Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:52 am 
welcoming committee

I was using WOT in Win 10 on HP laptop but have Win 7 on my Dell and need to download one of these programs. Any suggestions on which is better and will work better on Win 7? TIA to all.... katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

I recommend neither -- I won't let any McAfee product on my PCs. WOT if you must, but I recommend that you simply turn on SmartScreen in Internet Explorer.

-steve

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:43 pm 
welcoming committee

Is there a simple way to find this and turn it on? I have IE 11.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:37 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I agree with Steve about not having McAfee... LOL! I think we also know by now that I feel even stroger about Norton... :mrgreen:

To turn SmartScreen on or off:
1) Go to your Control Panel and select "Internet Options'.
2) Go to the 'Advanced' tab.
3) Scroll down to the 'Security' section.
4) Look for 'Enable Windows Defender SmartScreen'.
5) Make sure that the checkbox to enable is checked and then 'Apply' and 'OK' your way out.
6) Look at 5) but uncheck the checkbox to turn SmartScreen off.

You can also do the above from within Internet Explorer 11 without going to your Control Panel by Opening IE11 and selecting 'Tools' then 'Internet Options'.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:04 pm 
welcoming committee

I so agree about Norton. I could not find Windows Defender Smartscreen at that location so went into Security/Custom Level (I have it at Medium/high) but all I could find there relating to Smartscreen was Use Smartscreen filter and that was set to enable. Would that be enough or the same thing? Also from Tools there is a link to Smartscreen filter and that seems to be enabled too as there is just the option to turn off Smartscreen filter.

I don't know how one knows when Smartscreen is working? like with WOT there are green red or orange dots on the search page with links.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:20 pm 

Sorry! :( I gave directions from within Windows 10. I forgot that we are talking Windows 7. While Windows 7 does have Defender it is not anti-virus as is Defender in Windows 10. That is why you were not able to follow my instructions.

Your find as to SmartScreen filter being enabled should suffice. As long as it is enabled you should get a prompt if it detects a site as being questionable. As with all such filters you will run into a few false positives now and then. If you are absolutely positive that the site is actually safe you can bypass SmartScreen and continue on to the site and SmartScreen will still stay active. PLEASE, do not over ride SmartScrteen's recommendation unless you are absolutely positive it is a false positive.

Sigh, in my last post I resisted but cannot this time... I also recommend that you use MBAM Pro which has 'real time protection'. For the cost of $25.00/year it is awesome and works just fine along side of most anti virus software. MBAM Pro 'looks' at the code of a site you visit before allowing it to load. If it finds anything malicious it will automatically block the site and not allow it to load. This feature is only available in the paid version, not the free version.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:38 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for the Smartscreen info, I'll consider its working ;). And also thanks SO much for the info about MBAM Pro. I'd not heard of this one and agree at a cost of $25 a yr I'll definitely take advantage of it. As with everything new or in this case Win 7 I didn't know Defender in 7 was not like Win 10 so this info is MOST helpful. Thanks SO much Jay and Steve for all the help!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 am 
welcoming committee

Heh, looks like we agree on McAfee and Norton.

Anyway, MyWot had a privacy controversy recently. Mozilla actually disabled MyWot on my Firefox and removed MyWot from their Extensions. Then MyWot put out a statement that they were fixing the issue and Mozilla again has it in their Extensions.

During the few months that I was not using MyWot I must admit I missed it. My favorite feature is how when doing a Google search that it rates every website that comes up in your search. Yes, it is only their opinion, but still I avoid the websites with red circles. I know that I would probably be safe anyway always surfing inside of Sandboxie and using the NoScript extension on my Firefox but you know me, I do love my "layers". Also, I do not want to patronize any "bad guy" websites. :gunner:
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:

Sigh, in my last post I resisted but cannot this time... I also recommend that you use MBAM Pro which has 'real time protection'. For the cost of $25.00/year it is awesome and works just fine along side of most anti virus software. MBAM Pro 'looks' at the code of a site you visit before allowing it to load. If it finds anything malicious it will automatically block the site and not allow it to load. This feature is only available in the paid version, not the free version.

Just checked out this MBAM Pro and I didn't realize it was Malwarebytes' program. I use the free version of Malwarebytes so this is even better that purchasing the Pro I'd be getting real time protection AND an AV and a great malware program. Thanks again Jay!

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:46 pm 

I'll agree with the others about Malwarebytes, I run the Pro version have done for years. It's now up to version 3 and I know there were problems with this version at first but I've been quite happy with it, mind you I'm running on Windows 10. Don't have any machines here older than 10 nowadays but I've been happy with Malwarebytes through several versions of the operating systems it's well worth the fee. :-)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:38 am 
welcoming committee

Thanks Jay, Acadia and Joan! I liked WOT because of the symbols and I know it was a culmination of users experience. I might just keep it along with MBAM Pro if I get it. I checked on Malwarebytes website and chose chat but I didn't have time for the lengthy process. But it seems it's replaced with Malwarebytes 3 so instead of $25 its $40 but I didn't see that it had AV https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/ so I need to think about this more. The chat person said the MBAM was the old version so maybe they removed AV.

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:23 pm 

MBAM has never really been AV but rather anti Malware. I run it with Security Essentials on Windows 7 and Defender on Windows 10.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:42 pm 
welcoming committee

Sorry Jay, I see you DID say that in the original post but I just did not read it well. Thanks so much for all suggestions and help!!! I very much appreciate everything! :)

- Barbara Corcoran

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email