Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 Mail App
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:34 am 
welcoming committee

At this time I did a system image restore. It was much simpler for me to go back a couple weeks and restore the system and the two programs I updated. I never thought it would be that much work to fix the Mail app.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:14 am 
Site Admin

It appears that you are not alone with the problem, though that doesn't help you at all.
In this thread, some have reported that the problem repaired itself -- at least temporarily.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 213?page=1
Sadly, although a variety of troubleshooting has been suggested so far, some the same as here, nothing has been reported in that thread as the fix and the cause hasn't been nailed down.

Are you using or have you used a 3rd party antivirus program on this PC?

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:44 am 

I don't use the online version of mail. I started out using Outlook Express when I got Windows 98 so I could have all my email accounts, RSS Feeds, newsgroups etc. in one place. Changed to Windows Live Mail when that became available and now use Windows Live Mail 2012 on my Windows 10 Notebook.

Since '98 I've had a Hotmail account, gmail account and a few aliases via my ISP and lately got an Outlook account. Never had any real problems and I got the patch when I got the notice about things not working unless I did.

I tried using Outlook for all my mail but wasn't happy because of the way the RSS Feeds worked so went back to Windows Live Mail.

It's all working, the only problem is the way things switch between Hotmail and Outlook, at times all the mail for those accounts will arrive via Hotmail and nothing arrives in Outlook. I think it's probably tied in with updates but every so often all their mail will arrive via Outlook and nothing in Hotmail.

It doesn't really bother me and I'll perhaps only lose the odd email but it is a puzzle and one I've not bothered trying to solve. :-D

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:12 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Are you using or have you used a 3rd party antivirus program on this PC?

-steve

Yes I do. I have been using Bitdefender Total security 2016 for te last year. I am trying Emsisoft Anti Malware now. I just changed last week.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

Did you completely remove Bitdefender before installing Emisoft? If you left it on the machine, but disabled it, I'd completely remove Bitdefender.
Use this tool -- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... tall-tool/ to remove all bits. If not completely gone, something may be conflicting with Emisoft.
Does Emisoft provide "email" scanning as a feature? If so, disable it. How about "web protection?" If so, disable it and see what happens. If nothing changes feel free to enable both again.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:19 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Steve for the link to the removal tool. I had removed Bitdefender by using the standard Windows uninstall programs tool before installing Emsisoft Antivirus. I did run the Bitdefender uninstall tool from the link you provided just to be sure. Everything appears to be back to normal after the windows image restore...as of now anyway. This is just another of the many examples that prove why you should have good backups. Thanks everyone.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, so an image restore was your ultimate resolution. Curious -- after the image restore, you were back on Bitdefender and Mail worked? And it continues to work after removing Bitdefender and replacing it with Emisoft?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:28 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Ah, so an image restore was your ultimate resolution. Curious -- after the image restore, you were back on Bitdefender and Mail worked? And it continues to work after removing Bitdefender and replacing it with Emisoft?

I was still on Emsisoft Antivirus after the image restore as the image was created directly after the removal of Bitdefender and Emsisoft installation. Bitdefender Total Security 2016 was a complete security suite including a firewall. I've down scaled with Emsisoft Antivirus while using Windows Firewall again. That's what surprised me when the Mail app stopped working correctly. My system had been changed for two weeks before the Mail app malfunctioned. I had been using Bitdefender for almost a year with no Mail app problems.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:32 am 
Fearless Leader

This is a behavior I have seen with several other security suites. Everything works for awhile, then BAM, things get blocked for no apparent reason, leaving you scratching your head. I've seen it in Norton, McAfee (especially!) and Kaspersky. Never saw it with ESET.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:02 pm 
welcoming committee

If I may be so bold to state, try the Emsisoft Internet Security Suite, again, if that is the case. Their software firewall works "nonexistent" with my Verizon hardware. I am NOT slamming ESET, have not used it in years. Norton, McAfee, KAS on the other hand ... no comment. :omg:

And if Emsisoft should not work for you, their tech support is now up there with Raxco's, in my opinion. :dance2:
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
If I may be so bold to state, try the Emsisoft Internet Security Suite, again, if that is the case. Their software firewall works "nonexistent" with my Verizon hardware. I am NOT slamming ESET, have not used it in years. Norton, McAfee, KAS on the other hand ... no comment. :omg:

And if Emsisoft should not work for you, their tech support is now up there with Raxco's, in my opinion. :dance2:
Acadia

Acadia I have not tried the Emsisoft Security Suite yet. I'm on their anti-virus only trial period. I thought I would use the Windows 10 Firewall. How does Windows Firewall rate these days?

I left Bitdefender because it doesn't play nice with Sandboxie.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not a fan of 3rd party firewalls for the typical home user. The Windows Firewall works very well to protect against inbound intrusion. Anything on the PC can generally go out, so the goal is to prevent infection and be aware of what you choose to install. 3rd party firewalls have a bad habit of blocking legitimate activity and any "email scanning" provided by antivirus software tends to interfere more than it protects.
-steve

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:33 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
While I totally agree with Stephen as to third party firewalls within Windows in a way I DO still use one. Even if you only have one system I believe that there should still be a router with a hardware firewall. Just an added layer of protection that should not interfere with anything actually going on with the system.

My arguement for a router with a hardware firewall is for the protection of your friends and contacts. Say that you have the missfortune of getting infected. The outgoing protection of the router's hardware firewall may POSSIBLY prevent your infection from being spread to people you directly contact through your system such as emails.

I would NEVER claim to be a guru as to security especially concerning firewalls. Still it just seems to make sense to me to also have outgoing protection through a router. Even throwing out the thought of preventing an infection on your system being spread to others via emails or such there are some infections that just put in a lilttle 'hook' in to the system that does nothing but allow this minor infection to 'call home'. Once this little guy calls home an opening is made to bring in more bad stuff. In theory the incomming protection of Windows firewall SHOULD still prevent this happening but the system is infected... Since the system is infected can we know that the Windows firewall has been compromised? At a glance of course not but the point is that we also cannot say that it has not.

Just my personal opinion. Unless I take my laptop or tablet outside of my home I will never be on the internet without using a hardware firewalled router.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:17 am 
welcoming committee

Jay aren't you talking about something different than Steve? He and I are talking about a firewall contained in a security suite, at least I was. My home network uses a secure router. With all the virtual security software such as Sandboxie and Shadow Defender available to use in conjunction with your on system security I would think you can keep your system bug free. If we keep talking about security this thread will get moved.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:23 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Mayhaps I am coming from a slightly different direction but was basically agreeing with Steve.

I am just saying that I, also, don't use third party firewalls yet use a router's hardware firewall. It was just an opinion that all systems should use a router.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Ritzter13 wrote:
Jay aren't you talking about something different than Steve? He and I are talking about a firewall contained in a security suite, at least I was.

Yep - I was also referring to the use of a 3rd party firewall on the PC.

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email