build, I did it today and it's running very smoothly.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:21 pm 

Hey, I'm old and senile. I like a different desktop theme so I know where I am. :rofl2:

Actually I'm going to have to look and see how to turn off the sync as I really do want different desktop themes. I can see where some would want everything the same but, to be honest, I prefer a different theme for each OS on my dual boots so I know where I am. See, like I said in the first line, I AM old and senile. ;)

@ Joan, I'm not sure if I'm on the latest build or not. I've been in Win 8.1 for a couple of days. After I get done here I'll probably re-boot and see. I don't turn off this system (my media system) and my understanding was that is what MS wanted as new builds would automatically install via Win Updates hence the inability to turn off auto updates. What is your current build? I just re-booted and I'm on build 9841. Actually it looks like I'm way behind, going to have to force an update.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:26 pm 
Fearless Leader

I'm not doing Windows 10, but I'm with you, Jay. I like different desktops and themes on my different computers. Not so I know where I am, :), but because I have more than one favorite theme!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing