Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi All, I wasn't sure how to explain this but it seems that this started with the previous Windows version, before 10. I use a Microsoft laptop mouse (smaller) and in I believe all programs email especially when I pause to think how I want to continue typing a sentence, the cursor will jump to another place on the page. Sometimes I don't notice right away and I'm injecting the remainder of my thought somewhere else on the page. Not necessarily at the end of that section but even in the middle of a word.
Has anyone heard of this phenomenon and could this be due to this specific mouse? I notice typing this right now the cursor only moved somewhere else once. Sometimes this happens multiple times in an email.
Any thoughts are most welcome!!!
katy ;)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 pm 
Site Admin

Is this using a laptop that also has a touchpad? If so, is the touchpad active?
If not, is this a wired or wireless mouse? What kind of surface are you using it on? What sensitivity level does it track at -- fast, meaning slight movement of the mouse equates to lots of screen travel, or slow, which means you need to move the mouse quite a bit for a small amount of screen travel?
-steve

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:58 pm 
Fearless Leader

I have seen this exact same behavior. It was a few years ago, and I don't recall what the cause was. It may come to me. But in addition to what Steve said, I would give your mouse a good cleaning with compressed air, and also scrape off any of the gunk that accumulates on the "feet" of these things.

Poke around the Accessibility settings, now Ease of Access. I think there may have been something in those settings that got turned on accidentally. There's one setting that makes the window you are hovering over the active window. If something occurs that takes focus from your window that you are typing in, the typing window may not be the active window for a short period of time. Then, because you are essentially hovering over the window, it may then suddenly become active again. When that occurs, the mouse pointer may choose the center of the window by default. Can you follow that? It's a bit complicated to explain, especially if you're not sure what focus means or the active window. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:23 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Since this started before you upgraded the system to Windows 10 I doubt that it is a driver issue but I'd still check the maker's site to see if there are drivers/software specific to Windows 10.

You say that it is a laptop mouse but don't say if it is actually a laptop or desktop system. If a laptop the touchpad may be involved.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 am 
welcoming committee

I've seen this, and if cleaning it and using a mouse pad doesn't clear it up, it's time for a new mouse.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:03 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
Is this using a laptop that also has a touchpad? If so, is the touchpad active? I thought I disabled that a while back but now I see it's unchecked. would a windows or mouse update uncheck that? Either way, I'll check it again and see if that helps. Good Point!!!
If not, is this a wired or wireless mouse? [color=#FF0040]It's unwired. [/color] What kind of surface are you using it on? Sofa arm lol. What sensitivity level does it track at -- fast, meaning slight movement of the mouse equates to lots of screen travel, or slow, which means you need to move the mouse quite a bit for a small amount of screen travel? Ohhhh, I didn't know that is how it's perceived. I set mine at just a little beyond mid point of slow ---- fast.
These are all good points and now I'll wait to see if checking the disable internal mouse will fix this. If not I'll slow down the speed of the mouse. Thank you so much Steve!! Will keep you posted.

-steve

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Manny Carvalho wrote:
I've seen this, and if cleaning it and using a mouse pad doesn't clear it up, it's time for a new mouse.
Thanks Manny, we'll see how the changes above make any difference. I didn't see where to clean the mouse can be done; it used to be easier when mice used the ball but will see if the changes make a positive difference. Thanks Manny!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Since this started before you upgraded the system to Windows 10 I doubt that it is a driver issue but I'd still check the maker's site to see if there are drivers/software specific to Windows 10.

You say that it is a laptop mouse but don't say if it is actually a laptop or desktop system. If a laptop the touchpad may be involved.

Thanks Jay! my mouse is a Logitech M325, small. So sorry my Subject says Microsoft, now it's Logitech but not really sure if it's a laptop mouse. The Microsoft mouse I used before this one was considered a laptop mouse and this bouncing cursor happened with that mouse too, forgot to mention this earlier, that's why I switched to this logitech. Will give this checking the box to disable onboard touchpad helps in other programs like my old Outlook. Thanks for your help Jay!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
I have seen this exact same behavior. It was a few years ago, and I don't recall what the cause was. It may come to me. But in addition to what Steve said, I would give your mouse a good cleaning with compressed air, and also scrape off any of the gunk that accumulates on the "feet" of these things.

Poke around the Accessibility settings, now Ease of Access. I think there may have been something in those settings that got turned on accidentally. There's one setting that makes the window you are hovering over the active window. If something occurs that takes focus from your window that you are typing in, the typing window may not be the active window for a short period of time. Then, because you are essentially hovering over the window, it may then suddenly become active again. When that occurs, the mouse pointer may choose the center of the window by default. Can you follow that? It's a bit complicated to explain, especially if you're not sure what focus means or the active window. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Thanks Patty, this does make sense. ;) I haven't checked accessibility settings yet. I'll take a look at it while I'm waiting to see if checking the disable onboard touchpad works. It's worth a try to see if there is something in Accessibility that could be closely related. It does makes sense but a lot of time the cursor is on the same page, same spot where I paused to think so it's probably not a hovering over something else at least in emails. In some cases it could be relevant. Will keep all posted. Thanks so much Patty!!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:50 pm 
welcoming committee

katy98 wrote:
Manny Carvalho wrote:
Thanks Manny, we'll see how the changes above make any difference. I didn't see where to clean the mouse can be done; it used to be easier when mice used the ball but will see if the changes make a positive difference. Thanks Manny!

Manny I did find online what areas to clean with the Q tip and rubbing alcohol so that is done now. It never 'looked' dirty so thanks for reminding me. :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm 
welcoming committee

I couldn't wait, had to tell ya, the cursor is not jumping all over the place anymore! :) This sure makes life easier for me. It looks like checking the box to disable the internal mouse did the trick. Thanks so much everyone for all the help. And hope this helps someone else who reads this & all the wonderful replies and has the same prob. Take care ALL!! katy ;) PS: I'm also going to post another question on Adobe Acrobat. Taxation frustration :(.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:05 pm 
Fearless Leader

Glad you are excited, Katy - do you think you could make your answer clearer for us knuckleheads in the crowd? LOL

What do you mean by disabling the internal mouse? Are you referring to the touchpad?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Glad you are excited, Katy - do you think you could make your answer clearer for us knuckleheads in the crowd? LOL

What do you mean by disabling the internal mouse? Are you referring to the touchpad?

Oh my yes I do mean the touchpad. I thought I disabled the touchpad long time ago but maybe that was undone with an touchpad update. Thanks for clearing this up. Other people were likely wondering too, what is an internal mouse? :(

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 pm 
Fearless Leader

LOL Very good. :)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to read that all is well! Yes, those touchpads can be touchy (grin) when you are typing -- they can be quite sensitive. If you don't use it, disabling is the way to go. I'm a mouse user, too -- I don't care for trackpads/touchpads generally. They do come in handy when you are using a laptop on your lap, though, since there's nowhere to run the mouse...

-steve

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:12 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I hate touch pads! I like the setup on my Asus laptop. In the BIOS I set the touch pad to disabled if mouse is connected but enabled if there is no mouse. I get the best of both worlds. With the mouse connected no touch pad. If I go somewhere and forget the mouse I just pull the USB dongle and the touch pad is available. I think I MAY have to restart but can't remember for sure.

Another thing I don't like is the Caps Lock key. It should be way off in the corner someplace, not right above the Shift key. That is one of the things I like about the new keyboard I got for my main system; in the keyboard settings I can (and did) disable the Caps Lock key. I have a registry hack that does this for Windows 7 but have never tracked down the registry key in Windows 10. I should probably do that one of these days...

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows