Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Would you like to make your own custom mouse pointers?
I would LOVE to do this! 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Depends on what is involved but I'd be interested. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Doubt that I'd do it but would like to see how. 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
Not at all interested. 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This is really a simple process but can become involved and addictive. Doing this DOES demand a steady hand and patience at times depending on what image is involved.

I would be happy to put together a tutorial including links to required free software but would want to know that this is something that would be wanted before putting out the effort.

LOL! Of course, since I posted this I voted to do it.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:49 pm 
welcoming committee

I thought I'd posted this the other day but I guess not... I voted not at all interested but that doesn't mean I don't want to see such posted, it simply means that for me the default Windows cursor does all I could ever want so why fix it with it bells and whistles.

Like I said, messing with the mouse cursor isn't something that I'd be interested in but I'm open to the idea that I might learn how to 'manipulate' something else along the way... but the poll didn't ask that ;)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:30 am 

I would agree with you Doddie as to the default mouse pointers being just fine except that they are not in my specific situation. My main pointer would be considered to be rather large by a lot of people but, at times, I still have trouble finding the danged thing. I guess that is one of the downfalls of using a 42" HDTV as a monitor, the pointer just gets lost and even when moving the thing it can be hard to locate. There are time when I have to hit a control key to locate the thing. As a note if not known Under the control panel applet for your mouse you can set to where hitting the 'Ctrl' key will throw an animated circle around the pointer to locate.

As of now I'll think about doing the tutorial but I had hoped for more comments instead of just poll votes. It would seem that there isn't really much interet in this which I can understand. While BB and Patty are enjoying the raccoon tail pointer I did it is just for kicks; not something that is actually needed.

I guess that I'd need to see more actual interest before I started downloading and testing freebees as to software as I doubt that anyone would want to pay for the software package that I used to make the initial image (raccoon tail) have a transparent background. Having everything except the desired object transparent is essential as a first step.

Let me know folks... Add a coment as to why you voted as you did...

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:21 pm 

I couldn't even remember what I voted, but I'd not be interested, I'm quite happy with the pointers that are native to Windows. :-)

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:39 pm 
Fearless Leader

Jay, I simply haven't the time to devote to doing these myself. If there were a folder full of fun cursors, I would surely download it and probably change cursors the way I change wallpapers. I love the idea.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I don't have the knowledge nor the software to readily create new cursors (i.e., mouse pointers). I achieved my raccoon tail cursor only with your help. If you now provided a tutorial, I would definitely create new cursors and swap them out occasionally.....would be a fun thing to do.

You have so much computer knowledge that I consider any tutorial you provide to be a benefit to Computer Haven.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:05 am 

OK, I guess I'll do this. Shoot many probably already have the main program to convert a GIF image with transparency to a mouse pointer. It is called IrfanView and can be gotten through the following link. Irfranview will not save a file as a pointer but will as an icon. Except for the file extension there is no difference between an icon and a pointer. We will just change the file extension from .ICO to .CUR.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/irfanview.html
The default download would be CNet but I just don't trust them any longer while I do still trust Major Geeks.

Irfranview is really the only software that will be required but you WILL need another package if you want to make animated pointers. If this is the case I STRONGLY recommend GIF Construction Set Pro. I've been using this package to manipulate GIF images for at least 10 years. All the animated GIF images that I personally built on my GIF Gallery were all done with this package. There is a free and paid version. If you are going to just follow along to see how it is done I suggest the free (evaluation) version. However, if you are actually going to spend time creating pointers I suggest that you pay the $24.99 and buy the thing as the free version has a REALLY annoying nag screen when closed.
http://www.mindworkshop.com/gifcon.html

I won't go into any other details here. I just wanted to post software links so that anyone that was interested in actually doing this would have a chance to download the software and play a bit.

@ Patty: Where should I post the tutorial? I figure in either 'General Computing' or 'How do I...'. BTW, as to time needed to do a pointer the Blue Angel jet I did and showed in another thread took ~5 minutes. ;)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:09 pm 
Fearless Leader

I would keep it in the Fun Things forum, Jay. That's probably where this thread belongs also.

Irfanview. Now there's a name I haven't seen in awhile! Great program. I'd forgotten about that one.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:24 pm 

You and me both Patty, I used to have it on all my computers but since Windows 7 I forgot about it. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:04 pm 

Another excellent package is XnView.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:12 pm 

Such as it is the tutorial is done.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1470

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing