Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing

Post subject: New mouse/keyboard
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
New keyboard/mouse showed up today and I LOVE the thing already! Sadly I have never actually had a really decent keyboard as I've always just gotten cheap standard units. This time I decided to spend a little money and get something decent. I spent ~$67.00 for the combo but think that I will find it worth the cost. Of course many may find this combo lacking remember that I am used to mice and keyboards that tend to cost $10.00 to $20.00. It is sort of a hybrid ergonomic keyboard as it does have some curve but not a lot. I don't really like fully ergonomic boards. This one has just enough of a curve that I don't have to adjust position in any way when I'm sitting here with my elbows on my knees.

There are some features that I will need to research. The main one is that the keyboard has a power button for the actual PC. If I tap it when the system is on the system is 'off' within 2 seconds. Tap it again and I'm at the log on screen within 3 seconds. When I say 'off' I mean that the power light and drive light are turned off. Of course this is not actually possible as to the system actually being shut down and started. It is even too quick for going to sleep mode. If I can figure out what is actually happening I will report back with results.

Here is what I got...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-text-_-
LOL! I've never had a keyboard or mouse that I needed to go to the support site to get instructions. I'm about to head there next. ;)

Overall initial impression is that I'm really going to like this combo. The mouse is larger than what I'm used to using and has a plus-minus type button setup on the left side that I don't yet understand. The keyboard keys are wonderful although there are many dedicated 'function' type keys that I will have to figure out.

WHOA!!!!! I think that I just found what the left side 'up/down' type button does. At least by default it seems to be a back/forward switch. I am adding this by using this switch on the mouse after already posting the above. The 'back side' of the buttons took back to the post editing page with all content intact. I have added this test that that initial edit page. If you see this last paragraph the thing works. ;)

Post subject: Re: New mouse/keyboard
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 pm 

This thing is a total trip! I've figured out a few things that had me puzzled.

1) The power button on the keyboard for the PC is apparently a sleep mode function although it could be hibernate. I figure sleep just due to the speed. I just can't see hibernate closing and opening the system in a couple of seconds. I find it hard to figure even sleep being accomplished in 1-2 seconds down and 2-3 seconds up. Still it has to be one of the two as I used the power off with an app open and then powered on and the app was still open and running.

2) The side buttons on the mouse are back/forward in a browser but can be made to do just about anything. Might be interesting to see what I can use it for in Diablo III as I can set mouse and keyboard function buttons on a per app basis. In other words I can have a button do one thing in a specific app and a totally different function in another app.

LOL! I've already messed up some things. For instance the music button USED to open Media Player which I prefer. Sigh, I had to go and play... It now opens Groove Music. I'll just have to re-assign the key. Actually I'm not quite sure if I caused this or if it was the software update I did.

Anyway I'm having fun. As odd as it may seem I've never had a keyboard/mouse combo that comes close to what this seems to be able to do. :)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 am 

I guess this is turning into an experience type review of this keyboard/mouse...

So far I can do nothing but recommend this combo. I have just found that by default it is quite intuitive. In this case let's take the 'scroll wheel' on the mouse. If I am in a web browser the wheel is a scroll wheel but, if in a media player the wheel becomes a volume control. I did nothing to set up this. It just does the intuitive as a default.

So far I can say nothing but awesome! :)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:43 am 
welcoming committee

But do the keys light up for nighttime usage? And does it play Janis Joplin music in the background?

If it does neither of these, you might consider returning it.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:11 am 

:rofl2:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 pm 
welcoming committee

I am getting a kick out of this. I have been at the other end of the spectrum. 6 years ago I bought 3 Avant Stellar keyboards. The company bought out the rights to the old Northgate keyboards. Superb mechanical keyboards with the double F keys etc. Buggers were $150 a piece. They were are jewels to type on. Two have quit. There is an outfit that repairs them but it's pricey and no guarantees so I just did a replacement.

Ended up buying a mechanical keyboard with lit color keys.

https://www.amazon.com/Pictek-Anti-ghos ... l+keyboard

You need the manual incase you forget the settings. I found the colored lit keys are handy in low light. It was also a education trip. Turns out most the mechanical keyboards use cherry switches and the switches come in blue, red, and brown. The colors refer to how much pressure and how clicky they are. Turned out to be a good buy for the price.

For mice I use the logitech gaming mice. They are a good size to fit the hand, solid in terms of weight and have plenty of adjustments if you want that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:41 pm 

WOW Peter! The lights on that keyboard would either be really cool or a total distraction. Since you like I assume that the lights are on the cool side. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Funny thing about that is reviews said you couldn't turn them off, but by the time I found I could, I'd gotten used to them and they are s till on

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 pm 

Actually I never really answered BB's question as to if mine was lit and played Joplin. The answer to both is yes under certain conditions. It is lit if I turn on the light on my end table. It can play Janis Joplin (along with many other artists) if I use it to open Media Player. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 am 
welcoming committee

Well, Pete wins! Wiki.ezvid.com ranked the top 10 backlit keyboards. Pete's Piktek came in first place. My Logitech k740 came in third place. Jay's MK550 keyboard wasn't ranked because it isn't backlit (end-table lamps don't count) and it doesn't directly play Janis Joplin.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:51 pm 
welcoming committee

Well that's cool. It is a fantastic keyboard for the price as long as understand you are getting a clicky keyboard. I love it

Board index » Technical Forums » General Computing