Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
This is going to look like a very drawn out and complicated process but it is not. It is only the explanation that is long and drawn out. It is really a pretty simple procedure.

Even if you have already upgraded to Windows 10 it is my opinion that you should also have a physical install DVD for the OS. Here I will explain how to acquire such a DVD.

If you have not yet upgraded to Windows 10 it is also my opinion that you should create a DVD to do the upgrade as I consider it the 'safer' way to go.

Creating an install DVD for Windows 10...

1) Go to the following site.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ol-install

2) Click on the option to 'Show all'.

3) Click on the option for 'Software download page.'. This will take you to the instructions for using the Media Creation Tool. For some unknown reason going directly to this page does not work on some systems.

Near the bottom of the page you will have the option to download either the 32 bit or 64 bit version of the tool. You MUST download the correct version. If you do not know if your system is 32 bit or 64 bit go to your Control Panel then System. You will find the needed info.

4) Download and run the proper creation tool. You will need to be logged in as an administrator to properly run this tool.

Once you run the tool it will check out your system and then display the following dialog if all is OK.
Attachment:
win10-upgrade-tool-1.jpg
win10-upgrade-tool-1.jpg [ 31.48 KiB | Viewed 9798 times ]

You will have two options. The first is to "Upgrade this PC now". While this method seems to work it is not what we want. We want to create a DVD. Select to "Create installation media for another PC". Select this option even if the PC you have or want to upgrade is the same as you are now on.

You will need to enter some info on the next dialog such as the desired language, version of Windows 10 and whether 32 bit or 64 bit.
Attachment:
win10-upgrade-tool2..jpg
win10-upgrade-tool2..jpg [ 45.66 KiB | Viewed 9798 times ]

Enter the info and click 'Next'.

5) You will now have the option to create install media on either a USB Flash Drive or an ISO file. Select an ISO file, it is how you will end up with a DVD. Make sure to save the ISO file to a location that you can later find, your desktop is fine for this purpose. The download will take a while depending on your internet speed.

6) OK, you have now have the following dialog.
Attachment:
win10-upgrade-tool3..jpg
win10-upgrade-tool3..jpg [ 32.55 KiB | Viewed 9798 times ]

Clicking on the first option which is the download location will be handy if you have ISO burning software installed in either Win 8,1 or an already installed Win 10 upgrade that will allow the creation of a disk from an ISO file when you right click on the ISO file in question. If you do not have such software installed I suggest that you use Microburner 4 which you can get at http://jaylach.com/downloads . You would open this burning software and select 'ISO creator/burner under the 'Show' tab.

If you are in Windows 7 just select to 'Open DVD Burner'. If this is the case make sure to check the box to 'verify disk after burning' and click to Burn.

You now have a full blown DVD of the Windows 10 install media.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:08 am 
Fearless Leader

Thanks, Jay.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:53 am 

Thanks Jay, I agree the explanation takes longer than it does to do. I made my DVD last night. At first I thought that as this machine was originally an 8.1 machine and I'd upgraded it to 10 I might have problems burning a DVD so thought I'd do it on my 7 machine.

Wrong, I went to the download page and clicked on the download button for the 64bit version, the Asus is 64bit, after the download I clicked to run the tool but was told I couldn't. The 7 machine is a 32bit machine so it wouldn't let me run the tool to create the DVD.

I'd not considered that as all I was doing was downloading an ISO to burn to DVD. It turned out that I had no problems doing it from my 10 machine anyway so all's well and I have the DVD if I decide to do a clean install.;-)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 pm 

You are welcome Patty. :) I went back through the post and cleaned up a few things.

Joan, you could have still done it on the Windows 7 system by selecting to install the 32-bit Creation Tool. Remember that my instructions are for downloading for another machine as that is the only way you are going to get the Creation Tool to give you an ISO file. Whether the system running the Creation tool is 32 or 64 bit is only important as to running the Creation Tool. You could have run the 32-bit Creation Tool on your 32-bit Windows 7 system and still been able to download a 64-bit ISO.

I DO have an experiment still to do. I am REALLY curious about what happens if you try a clean install with the resulting media. So far, from what I've read, it seems likely that you MAY have to do a clean install first of the previous OS and then use the created media to upgrade. Then you would do an OS reset with saving nothing which, in effect, does the clean install. Right now this is a bit of a grey area.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:23 pm 
welcoming committee

I cheated and used a USB stick, had it do both 32 and 64 bit.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 pm 

Nothing wrong with using a thumb drive. It is just personal preference with me to have a DVD. That thumb drive is still an electronic device and WILL eventually fail. Of course a DVD can also fail but I believe them to be more durable. I have two DVDs and a copy of the ISO file as working and backup copies.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:26 pm 
Fearless Leader

I got an ISO file, downloading it on the same computer, for the same computer.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:18 am 

Thanks Jay, as I said it's all sorted now and I got the DVD burned on the Asus machine.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:04 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
I got an ISO file, downloading it on the same computer, for the same computer.

I'm quite certain that there are probably options available that I didn't see. I just went back through and repeated what I did the first time. ;)

I know that you achieved getting your DVD Joan. I just wanted to address what you dealt with on the 7 machine for others. :)

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?