Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:52 pm 
welcoming committee

Subject may sound like a bit of hype, but in another post when I mentioned Macrium V6 raised the bar well above all other imaging programs I wasn't kidding, but the latest build, blows the bar out into space.

To put into perspective, my c: drive is 1tb, and now contains 130gb. I image to a 2nd internal drive
When I take a new full image, I always restore to test it.

Some numbers for comparison.

Aomei Backerupper

Full Image. Backup time 14.5 minutes. Restore time 25 minutes
Diff/Incr Backup time 14+ minute Restore time 25 minutes.

Shadow Protect

Times are about the same as Aomei

Macrium v5

Full Image 14 minutes Restore time 17 Minutes
Diff/Incr 2-3 minutes Restore time 17 minutes

Significant difference in incremental/diff imaging time

Macrium v6 initial builds

Full Image 14 Minutes Restore time 5-6 minutes
Incre/Diff .75-1.5 minutes Restore time 5-6 minutes.

Shorter restore time are using their new (R)apid (D)elta (R)estore
Images may also be full restores

Macrium v6 latest build

Full image 14 minutes Increm/diff image times again .75-15 minutes.

But the improved the RDR restore time which is now.........30 Seconds. Yep you read right

These are all restores right after the image was taken

To further test, I had a 3 incremental chain. I took another image and then deleted a major program, the 2nded largest on my system, of over 650mb.

I then restored putting the program back on. The restore time increased to a whopping 48 seconds.

Amazing.

Pete

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:36 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Peter2150 wrote:
Macrium v6 latest build

Full image 14 minutes Increm/diff image times again .75-15 minutes.

But the improved the RDR restore time which is now.........30 Seconds. Yep you read right

These are all restores right after the image was taken

To further test, I had a 3 incremental chain. I took another image and then deleted a major program, the 2nded largest on my system, of over 650mb.

I then restored putting the program back on. The restore time increased to a whopping 48 seconds.

Amazing.

Pete
One thing that the above makes me wonder is if it is doing a true restore...

It would seem to me that if a full restore the time for the restore should be the same whether or not you removed the 650MB program.

With the times stated it sounds more like it is looking for differences between the drive and the image and only restoring the differences. Actually I would think that this must be the case as even an SSD could not write your 130GB C: drive in those times. It would be interesting to know the restore time to an empty drive.

The above is in no way any put down, I'm just curious as to what they are actually doing. It actually sounds very interesting in a case where I accidently deleted data or program... actually just make that a program as the Previous Version feature in Windows would cover the lost data aspect instantly by human standards.

Still quite intriguing and I may take a look even though, if I'm guessing right that they are just restoring differences to the drive, I would not do a restore to solve an infection without formatting the drive first. But then, if infected, I doubt that I'd restore for an infection without a low level format regardless of the imaging software.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:03 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Jay

No doubt it is not a full restore. The technology is called RDR Rapid Delta Restore. They do compare the image with the file system bitmap. We suspect(not sure) that in this latest version there might be an index in the image as the scan looking for difference is just so quick.

Also if there is way to much change then MR v6 just reverts to the full restore. And yes if I was removing something I thought was an infection I would do a full restore, and use the delete volume/partition feature of the imaging program.

As for major injections I just don't permit them. :) If I think I am doing something that high risk, I use Shadowdefender and shadow all my drives. This does protect the drive(s) very effectively. Also I've tested all my security software against latest crypto software, and they all effectively block them.

Pete

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:23 pm 
welcoming committee

Hey Jay

A good example. This morning I wanted to add a new utility for something. I took an incremental first and proceeded. As the day wore on I found a conflict with my movie player... it wouldn't run. So I restored the early image...took 33 seconds... and, the utility was gone, and so was the conflict. Perfect.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:35 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sounds good Pete. I'm sure that I will check it out but right now I'm involved in a fairly involved project with a site.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 am 
welcoming committee

Ran a test because I wanted to see something with Office 2013. I uninstalled Office Professional 2010 (900mb) and installed Office Professional 2013(almost 1gb). Checked out what I wanted to see, and then restored back to the Office 2010 incremental. Time to restore. A whopping 1:48.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing