Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:47 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sorry but this is all to much for the novice user. Unless Patty posts otherwise I WILL have to move this to advanced.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Okay Jay. Just how should a novice replacing the computer go about it.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:57 pm 
Fearless Leader

One step at a time, for one thing, Peter, and in simply described steps. Jay is quite willing to write a series of smaller posts as needed - right, Jay? ;)

What's not needed, is a long, complex thread with a lot of experts debating the best way to go about it, in language he doesn't understand.

If and when he is up to the intricacies that have developed on this lengthy thread, he's welcome to go over to the Advanced forum and dig in.

The primary purpose for creating these forums was to teach the novice user in a friendly atmosphere (which we've done quite well at here), free from overwhelming technical nomenclature that blocks his ability to learn at all. There are plenty of technical forums that are neither friendly nor at a novice level. This was intended to be an oasis of sanity amidst all that noise. Hence our name, and logo and slogan.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:22 am 

Peter2150 wrote:

To be perfectly honest they should probably get a professional to do it for them.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:17 am 
Fearless Leader

Yes... we had to recommend that to someone recently, in fact. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:30 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Peter2150 wrote:

To be perfectly honest they should probably get a professional to do it for them.

Jay, to be perfectly honest, I find this posting to be very disappointing and very uncharacteristic of you. I have used professionals before to do software installation, repair, and conversion. Many of them, by far, do not measure up to the knowledge and talent possessed by many members of Computer Haven.

Computer Haven is advertised as a place for people to learn, and believe me, I have learned a lot from your forums. But now I hear you saying that if I'm really a novice and perhaps too stupid to learn a given subject, then I should seek professional help.

If that is going to be your position going forward, then I suggest you add a new forum rule stating that CH is not intended for novices.

BTW, in a posting above you volunteered, if requested, to outline the steps you follow in setting up a new computer without using Easy Transfer. I made the request, and I thanked you for doing so. Well, I now retract my request, as the experts on Computer Haven certainly don't need such instruction, and novices like me probably would not understand it. So no need to waste your time.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:57 pm 

First; I would not consider you to be a novice.

Second; Even though a true novice would be well advised to have a pro do the job does not mean that I would not help in any way possible one that wants to take on the challenge.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:15 pm 
Fearless Leader

BB, please hold on a sec before to coming to conclusions.

The thread is neither gone nor terminated. It has simply been moved, correct Jay? (Did you leave a pointer to it?)

Secondly, if there is any implication regarding yourself at all, it would be that you are an advanced user rather than a novice. I consider you a power user, without a doubt. I don't think Jay was referring to you at all, in fact.

Lastly, I am the one who has been pushing to keep these long, technical threads in the Advanced section. I have to ask - what is so horrible about the Advanced forums? I don't understand why there would be any objection to a thread being moved there, to be honest. Try reading through that thread from the viewpoint of someone who knows very little about computers who sees the title of the thread and begins to read it. Specifically keep an eye out for technical terms used that are not defined - or even if defined, the amount of material covered. It would be overwhelming to that user.

The Advanced Forums simply provide a place for those who know a great deal about computers can discuss subjects without technical restrictions or the need to worry about what terminology they use.

One last thing, BB, it became clear to me over the course of this thread that you know a great deal more about computers than I was aware of, simply because you hadn't been around that much. Just because the thread is in advanced, doesn't mean we stop "teaching." It's just at a different level.

Does this help anything?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 pm 
welcoming committee

Patty, that definitely answers some of my concern, and I now understand and support the purpose of your Advanced Forum. I have absolutely no objection to Jay moving my thread to Advanced.....it has certainly surpassed my expectations regarding a simple question about the merits of using Easy Transfer.

Speaking of responses, I probably should have stopped reading after Steve first gave me a concise, useful answer, which was: "Use Easy Transfer and then drag/drop any data that ET missed".

The objection I had with Jay's statement is that he said a novice should probably seek professional help when replacing a computer. I was hoping that Computer Haven would provide such support even to novices, since this is a fairly common occurrence.

Regards...........

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 pm 
Fearless Leader

Understood. And yes, we provide as much help as we can. There has been only one instance in all the years of this forum that we have told someone to seek professional help. That was unfortunate, but also came after a great deal of effort was expended on trying to help this person to no avail.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 pm 

Actually the thread has not been moved yet Patty. I meant to get with you on that and forgot. Should we move it?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:04 am 
Fearless Leader

Yes, please.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:13 am 

Move is done and I left a shadow. I was tempted to move it to 'Restore' but it is really not a system restore thread so put it in 'Other'.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:19 am 
Fearless Leader

Good. Thank you. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:19 am 

YW :)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:21 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Move is done and I left a shadow. I was tempted to move it to 'Restore' but it is really not a system restore thread so put it in 'Other'.

