Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:08 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Something else I noticed about my Hotmail account that may or may not have an impact on Acadia's issue.

As stated before Hotmail will take a long time to connect the first check after a re-boot but I have noticed something else. If I send an email through Hotmail it will take several minutes for it to show up in my sent folder. Any other account and it will be in my sent folder almost immediately. This is with Live Mail.

Since Acadia is using web based mail I doubt that any of this is relevant but figured that I'd throw it out there just in case. All my other accounts are POP3 while I believe that my Hotmail account is IMAP. Not even sure about the IMAP, just know that it is not POP3. Here is the listing under the server in properties.
Code:
https://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx

Since the active application is 'sync.aspx' which indicates a sync process I assume that it is actually IMAP or doing the function same but really don't know. The second server listing which would be SMTP in POP3 is empty.

I also tried the web based via FF and had no slowness issues.

@ Acadia: Sorry about referring to you in the third party in the above so much but my post is mainly to give info that I've experienced to others that are more knowledgeable in this area then am I.

Are you fully up to date as to .net Framework packages? The current version is 4.6.1 I believe. Since outlook/live/Hotmail web versions are displayed via a programming language called ASPX the pages are reliant on .net Framework. On Windows 7 .net Framework 4.x.x would have to be installed as it is not natively included. If I remember correctly it will only show up under optional updates. Here is a link to what versions of .net Framework is included within each version of Windows along with a listing of which versions can be added per OS. You will also find a link to go to a page to directly download the installers. Dang, the link does not seem to want to display properly so you would have to copy/paste from the below.

Code:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049(v=vs.110).aspx

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Your Hotmail account is not IMAP, Jay, assuming it is an @hotmail account it uses DeltaSync to synchronize.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeltaSync

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:27 pm 

Gmail is IMAP, although when first setting it up I could have got IMAP or POP for it. At least I've got my Hotmail account working again in Windows Live Mail 2012.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I might? have it figured out: MS only allows single cookies, not two? Upon playing around, if I allow the slower website (without any sandboxes or shadowing anywhere), it now becomes fast and the other one slows down. Allow the former fast one again, it again becomes fast and the other slows down again.

Does allowing cookies for one account replace all of the MS cookies thereby killing all the gains of the other? If so, that would explain much. No problem, I use one account much more than the other, for important stuff, so I'll just keep that one fast. By the way (Acadia ducks) if this is correct, gmail or yahoo never did this to me.
Thank you,
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:39 pm 
Fearless Leader

Yeah, but I have two accounts, and it doesn't do it to me. ;) Still, it is a possibility for FF, I guess.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:56 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Patty.

@Jay, I've been trying to check MS updates for a Netframework update, but the update checker just keeps running and running and running. I even rebooted, but normally it only takes a couple of minutes to check my system, this is bordering on 20 minutes, twice now. (Yes, I always do my MS updates manually).

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Update. Looks like our Fearless Leader was correct: this appears to be a Firefox issue. After half-an-hour MS updates finally chimed in. There were 8 netframework updates so I installed them all, still made no difference. Again as a refresher, if I allowed the slow account it became fast and the fast account became slow, and then re-allowed the fast one, it became fast again, and you can guess the rest.

So I am simply going to keep my important account fast and the other one slow, no big deal, I was more curious than annoyed; my inquiring mind simply wanted to know.
Thanks to all, especially Jay and Patty,
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:24 pm 
Fearless Leader

Well... glad we finally got that cleared up! LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:59 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As long as you are satisfied but, to be honest, I'm still curious. If you don't mind, did the .net Framework updates include 4.6.1? Remember that any .net Framework install (not an update to the version) would be in optional updates. Natively Windows 7 only includes up to .net Framework 3.5.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:41 pm 
welcoming committee

4.6.1 was one of them, KB3102433. It was not in the Optional, but rather with the rest of them.
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:37 pm 
welcoming committee

Ahhh, Microsoft is doing it to me again unless I am really behind this tech. Several weeks ago I tried to send a friend an email, using Hotmail, Outlook, or whatever it is called, and it got STUCK in the Drafts folder. I cannot send it or delete it, it is still there. In that same Hotmail, Outlook or whatever account, yesterday I received an email in my Inbox. But I could not find it, I searched everywhere. This morning I noticed a "Focused Other" item at the top of my inbox. Upon playing, I discovered that my hidden email was under "Other". Again I say, computing should be SIMPLE not only to newbies but to everyone. MS, you are making Yahoo or, dare I say it, Google mail, look awfully temping for all my stuff.
Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email