Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:52 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a problem with my File Properties>Details. I am told by MY computer which I'M the Admin of, the ONLY USER of this machine, that I need permission from myself to change the details of my video file. I need to rename Main feature #2 to Fast Five and possibly give it a rating. When I perform those items and hit the save button I get error in picture #4 lower right. I've tried everything that I can think of but can not gain access to save the details. I can open the file and play the file but can't change the details. What am I missing? I have no idea how long this restriction has been active. I know my Win 10 has upgraded a couple times since the initial change from Win 7. Currently running Win 10 Pro - 64 bit V:1607 OS Build: 14393.693

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Last edited by Ritzter13 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:08 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm probably not going to be a lot of help with this but just looking at your image #4 nmakes me ask the following that may help others help... Is this all within one system or over a network? Your image #4 makes me suspect that it is a network permission issue just due to the 'name' that is requesting permission.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay this computer is on a network but all this is on one system. ASUS2 is my main machine and ASUS3 is my secondary machine upstairs (not shown). All the images are taken from ASUS2. The HDD, the folder and the files are all contained within the ASUS2 machine. Any other information I should supply?

It just goes to show you, it's always something. If it's not one thing it's another!
_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:41 am 
Fearless Leader

Hate to say this, Terry, but I think you've supplied way too much information. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but that's a heck of a lot of information about your machine, file paths, etc. I'm not sure I would leave it up.

The only thing I can suggest is Take Ownership. Do you have that little marvel of a program?

This is a video you created, correct? Not a movie download?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:11 am 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Hate to say this, Terry, but I think you've supplied way too much information. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but that's a heck of a lot of information about your machine, file paths, etc. I'm not sure I would leave it up.

The only thing I can suggest is Take Ownership. Do you have that little marvel of a program?

This is a video you created, correct? Not a movie download?

Patty
1. How is someone going to get into my network past the router?
2. I just wanted to show you that all my permissions are the same on each item.
3. These are commercial movies that I bought and transferred to an internal drive. I then play them them with PowerDVD
4. I have taken ownership using Windows Explorer Properties. Is there another way to get permissions?

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:59 am 
Fearless Leader

Yes. It's a little utility called Take Ownership. Jay may have a link to it or you can search for it. It's awesome, been around for many, many years.

Will someone get into your network? I don't know - but if they did, they'd sure know how to navigate your system.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:05 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Patty. I did a search and found this. Is it the same program you're talking about? Hopefully Jay will jump in with a comment.

Take Ownership Shell Extension

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:11 am 
welcoming committee

I got it here
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/384 ... -10-a.html
or get it here also
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... -in-vista/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:42 am 

Or also here.
http://jaylach.com/downloads
I've been using this tool for years. One thing to note is that it will not work by right clicking on a drive icon only when right clicking a file or folder.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:46 am 
Fearless Leader

I think it is the same program, Terry. I'd use Jay's own download link though, given a choice. ;)

I think it is likely you can't change the file properties because, in fact, it isn't your file. It's a downloaded movie file. Not sure if Take Ownership will be able to fix that.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 am 

The movies are not downloaded Patty. Terry rips movies from owned DVD's.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:28 pm 
Fearless Leader

Jay, the file, nonetheless, is a commercial source and may not really "belong" to Terry. (According to Windows, or whatever.) I know you are a pro at ripping commercial DVDs, but I have never had any success here whatsoever. So some DVDs are certain to have odd copy protections on them.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:40 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Jay, the file, nonetheless, is a commercial source and may not really "belong" to Terry. (According to Windows, or whatever.) I know you are a pro at ripping commercial DVDs, but I have never had any success here whatsoever. So some DVDs are certain to have odd copy protections on them.

I have a special software that removes the copyright protections. This allows me to place them on an internal hard drive and play them. I save wear and tear on my movie disks. The software may not remove all the meta data protection. That's what the Details Tags are comprised of.

I tried Take Ownership and that didn't work. There must be something else but if not it's no big deal.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:49 pm 

MacDuffie wrote:

This is true Patty. One thing that they do is to make a DVD but use a Blu-ray file structure. These will throw me. I do well at ripping but still only have ~90-95% success. LOL! Let me know if you want to end that situation of never having any success at all. :) I'd be happy to let you know what software to use and how. DO keep in mind that this would be to make a DVD format copy, not to convert to a diffrent video format. Also keep in mind that what I use is strictly for DVD's, not Blu-ray.

A difference between what Terry and I do is that he converts to MKV, I believe, while I maintain the DVD structure. I've never actually figured out if it is actually necessary for the legit archival copy but believe that it may be that it is supposed to be in the same format so I play it safe. Also I often want to have the special features and such.

Terry, you might try processing one of the problem videos to a different drive. I have had cases where I could not archive directly to my media drive but had to process to my data or system drive and then move to my media drive. Sometimes drive permissions can be a bit quirky and even though they look the same between drives they will not act exactly the same. I have found this to be especially true if the system has been upgraded from one version of Windows to another.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:51 am 
welcoming committee

Jay it had nothing to do with the HDD. Something in the ripping/converting process didn't open access to modifying the metadata of the movie file. I can't explain why. I did find a software that allows me to change the movie title when needed. There was also a way to rename the movie with the correct title before the start of the ripping/converting process.

_Rosanne Rosannadanna

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:27 pm 
Fearless Leader

Did this occur after installation of that new video-related program that might be the source of the other problem you are having?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » What is it & How do I do things?