Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Thunderbird not working.
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:58 pm 
welcoming committee

I have been using Thunderbird for the mail through my ISP. I like using it because I find it easy to use. Before Thunderbird I used Outlook Express.

Just lately I have noticed that I am not receiving my mail promptly. I also get the same mail on my ipad, but if I am writing a long email, I find I make way less mistakes using a computer keyboard.

I have been into Thunderbird and clicked "get messages" several times. I also shut down Thunderbird and restarted it. But still there are half a dozen emails that I have received on my ipad and not on the computer.

Can anyone recommend a more efficient email client for me to use - or suggest why Thunderbird isn't retrieving my emails properly. My computer is running Windows 8 Home Premium. I have a 2003 version of Office together with Microsoft Outlook but there was something I didn't like about that.

Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:18 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I have never used Thunderbird except for a look several years ago so cannot be of much use as to your exact issue but still have a comment or three. ;)

The first thing that I would do would be to try a new email provider. Try Microsoft's Live system for an example. I would do this even if you were not having issues. I just do not like using an ISP email system as what happens if you change providers? Just send a bunch of emails to yourself to see if things improve.

As to a different email client I use Microsoft's Live Mail 2012. This would only be an option if you stay with your ISP email or another outside of the Microsoft system. The problem with Live Mail and a MS email is that MS changed their email system to the point that it is no longer workable with Live Mail. There is a patch for Live Mail that fixes this but I don't think that the patch is any longer available.

As a note you state that you are running Windows 8. I hope that you actually mean Windows 8.1.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:01 am 
Fearless Leader

You will be happiest with Windows Live Mail, from Windows Essentials 2012. It is most similar to the programs you have used , but much better. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... essentials

Click the language to begin your download. (English US, or English UK.)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:55 pm 
welcoming committee

No -- sorry that was me typing numbers - I am really sloppy at that -- I meant Windows 7.

OK I will check out Windows Live.

It's ok for me to use my ISP email because I haven't changed for years. You can actually get it on the Internet but I like to have the program open instead of finding it on the Internet. I need something that will allow me to send multiple emails. I am the "message" person for my local kennel club so I have a document with all the email addresses in it and I copy and paste them into bcc and forward them on.

Thanks for the help.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 am 
Fearless Leader

Let us know how that works for you, will you?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Gotta tell ya Purley, I would forget your problem for a while and see how you like your ISP's website. It works the same, well for the important stuff, looks different of course, but then you have one less piece of software on your PC complicating things up. I am still using Thunderbird, but am directing all my more important email outfits to other emails. On my next new computer, which will have to be Windows10, I have no choice and that is not necessarily a bad thing, I am planning on NOT having an eMail client. For better for for worst, email clients, in my opinion, are becoming passe. The "cloud" is taking over ... :wacko2:
Acadia

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks. A good point. I am probably really just too lazy to figure out if I can send a bunch of BCC emails from the webmail site! I use my iPad for short emails but I am pretty useless at typing long emails on the ipad - and dictating them is almost worse. Somehow or other changing Siri to an English accent, doesn't help. I guess a have an Anglo/Canadian accent that muddles poor Siri up!

My ISP is my local telephone company. I think it's the last government telephone company in Canada. All the others have been or are being taken over by Telus or Bell which seem to be the only choice in Canada. I am not keen. We have the most popular provincial Premier in Canada and he seems to have "people" in mind whereas those big companies I don't think they give a darn about anything but money! So maybe in the future I will have no choice but to use web mail so I will work on it!

By the way, I got Thunderbird working again. I phoned my ISP and usually what the tech people say is "Sorry, we don't support third party email programs" but they can't have been very busy because when he said "its probably a problem with your account settings" - I went into account settings and it turned out that there were problems with the incoming mail server settings. The incoming mail worked fine earlier in the day. The port number had changed from something like "997" to "110". He told me what it should be and I changed it. There were other problems too. I can assure you I did not go in there after lunch and muck about with the settings. It must have been some computer gremlin.

Anyway, it's working now.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email