Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: Flight simulators
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:31 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Really only one as in Apache Air Assault. While there are other reasons this simulator is one of the reasons that I just put a 4GB RAM $200.00 USD video card in my system.

I wish I still had the original Microsoft Flight Simulator where you could fly around in a Cessna and other light planes. The only MS Flight Simulator I now have is Combat Flight Simulator3. I just can't seem to get in to the thing.

Now Apache Air Assault is another matter! This is a 'copter simulation that Boeing actually helped to produce. With my new video card the graphics are outrageous. If I hover a little above ground level there are actual dust and exhaust vortexes visible.

Simulators such as this are intense! While I would LOVE to have an actual flight yoke (realistic cockpit controls) I am not about to drop $1500.00 into a controller! :mrgreen: I use a Logitech game pad with dual analog/digital sticks along with a d-pad. It also has probably about a dozen buttons. Works quite well at the level I use the software. :)

I don't so much get into the battles as I end them as quickly as possible, usually in training or beginner mode. What I like is to just fly the thing. Well, OK, I WILL blow up the occasional (read as all the time) building that looks suspicious. Trying to remember the last building that did NOT look suspicious and don't deem to be able to recollect... :mrgreen:

A nice feature about this simulator is the fact that it is not just restricted to the Apache military 'copter. It will also simulate, I think, three other 'copters along with a few drones.

Post subject: Re: Flight simulators
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Yeah the old simulator had a Boeing 747 in it. The complexity was beyond belief.

My only current game is train simulator. It is also amazingly realistic.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:19 pm 
Fearless Leader

I have a copy of Flight Simulator Deluxe Edition. 2006 Edition. Never been opened. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:35 pm 
welcoming committee

Is that an XP vintage. I have it and it wouldn't run under 7

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:42 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yes. XP, SP2. Doesn't Win 7 have XP Mode?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:24 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Yes. XP, SP2. Doesn't Win 7 have XP Mode?

Yes, I run 3 old programs in XP mode on my old Win 7 computer. On my new Win 10 computer I run XP using Oracle's VM VirtualBox. Jay help me set up both.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:44 pm 
Fearless Leader

Cool. :) Thanks. Waiting to see what Jay has to say on this, since he's the one who expressed interest in the program.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:20 pm 

I'm tempted to offer to buy it from you Patty but I don't know that it would make sense to install a virtual machine just for a simulator. LOL! Not saying that I would not do it, just that it would not make a lot of sense. :mrgreen: Let me know a price...

Patty, your copy would be FSX or Flight Simulator 10 which came out in 2006. Except for the Steam edition of FSX yours is the most recent. In 2014 Dovetail Games (developer of Train Simulator) signed a licensing agreement with MS allowing them to continue the development. Their Steam version allows you to fly with others. Apparently the Steam edition will run fine on Windows 8.1 and 10, probably also Win 7. It is the original 2006 release that has issues. The demo version of the 2006 release with 3 aircraft, 2 airports and 2 missions does work fine on Windows 7 and later but was re-compiled using Visual studio 2013.

Do you realize that the MS Flight Simulator has been around since 1982 and was around 5 years earlier before MS got hold of it.
Quoted from Wikipedia wrote:
Bruce Artwick began the development of the Flight Simulator in 1977. His company, subLOGIC, initially distributed it for various personal computers. In 1981, Artwick was approached by Microsoft's Alan M. Boyd who was interested in creating a "definitive game" that would graphically demonstrate the difference between older 8-bit computers, such as the Apple II, and the new 16-bit computers, such as the IBM PC, still in development. In 1982, Artwick's company licensed a version of Flight Simulator for the IBM PC to Microsoft, which marketed it as Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.00.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:48 pm 
Fearless Leader

Are you sure mine is the original 2006 release? It says Deluxe Edition and lists various extra features. (More planes, better scenery, etc.)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:07 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
Are you sure mine is the original 2006 release? It says Deluxe Edition and lists various extra features. (More planes, better scenery, etc.)

Since you stated that it was a 2006 edition I would assume that it also has issues with Win 7 and later as, from what I've read, it seems that only the demo version was re-compiled.

I'm still interested but won't pay much as I can get the Steam edition for ~$25.00 including 7 aircraft, scenery and destination packs. The main reason that I'd be interested in yours is the packaging. If I were to go with the Steam edition it would all be digital downloads.

Another reason that I'd be interested in yours is that I would sort of prefer a stand alone version as I'm not a big fan of Steam as it tends to be buggy. I just have no real choice as to Steam due to a couple of RPGs I have from the Elder Scrolls series.

Actually there is some chatter on-line that just deleting the 'OLEACC.DLL' file within the install folder corrects the issue with Win 7 and later. Of course I'd try by re-naming rather than deleting. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

I could try installing it here on Windows 10 and see what happens. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:39 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
I could try installing it here on Windows 10 and see what happens. :)

Yes you could but that would lower the price I'd be willing to pay. I would want an unopened package. I would probably still buy a digital copy and have been considering doing so. If I got yours it would likely remain unopened.

Since we are friends I DO have to say that you should probably keep the thing and let it remain unopened. You have to remember that it seems that you have a sealed copy of what is apparently the very last version of FSX that was still under Microsoft control.

Will it ever actually be worth something? Of course I have no idea but can pretty much guarantee that, if it ever is, it will be worth more still sealed.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:31 am 
welcoming committee

Jay
Your last posts remind me of the Spock action figure episode on Big Bang Theory.
:happy62:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:36 am 

Keeping things still sealed always makes things worth more. You only have to look at auctions when they are selling toys, especially cars like Dinky or Corgi. They are always worth a lot more if they have the original box, even if they've been opened and played with it's that original box that makes the difference.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:06 pm 
Fearless Leader

jaylach wrote:
Yes you could but that would lower the price I'd be willing to pay. I would want an unopened package. I would probably still buy a digital copy and have been considering doing so. If I got yours it would likely remain unopened.

Since we are friends I DO have to say that you should probably keep the thing and let it remain unopened. You have to remember that it seems that you have a sealed copy of what is apparently the very last version of FSX that was still under Microsoft control.

Will it ever actually be worth something? Of course I have no idea but can pretty much guarantee that, if it ever is, it will be worth more still sealed.

They are going for around $25 on eBay.

Two points. You can keep something so long that no one wants it anymore. Much of my husbands phenomenal classical music collection falls in this category. Very sad. There aren't many who appreciate the value of what he has. I suspect that by the time he dies, the collection will be landfill. :(

I wasn't planning on charging you necessarily. Thought we'd work something out.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:36 pm 

chasbox wrote:
Jay
Your last posts remind me of the Spock action figure episode on Big Bang Theory.
:happy62:

LOL! Going back through it did read rather strange. When it first came up I was thinking why not? As I thought about it I wondered if I'd actually want to open the thing. Further thought made me think it proper to tell Patty that she may want to keep. It was a progression of thoughts. :mrgreen:

MacDuffie wrote:
They are going for around $25 on eBay.

Two points. You can keep something so long that no one wants it anymore. Much of my husbands phenomenal classical music collection falls in this category. Very sad. There aren't many who appreciate the value of what he has. I suspect that by the time he dies, the collection will be landfill. :(

I wasn't planning on charging you necessarily. Thought we'd work something out.

Your point is valid. I just felt that I needed to point out that you possibly had a collector's item.

Send me an email or PM on what you had in mind.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing