Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:09 pm 
welcoming committee

As mentioned in another thread, my friend's laptop is stuck on version 1607 of Win 10 Home. For the past many months his computer failed numerous times to install these two updates: KB4049411 and KB4033631. I have tried every solution that Microsoft recommended, e.g., Troubleshooter, Stop/Start Windows Update Service, Deleting SoftwareDistribution folders/files, DISM, clean boot, etc. Nothing has allowed further updates.

So now I am wanting to Reset his laptop with the option to save all his data files. As a precautionary measure, I have also backed up all his data files to a USB flashdrive. The only thing I am uncertain of are his Gmail settings, old emails, and storage folders, as I am not a user of Gmail.

So I would appreciate it if someone would tell me how to do this....backup his Gmail stuff to either a flashdrive or an external hard drive. Thanks in advance......

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:28 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I'm not sure that I understand the question, BB. Unless your friend is accessing Gmail through an email client, such as Outlook, Gmail isn't even on the system but is, rather, a web site. The settings and emails are on the Gmail servers.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I'm not sure that I understand the question, BB. Unless your friend is accessing Gmail through an email client, such as Outlook, Gmail isn't even on the system but is, rather, a web site. The settings and emails are on the Gmail servers.

OK, then how do I save all his current emails and folders from the Gmail servers to my flashdrive or external drive? Or maybe you are saying that after I do the computer Reset, I can click on the Gmail website and all his email and folders will still be there? I hope it's that easy :mrgreen:

If I click on his email account now, I see some emails still in his Inbox. But more importantly, I see many old emails that he has saved in named folders (down the column on left). The old emails and named folders is what I want to make sure he doesn't lose.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:06 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
As long as you are going to gmail.com to see the emails they will still be there. If using an email client such as Outlook it depends on how that client is set up.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:45 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
As long as you are going to gmail.com to see the emails they will still be there. If using an email client such as Outlook it depends on how that client is set up.

He is not using Outlook. If I click on his Google Chrome desktop icon, it takes me to his emails. If I then look at the URL, this is what it says: mail.google.com/...

So I guess this means that his emails will always be there.

Thanks......

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm 
welcoming committee

Can't help with your Gmail question but before you go nuclear have you tried the following Microsoft link, afaict it was updated today so may still help?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ate-errors

Quote:
Fix Windows Update issues

Content provided by Microsoft

Applies to: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7

What does this guided walk-through do?

This guided walk-through provides steps to fix problems with Windows Updates, such as taking a long time to scan, or error codes while installing updates.

Common error codes

The steps in this guided walk-through should help with all Windows Update errors and other issues. As an example, here are some commonly seen error codes: 0x80073712, 0x800705B4, 0x80004005, 0x8024402F, 0x80070002, 0x80070643, 0x80070003, 0x8024200B, 0x80070422, 0x80070020. However, you do not need to search for the specific error to solve it. The steps provided here should fix any errors that come up during the Windows Update process.

How does it work?

We’ll walk you through a series of troubleshooting steps to get your Windows up to date. Be sure to follow the steps in order.

Last Updated: Mar 8, 2018

It appears you are not alone, good luck.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 pm 
welcoming committee

@ Doddie - Thanks for the guided walk-thru website. Sad to say, I've been down that road twice and the update problem was not solved. When I first came across the guide, I was ecstatic, but it was not meant to be. I've documented many pages of all the recommended solutions and fixes that I've tried, but the problem has persisted. I was hoping that the Sysnative website recommended by Corrine was going to help solve my problem, as they have one forum dedicated solely to Windows Upgrade issues. I posted to that forum two days ago.....I followed all their instructions and attached all the files they wanted to see, but I have yet to hear from them.

Anyway, it's not like I haven't tried to fix my friends laptop, but nuclear may be the only way to go.

Again, thanks for the post.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:58 pm 
welcoming committee

@bbarry, i kind of thought you might have tried it but thought I'd throw it into to mix just in case you hadn't.

As an aside, i skipped through the various questions (for Win10 & Win7) answering 'no the issue was not resolved' to each one just to see what the steps were....

I've had issues before with Win7 updating in the past, i'd never heard of renaming the catroot2 folder before so that's something i'll consider in future if all else should fail for me... your woe is potentially my gain! LOL ;)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:10 pm 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
@bbarry, i kind of thought you might have tried it but thought I'd throw it into to mix just in case you hadn't.

As an aside, i skipped through the various questions (for Win10 & Win7) answering 'no the issue was not resolved' to each one just to see what the steps were....

I've had issues before with Win7 updating in the past, i'd never heard of renaming the catroot2 folder before so that's something i'll consider in future if all else should fail for me... your woe is potentially my gain! LOL ;)

Glad I could help someone! :mrgreen: Also glad to say that my woe ended today, as I gave up trying to fix my friend's old computer and talked him into purchasing a new laptop. BTW, in an older posting you asked who "BB" was that Jay and others referred to. That would be me....Jay gave me that moniker sometime in the past.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:28 pm 
welcoming committee

bbarry wrote:
BTW, in an older posting you asked who "BB" was that Jay and others referred to. That would be me....Jay gave me that moniker sometime in the past.

Some things are apparently blindingly obvious, apparently I'm blind to the obvious!

Nice to meet you BB :lol:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 am 
welcoming committee

Doddie wrote:
Nice to meet you BB :lol:

Back at you Doddie.... :shake:

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email