Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Re: TV Tuners
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:16 am 
welcoming committee

Hi Jay I wish I would have followed this thread from the beginning. You created quite a setup. From what I've read here Manny must have quite a home theater too. There is nothing like have a great audio/video system. Before I go on, in case you ever need more cables here is an alternate website I can give a positive rating, monoprice cables/switches.

Manny wrote:
In your next iteration you should try surround sound. A blu-ray DVD performs as if you are in a professional theater. It's really amazing. Sure you don't need it but it's just a way to step it up a notch with very enjoyable results. Some of these movies put you right in the middle of the action with sounds coming from all around you. Not needed, just nice!

Manny is absolutely correct about blu-ray movies. They immerse you into the movie with crisp clear video quality and the surround sound is very intense. It encapsulates you with all the secondary background sounds for a full theater experience. Blu-ray brings movies like the Fast and Furious series, Marvel's Thor, Captain America and the Avengers series and any other action cinema to life. I definitely recommend blu-ray.

My system consists of (I want to brag a little):
  1. Acoustimass 10 Series V home theater speaker system
  2. Pioneer VSX-52 - 7.1 Channel 3D Ready Elite A/V Receiver
  3. McIntosh MA6100 Stereo Preampilfier Power Amplifier (inherited - 50 yrs old)
  4. Accoustic Research AR-3 Speakers (also inherited - 50 yrs old) used for my front left / right channels, connected to the McIntosh Preamp.

I have my movies stored as MKV files on 4 - 3 TB HDD in hot swap bays in my computer. I play them with Power DVD 16 onto a 55" Samsung Smart TV. Needless to say it sounds awesome. When cranked up it's almost as good as the IMAX theaters.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:05 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi Terry,

Your McIntosh MA6100 looks awesome! I'm jealous!!! ;)

WOW! I forgot about Power DVD. I have used it in the past. Right now I'm using Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

I DO have Blu-ray ability as the optical drive in my media system is a Blu-ray burner but I only have one Blu-ray disk. This is for a few reasons.
1) I rip my movies to my 4 TB internal drive in DVD format. If I were to do this in a Blu-ray format there is no way that I would have 525 movies on the drive with ~0.8 TB still free.
2) My setup is in my living room not a dedicated room such as Manny has. Keep in mind that I'm in 1 bedroom apartment sitting 8-9 feet from my screens.
3) While I want good visual and audio I am not really an audio or video 'phile'. I just want decent output. Shoot half the time I'm watching a movie I throw it to my 32 inch HDTV while doing computer stuff on the 42 inch HDTV.

Yes I know the difference between the audio I have and true surround sound but my Yamaha system does quite well. When I lived in Florida I had full surround with 1000 watts per channel but I was in a house. Right now I'm in a senior apartment building (55 and older) that does not have the best sound proofing. LOL! If I had the audio system I had in Florida I'd probably get kicked out of the place. :mrgreen: Still my Yamaha system is sort of strange as to the layout and sounds really, REALLY good for what is basically a 12 speaker sound bar. No the thing is not clear as the following image shows. The image is just a transparent shot of the speaker setup. Could my audio be better? Of course it could but this thing puts out some pretty awesome sound. I am glad that the main speakers have a separate volume control than the sub-woofers as the subs can vibrate my floor. LOL! I'm sure that the resident on the floor below me would not appreciate his ceiling vibrating. :mrgreen: To give an aspect to the speaker layout the with of the Yamaha is about 6 inches less than the width of my 42 inch HDTV.
Attachment:
yamaha-srt-1000-speakers-3.jpg
yamaha-srt-1000-speakers-3.jpg [ 77.25 KiB | Viewed 22637 times ]

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:21 am 
welcoming committee

I borrowed the pictures of my vintage equipment from the internet. The picture below is my setup. There are also Left and right rear surround speakers not shown that complete the full audio effect. They are the same as the black ones mounted on the wall above the TV, part of the Bose system.

I remember you mentioning your residence a while back. I'm lucky enough to live in a condo with a basement that I finished 4 years ago. I spend lots of time in the mancave watching movies and streaming Netflix TV shows. I on any given day I may binge watch 4 or 5 episodes of a show offered on Netflix. It's all about what works for you. If you're comfortable that's all that counts. By the way, the DivX is another player you might consider.

DivX software

This picture shows my setup, taken standing behind sofa.

I was watching a Fast and Furious movie at the time of this picture. My computer monitors on my desk and the wall mount flat panel are all connected to my AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 200 Series Graphics card. I use an UltraAV Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to 3 DisplayPort Multi-Display MST Hub to connect my desktop monitors.

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Lovely stereo equipment, Terry!
(nice PC display setup, too!)
I never did get any McIntosh equipment, but always coveted it back in the day. I remember the AR3's fondly. Back in 1978 or so, I considered them, but ended up with Alison 6 speakers. I still have them and they still sound awesome. I drive them through an old JVC receiver, but sadly they rarely see any use these days. Most of my music listening is on the computer, through a Cambridge Soundworks 7.1 set up -- subwoofer and 7 tiny cube speakers -- or via Bluetooth to headphones or my car stereo.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 pm 
welcoming committee

Thank you Steve. My uncle bought the McIntosh amplifier, AR3 speakers and a Bang Olufsen Beogram 3000 turntable back in 1967. This equipment sat unused since 1985 until 2013 when I had the amplifier and turntable reconditioned. Using the McIntosh as a preamp for the AR3 speakers filters the sound for a cleaner audio experience.

Vinyl is making a comeback. I have some albums that I have played through the system and they sound pretty good. Some are clean and some have a few small scratches but they all play.

Steve just like anything they need to be kept in action periodically. I was very worried about the speaker paper in the AR3s drying out over the years, becoming brittle and cracking when sound played through them. They have been in use now for 3-1/2 years and still sound great.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 pm 

Sigh, todays audio stuff may be nice but I just love the appearance of the older stuff. Very nice Terry! :)

Made me think of some speakers I had in the early mid 1970's. I had an OK but nothing special stereo, Hitachi if I remember correctly. Anyway I wanted more speakers but didn't want to spend much so I went to K-Mart. I kept looking at other speakers but always seemed to go back to a set of large towers. I figured that if I kept going back to them I might as well get the things. My ceiling was $100.00 and this set was ~$80.00. My gut reaction panned out. When I got them home I immediately opened the cases to check the wire connections for bad soldier joints and such. I'd still do the same today. As soon as I opened the backs I knew why I kept going back to the things in the store...

Intermission.......... LOL! Don't you just hate it when I drag out the suspense? The weather has been wonderful here in Sheridan Wyoming. Middle of February and we are seeing temps in the low to high 50's.......... End of intermission.

Apparently there was a messed up shipment or K-Mart just did not know what they had. It didn't register in the store but what kept bringing me back to these speakers was that the silver cones could be seen through the black cloth front cover. For ~$80.00 I got about 200 inches of JBL Lansing speakers mounted on hardwood. I have no idea as to what those speakers were actually worth but I do know that it was a LOT more than the ~$80.00 I paid. :mrgreen:

This is added as Terry posted while I was typing... Yes, Vinyl IS coming back. People are finding that they do not hear on a CD what they hear at a concert. For someone like me that is not an audiophile this is fine; my audio is just fine. Still there is the difference between digital and analog. It is the same with photography as it is with audio. Analog is pretty much unlimited while digital is always restricted. MP3's are great for general listening and you can put a thousand songs on a CD. Now consider an old DBX system running at 5000 watts (a friend actually had such a system). You could actually hear the fingers slide along the strings of a guitar. Due to compression loss you just are not likely to get that with an MP3. In photography it does not matter how many megapixels you have as it is still restricted to a specific number of dots. With film and negatives there is no restriction. If you want to spend the money you could take a little 35 MM negative and blow it up to cover the side of a building without loss. You just could not do this with digital.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:12 pm 
Fearless Leader

I still mourn the loss of my EPI 401's. The most glorious speakers. Of course the MOST GLORIOUS speakers I have ever heard were Klipschorns. Ahhhh....

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:57 am 
welcoming committee

Jay you tell a good story. You keep it interesting and it flows well.

Patty I know Klipsch is reputable and makes excellent speakers.

If I was younger and starting from scratch today building my home theater system I would be saving for Klipsch speakers. Not necessarily the Klipschorns, as those are $12,000 a pair, but definitely a speaker system to integrate with a good A/V receiver. Where I'm at now I'm very comfortable with my equipment.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:40 pm 
Fearless Leader

A friend of mine had a brother who worked for Klipsch, or a store that sold them, not sure which. Anyway, the story goes that he sold a pair of horns to Van Cliburn, the great pianist. Cliburn built his home around the horns, as is appropriate for those speakers. They have to be positioned just so and the acoustics of the room have to be just so to do justice to the speakers.

I heard them in the home of an employer (they ran their little office out of their home), and I would say that the acoustics were very good, but not likely as good as Van Cliburn's! Nonetheless, he played some classical music for me at a whisper volume - you could hear every single thing as though you were listening to normal volume. It was totally amazing. So, if I were younger, and richer, I'd be buying a pair of Klipschorns and building my house to go with them. :)

We do have a pair of Klipsch floor standing speakers, Reference Premiere series (RP-3s); and we both have Klipsch computer speakers as well. The latter are surprisingly good! I think they ran $250 a pair at the time that I bought mine. The RP-3s were around $1500 for the pair. Nothing like the horns, but good speakers.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 pm 

I see you have one of my favourite shows on your TV Terry, NCIS love that show. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:
You just have to use Amazon more! LOL

LOL! You win Patty. :mrgreen: Since I've never 'done' Amazon other than occasional purchases I never really looked in to Prime. Just seeing Prime at checkout advertising free 2 day shipping I actually thought that was all it was.

Well last night I ordered another patch cable from Amazon and decided to actually investigate Prime a bit. I had no idea that it also included music, movies, TV, etc.. Add to that the fact that my software streaming DVR, PlayOn, also works with Prime it ended up being a no brainer and I'm signed up. It boils down to ~$8.25 a month which is just about what I pay for streaming Netflix without shipping, music and a few other advantages with Prime.

BTW, speaking of streaming... Yahoo has joined the crowd with Yahoo View.
https://view.yahoo.com/
It is powered by HULU and free. Of course free means that it is ad supported. Being in no way a fan of Yahoo I'm not sure if I'll actively use or not. Then again it is included as a channel within PlayOn so I could use the stream without going to Yahoo directly as PlayOn also acts as a viewer. Since PlayOn, at least in DVR mode, has ad skip... I may have to look at Yahoo View.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:03 am 
Fearless Leader

Enjoy, Jay. :) Unfortunately my husband holds the prime account now (I did for the first several years), and I found out that all those other prime benefits (except shipping) only belong to the prime account holder. So John gets all those things, but I do not.

However, in looking over the offerings, I don't really find them to be that valuable. There are books I could read for free with Prime, but then I would lose them if I stopped using Prime. The music they have is not generally stuff I would listen to, and there are very few movies I am at all moved to see - and those I would like to see are not free with prime. In fact many of them aren't even rentable, you have to buy them.

But I sure love my free shipping! On my ketogenic diet there are all sorts of things I need I simply can't get locally and Amazon seems to have them all! :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:23 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Just seeing Prime at checkout advertising free 2 day shipping I actually thought that was all it was.

Free 2 day delivery by Amazon in the US always surprises me because in the UK we get free next day delivery and in some areas free same day delivery, I'm not complaining it just surprises me that we're faster than you at something! lol ;)

I haven't used the same day delivery option yet even though it's available in the Edinburgh area but it's a nice option to have if i really needed it... what i really love about Amazon though is the Prime users returns policy when an item is "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon", i can't see how anyone could improve on that and i'll often go out of my way to hunt down products that Amazon dispatches and sells even if it may not be the cheapest option simply for the peace of mind that i don't have to jump through hoops to sort out a faulty product that i may deem critical... my recent faulty PSU being a great example of how painless it should be to return and get a faulty product replaced.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:22 pm 
Fearless Leader

Ummm Doddie... we're BIGGER than you! LOL

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:

That did cross my mind, i therefore thought you would have more distribution centres ;)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:33 pm 

I use Amazon quite a bit, I have a Kindle so have the free online photo storage plus I have Prime for the next day delivery. I'm not into streaming or movies but my daughter and her hubby are so they use my account for movies they want, plus the next day delivery. They pay half the cost so it costs us both £39.50 a year for it.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:45 pm 

I have very seldom had to return an item bought on-line but have on occasion. One such item was a mother board bought through Tiger Direct. I was quite surprised when they even paid the return shipping.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:53 pm 
Fearless Leader

Doddie wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

That did cross my mind, i therefore thought you would have more distribution centres ;)

Och...
Let's see, Scotland - 78,387 square kilometers, US - 9.83 million square kilometers;
Population Scotland - 5.3 Million; population US - 321.42 Million.

Looks like more than 70 Fulfillment centers in the US, I can't tell how many are in the UK. They offer tours at 2 facilities - but that doesn't mean that's all there are.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Doddie wrote:
MacDuffie wrote:

We actually have quite a few Amazon distribution centers in the US and they are well leveraged to offer same day and next day delivery in some metropolitan areas, and the 2 day shipping all over the US. They use different carriers to move and deliver the packages, depending on where they are coming from, where the customer is, and what speed is needed to meet the commitment. In the last year, more and more packages are being delivered by Amazon's own vehicles here in my area -- as long as the package originates in one of the regional distribution centers. If the item comes from the other side of the US, they typically use UPS to move the package.

-steve

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 pm 
Fearless Leader

Love delivery by Amazon's fleet - they often even deliver on Sunday!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am 
welcoming committee

Well, I ordered LED strip lights from Amazon for my new office shelves on a Friday morning. By Sunday afternoon they had reached the backwoods of north Georgia. What really amazed me is that the US Post Office delivered the package on a SUNDAY! Amazon must have heck of a leverage with the PO to get them to deliver on a Sunday right in the middle of a holiday weekend. Amazon fulfillment is something else and I also search for items they handle directly.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:09 am 
welcoming committee

My friend in California while taking care of her mother had very little time for grocery shopping. The last two years of this schedule she used the Amazon grocery service for her staple and canned goods. Amazon would deliver her order to her porch the next morning. She was very satisfied with their service.

I purchase by blu-ray movies, Melitta coffee filters and other miscellaneous products from Amazon.

BTW, how did this topic shift from home electronics to Amazon shopping. :o :lol:

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:50 pm 

Oh quite easily Terry you know what we're like here. :-)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 pm 

Ritzter13 wrote:
BTW, how did this topic shift from home electronics to Amazon shopping. :o :lol:

Actually I can precisely answer that question. I mentioned that I bought a device from Amazon but did not have Amazon Prime. That is all it took. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:45 pm 
welcoming committee

Yes you did Jay. So you derailed your own topic! :rofl2:

BTW, I mentioned PowerDVD earlier. Another feature that goes with that is a Power DVD Remote app in both Android and Apple that turn your device into a remote control. It can be a smart phone or a tablet. They run through your WiFi!

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware