Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post subject: Yahoo Exposed Again
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:56 pm 
welcoming committee

This just came across in Rueters News today. Yahoo has discovered another, even larger security breach then the one found in 2014. This is the first article I've read and posting the link.

Yahoo Exposed

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post subject: Re: Yahoo Exposed Again
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:35 am 
welcoming committee

Yahoo is leaving the building...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:15 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Manny.

Yes they were supposed to merge with Verizon. I'm not sure if the deal is still on. I know I would be skeptical if I was buying a box of bugs instead of a reliable communication outlet.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:33 pm 
Fearless Leader

This is an old exposure - the extent of which was just unearthed. Just to be clear. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:04 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
This is an old exposure - the extent of which was just unearthed. Just to be clear. ;)

Yes Patty, it is older than the first reported breach. It's still significant because they discovered more
information loss. I personally don't use Yahoo for anything, never have and won't start now.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:15 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I USED to use Yahoo as a Home Page but have not for many years. I still have an email account with Yahoo but that is just used if I need to enter an email address of a site but don't want to use one I monitor. In other words my Yahoo email account is a trash bin. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:22 pm 
welcoming committee

1 billion accounts, good grief. Where does it end?

Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:05 am 
welcoming committee

Acadia wrote:
1 billion accounts, good grief. Where does it end?

Acadia
I do the same thing as Jay. That is, use it as a trash collector, so it will never end until Yahoo turns off the lights.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:47 pm 
welcoming committee

It's simply staggering the amount of time it's taken to disclose these breaches... add that Yahoo apparently may never have known about the 2013 hack if it were not for the on-going investigation by the authorities into the 2014 hack is all the more staggering to the point it almost completely defies belief!

I have to somewhat ashamedly admit that I sort of got sucked into being a Yahoo email user by the backdoor, my then ISP (now morphed into an entity called) VirginMedia used to have their own standalone email servers (POP3 & IMAP only) but they outsourced them to Gmail and shut down their in-house email servers... I wasn't particularly happy with that but as the migration was seamless I went with the flow.

VirginMedia also provide cable TV etc.

A while later I changed my TV provision from VirginMedia to the satellite TV provider Sky who also supplied email, but maintained VirginMedia as my ISP.

Because sky.com is much easier and shorter to type than virginmedia.com and because they both used Gmail servers for email I switched my primary email address to Sky... and the rest is history as they say.... Sky later dropped Gmail in favour of Yahoo a few years ago but as I had little reason to suspect they were any worse I again went with the flow... that said, I wasn't happy with either and even toyed with the idea of setting up my own email server or buying a domain name from a company that gave access to their own email servers.

I'm not sure where I go from here other than I need to drop Yahoo like a hot potato, I have a standalone Gmail account I can access as an alternate, I did have an outlook.com account but I think that's probably lapsed and someone else is using the email address because my passwords won't work... I'm waiting to hear back from MS if the security questions I supplied are enough to let me access that account again.

I wouldn't exactly say that anything I do with email is sensitive except for the information I give when I sign up for an account but that's not really the point.

Suffice to say I had little trust in any company that supplied webmail, now I have none.

That said, Tutanota does look encouraging so that one day email may once again have some semblance of security, total overkill for what I need and most likely impractical (as it stands) but it certainly has the potential to be a game changer:
https://tutanota.com

I'll end this rant with a little bit of Scots, I'm scunnered.

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email