Jay, what is a 'shadow'? The subject posting still appears to be in both places. Is that what is meant by a shadow?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:40 pm 

The reference that is in the original forum has no actual content but is just a link to the new location. Yes, that makes it a Shadow as it really has no body. It allows a member to easily still find a topic that has been moved.

You may also notice that the subject is not exactly the same in both locations.
In the old location:
"Moved: Best Way to Move Data to New Computer"
In the new location:
"Best Way to Move Data to New Computer"
The forum software changes the subject line in the original location automatically to indicate to a member that the thread is actually in a new location. It is meant to make things easier for us mere humans. :mrgreen: Patty, of course, needs no such aids as she is Vulcan. ;)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:29 am 
Fearless Leader

Fascinating idea...

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:58 am 
welcoming committee

I just wanted to do a final report on the status of my new computer. It is up and running, and I did it all without the use of Easy Transfer. I re-installed all my programs and transferred program data by means of flash drives and/or an external HDD. I did use the export/import functions within Internet Explorer and Windows Live Mail. And yes, I got all my old email messages transferred to the new computer.

The one major glitch I encountered was with Microsoft's Virtual PC running XP Mode (I needed XP to run four old programs). For some reason, XP Mode didn't like the fact that my new computer had both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports; even though I plugged a USB device into a 2.0 port, XP Mode still would not recognize the device. So at the encouragement of members like Jay, Pete, Acadia, et al, I took the plunge and decided to use VirtualBox (VB) to set up my XP Pro virtual machine.

Well, reading the VB manual was a tough read, and I was having trouble; I even tried reading it in different languages, lol. That's when Jay stepped in and led the way for me. He installed VB on his computer, sent me useful iso's, and led me step-by-step when needed. And my 'need' encompassed a multitude of questions, which he patiently answered. The XP Pro VM is now up and running on my new computer, as are the four old programs that I was worried about (all are 16-bit programs that won't run under Win 7 64 bit). So thanks again to Jay for a yeoman's job.

And thanks to all of you who provided encouragement and advice along the way. I am now a happy camper.

Respectfully...........

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:13 am 

I'm so pleased to hear you have everything running to your satisfaction. It was an interesting thread to follow and I've enjoyed seeing your progress.

Well done to Jay and all for the wonderful help they gave, another reason this is such a very good forum to belong to when anyone needs help with their computer problems.

Another thumbs up for Computer Haven :tup2:

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:54 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
I am now a happy camper.

Excellent, bbarry. As far as that Virtual stuff goes, keep on keeping on, that VB thread went WAY above my head many posts ago and I thought that I understood most of that stuff. But great news on your system! :urock:
Acadia

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:32 pm 

You are welcome bbarry and thanks Joan. :)

---------------------------------------------

Acadia, if I had not messed up, the thread probably would not have gone way above your head. All bbarry had was an upgrade XP install. I didn't want him to use it as it would not be exactly right as there would not have been an earlier qualified OS installed. Since my understanding was that he had been upgrading from one OS to another for several versions of Windows just having the previous OS install to stick in would not work.

So I solved the above issue by sending him a legit install key code for XP Pro that I'll never use again. I had two and now I have one. Since, even in a VM, I can't see ever having more than one install so I lost nothing. At this point all is fine and I made an image of my XP Pro service pack 2 install disk and also sent that... LOL! VERY quickly after I told him not to use it. I REALLY don't understand this but a burn of the image would not boot. It should as the CD it was taken from boots fine but would not.

Here is where I got lazy and cost bbarry some time and effort that was not needed. I went looking for a working image of the XP install with service pack 3 already slipstreamed. I found one that really caught my eye as it was almost too good to be cool (it was). It was sure enough XP SP3 with updates included from past the time SP3 was released.

Since I had already installed from my XP Pro CD, and had done the key code thing, I just didn't notice that I wasn't asked for a key code when I then wiped the VM and installed the new ISO. SO he installed it and all was fine, things were working great. Then, a few days later, I got a notification that XP was not activated. OK, no problem, just activate... no option to do so. I got taken in. I admit it, I spent over an hour looking for any issue involved with the ISO and found nothing negative. This should have been a clue as there is ALWAYS a negative to be found if something is legit. Sigh (again) even the best running back in the NFL can catch his toe on a piece of loose sod and land on his face.

SO I went back and started again. Found a proper ISO with SP3. Actually proofed it this time as I should have in the first place. Key code entry was asked, activation was proper and it passes the 'Genuine Windows test'.

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing