Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Security

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:08 pm 
welcoming committee

If I'm not mistaken i read a while back on here a lot of discussion and debate about whether Malwarebytes 3.0 delivered what it said it could... e.g. the Anti-ransomware portion may cause problems with backups so for the time being it was best avoided etc.

It's more than likely i missed the conclusion to those discussions as things do tend to drift off-topic here... that's not a complaint btw ;)

That said, events in the world of ransomware have apparently moved on substantially to the point that I'm now actively seeking software in the hope it will at least give me a chance of catching and stopping it before it takes over my PC.

Malwarebytes are making some bold statements on their website to the point that i installed MBAM 3.0 and activated the 14 day trial:

Quote:
Protects your files from being locked and held for ransom

Stops unknown and known ransomware with proprietary next-gen technology that works proactively to shield your files. This is a powerful, comprehensive defense that blocks ransomware, and not a simple decryption tool. So you’re protected from tomorrow’s “Ransomware Attack!” headlines today.
Source: https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

Whilst I've been impressed with the overall feel and speed at which MBAM 3.0 runs with all its bells and whistles enabled... to the point that i was inputing my card details to buy a license...

...I'm pausing to ask, on the effectiveness on it's anti-ransomware claim alone, is MBAM even close to capable of what it claims above?

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:05 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm running it without seeing any issues.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:25 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Doddie

First question I would ask is what else are you using to protect your system. The problem with any anti ransomware solution is when antiransomware software detects a real problem, it means you are already infected. At that point for me the only solution is an image restore. Again for me the only approach is to make sure it doesn't get on your system in the first place. That is possible but takes being alert to where you click, and what email you open. Also there are software solutions, but they aren't the typical AV type solutions.

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:28 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
The problem with any anti ransomware solution is when antiransomware software detects a real problem, it means you are already infected. At that point for me the only solution is an image restore. Again for me the only approach is to make sure it doesn't get on your system in the first place...

Thanks Peter, i suspected the claim by Malwarebytes that their antimalware solution was a "comprehensive defense that blocks ransomware" might be a tad optimistic.

That said, I've been so impressed with the negligible impact that having MBAM 3 running in the background has on my PC that I'm going to go ahead and purchase a licence anyway (not that the MBAM 3 predecessors were bad, i just didn't feel the need for the real-time scanning function until recently).

Fwiw, Windows 7 Pro, Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, Spywareblaster (not entirely sure how effective this is anymore but it's still occasionally updated and plays nice so i keep it), Adguard (not strictly a security product, an ad blocker, but it does use a filter that blocks malicious ads and websites), previously MBAM 2 free version - weekly manual full scans... now MBAM 3 Premium.
Oh, and safe hex ;)
http://www.techsupportalert.com/safe-he ... ctices.htm <-- desperately in need of an update but the principles remain the same.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:51 am 
welcoming committee

MBAM 3 Premium does do a decent job. The big conflict they have is their Marketing says it's a replacement for other AV's, but in theh forum they suggest using it on top of other AV's. I think the forum folks have it right.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:36 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
MBAM 3 Premium does do a decent job. The big conflict they have is their Marketing says it's a replacement for other AV's, but in theh forum they suggest using it on top of other AV's. I think the forum folks have it right.

Pete, I'm still running the paid version of MBAM 2.2.1, and I never received a notice for a free upgrade to 3.0. How do I do that, and will an upgrade recognize my current license that is still valid for 200 days?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm 

I don't know if my having a lifetime license for MBAM makes a difference but my upgrade from 2.x to 3.x had no affect.

I'm surprised that it has not automatically updated to 3.x on your system. On my systems it was automatic. Under Settings then Update Settings do you have it enabled to 'Check for program updates when checking for database updates.'? Of course I'm looking at the settings on my system running 3.x so can't be positive that the same setting is available in 2.x.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, yes 'Check for program updates when checking for database updates' is checked. And I just did a database update, but it did not update the program. If I go to their website, I have the choice of Free Download or Buy Now. I was afraid if I clicked on Free Download that it would negate the premium version that I am paying for. I hate it when software doesn't make itself clear.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 pm 

Pete may know for sure but I expect that your current license would work. Sorry but I just can't say for fact. You could always contact their support and ask. I've never used their support so can't say how quickly they respond. I assume that you have your product key available...

Since you have the program updates enabled I'm surprised it has not happened automatically. I don't think so but mayhaps I remember wrong and upgraded manually.

LOL! You could always download the trial and then enter your product key. If it doesn't work... restore a system image. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:46 pm 
welcoming committee

OK, I'll wait until in the morning to see if Pete answers. If not, I'll try MBAM support and/or forums. I'm not willing to do a restore for this, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:48 am 
welcoming committee

Try doing an update with in Mbam. If that fails, then try downloading the new full version and if it doesn't recognize your license then re enter it. Your license for 2 should be good for 3. If all else fails, contact support.

Pete

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 am 
welcoming committee

Pete, update within MBAM doesn't update the program.....only updates the database. My download choices at the MBAM website are 'Free Download' or 'Buy Now'. Which do you recommend?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:28 am 
welcoming committee

Neither. Download the latest 3.12 from the website. It will be the "free" version. Then in your v2 setup, go to the account setting and you should be able to uninstall your license making it the free version. Then uninstall v2 and install what you downloaded. Re enter your license and it should take. If it doesn't you will need to contact support.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:58 am 
welcoming committee

Yes, your version 2 license will work for version 3. It took a long time for mine to update also, then one day it suddenly worked. :dunno:
Acadia

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Neither. Download the latest 3.12 from the website. It will be the "free" version. Then in your v2 setup, go to the account setting and you should be able to uninstall your license making it the free version. Then uninstall v2 and install what you downloaded. Re enter your license and it should take. If it doesn't you will need to contact support.

Pete, as it turns out I didn't have to do any of that. MBAM tech support gave me the website for the MB 3 installer......I ran that and it took care of everything. And like you said, my current license carried over and is valid for 199 days. Thanks.....

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi BB

It took them some time to recover from the immature release of MB3, but I think they now have their act together. Glad it has worked out.

Pete

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 pm 
welcoming committee

I thought I'd bring every one up to date on the ransomware part of MB3. I am doing this as a result of a 2nd review video posted on Malwaretips forum. The tester was wanting to see how good the anti ransom module was by itself. The tester did it the same way I have done, namely no other security software and turning of the other modules of the program. The result was about 50 50 ie not that great. The last time I did some testing and reported the results to the development folks, I basically got double talk. Basically at that point I lost faith and took MB3 off my systems.

Don't get me wrong. The whole package does a decent job, the anti ransom module by itself, isn't that strong.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:22 pm 

Hey Pete, you ended up with two of the posts just above this. Hope that you don't mind but I deleted the duplicate after making sure that they were the same word for word.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:44 pm 
welcoming committee

Hi Jay

Thanks. Not sure how I managed that.

Pete

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:14 pm 

Once in a while it happens. Not really sure if it is a quirk in the software or a double click on the submit button by mistake.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:55 pm 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
I thought I'd bring every one up to date on the ransomware part of MB3. I am doing this as a result of a 2nd review video posted on Malwaretips forum. The tester was wanting to see how good the anti ransom module was by itself. The tester did it the same way I have done, namely no other security software and turning of the other modules of the program. The result was about 50 50 ie not that great. The last time I did some testing and reported the results to the development folks, I basically got double talk. Basically at that point I lost faith and took MB3 off my systems.

Don't get me wrong. The whole package does a decent job, the anti ransom module by itself, isn't that strong.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the update, your thoughts on how MBAM3 performs is much appreciated by me... I'm curious though, you say the ransomware element on it's own rated about 50/50 but the package as a whole does a decent job... assuming your 50/50 was based on ransomware caught/missed, where would you rate the package as a whole on that example... e.g. 60/40, 70/30 etc.?

Fwiw, even the 50/50 rate if i turned off all the other bells and whistles within MBAM it's still surely better than the zero chance i had this time last weekend?
[Assuming that is, that your result was based on a fully updated OS & 3rd party software? ...I know, but i had to ask ;) ]

Regards.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:26 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie, my opinion but I don't know nearly as much as Peter. In my thinking Malwarebytes is another excellent layer of protection. Yes, it is not perfect, but layered on top of all your other layers, NONE OF WHICH ARE PERFECT, it is a welcome net to catch stuff falling thru the other nets.

One of the neatest things for me about Malwarebytes is that it plays so nicely with so many other security programs. Again, it is not perfect, but find me another SECURITY program that plays so well with so many others. Again, just my opinion and Peter really does torture test these programs, me, I just install them. :moose1:
Acadia

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:37 pm 
welcoming committee

I agree with every word you say Acadia :)

That said, until recently i couldn't justify to myself the £39.99 one off cost that Malwarebytes are asking for the (2 licence) software... however, with the recent outbreaks of ransomware seemingly running wild (even though it seems not to be targeting home users) i felt i really should try and find something that *might* protect me from a ransomware attack should it happen.

There's no guarantee MBAM will stop anything should i 'get targeted' but at least for now I've bought myself a year of potential "security" until someone finds a better real-time defence... given the advances in the past few months, i have no doubt someone somewhere will.

Fwiw, i hear you all loud and clear about backups and such like, but i really don't have the time or inclination to go down most of the routes suggested here... sandboxie etc.

I have everything that i hold dear to me backed up on cd/dvd and/or on 3rd party websites should i get locked out of my PC so I'm not going to lose anything... except patience and a sense of humour trying to restore everything that's not held locally ;)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:30 pm 
welcoming committee

This has been an interesting thread with ups and downs but I think I'd like to activate MBAM for 2 PCs for 1 yr for now.

My question is, how would I install both licenses on 2 different laptops? I've read through the pdf on MBAM's website and ran the question through bing but couldn't find how I'd do this. I hope I don't need to have a network set up for just 2 laptops.

Could someone let me know how its done so I can be prepared? TIA for all the help!! katy

- Barbara Corcoran

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:02 pm 

It has been so long I can't remember for sure but I believe, if you open MBAM free, there will be an option to upgrade in the top navigation. If not there, probably under the help tab. Select the upgrade option and it will request a product key which you would enter.

You will receive two product keys via an email. You would enter one of the keys on each system.

If you have the money you might consider going with a two year license. In the long run it will save you money.

Board index » Technical Forums » Security