Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:47 am 
welcoming committee

A couple of years ago I tried unsuccessfully to transfer my BS List from an old Win 7 computer to my new Win 10 computer. Jay and Steve convinced me that a BS List was pretty-much useless since spanners frequently changed their address and/or domain. So at that point I dropped the project.

However, yesterday I was browsing around in my WLM 2012 email client and noticed that my BS List had 100+ entries, none of which did I manually enter.

So my question is.....how did my BS List get so populated? When I receive an email and direct it to my Junk Email folder, does the sender automatically get added to the BS List? Or when WLM filters and moves an email to my Junk Email folder, does the sender get added to the BS List?

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

bbarry wrote:
So my question is.....how did my BS List get so populated? When I receive an email and direct it to my Junk Email folder, does the sender automatically get added to the BS List? Or when WLM filters and moves an email to my Junk Email folder, does the sender get added to the BS List?

I believe that it is the former.
-steve

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks, Steve. I still get considerable junk mail, so I will test your theory next time and report back. I just haven't been paying much attention to my BS List lately, so I was surprised to see how many entries there were.

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:09 am 
Site Admin

I don't pay attention to the list either. :-) Do let us know what you observe.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
bbarry wrote:

I believe that it is the former.
-steve

Steve, I'm just reporting back. Neither event added the sender to my BS List, so I don't know how/why the List is becoming so populated. But I'm not going to worry about it....I was just curious.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

As I mentioned, I really hadn't paid much attention to the blocked sender list. I knew, as you did, that you have the option to add an address to the blocked sender list manually. I no longer use Windows Live Mail, but I believe you also have the option to add to the list by selecting that as an option when marking a message as junk -- this is available in Outlook 2016. What I don't know is if the option in Outlook also updates the server based list at Outlook.com that would be visible to you in Windows Live Mail and on Outlook.com.

In my brief research this evening, I agree that the list is only updated manually, never automatically. So, the fact that your list appears to have addresses you don't recall blocking is quite mysterious.

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Are you sure Steve? In Outlook there is the 'Junk' option to 'Block Sender'. It has been ages but does not Live Mail have the same option? It would seem to me that selecting to block sender would have to add that email to the block list.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:45 am 
Site Admin

I believe that the option does/did exist in WLM, too. Using that option would potentially add the sender to the blocked sender list -- manually. What I meant by automatic, was that anything filtered as junk by WLM due to junk filter rules managed by Microsoft would not automatically get a sender added to the blocked sender list for future messages that might not get caught in the junk filters... Did that make sense?
-steve

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 am 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
I believe that the option does/did exist in WLM, too. Using that option would potentially add the sender to the blocked sender list -- manually. What I meant by automatic, was that anything filtered as junk by WLM due to junk filter rules managed by Microsoft would not automatically get a sender added to the blocked sender list for future messages that might not get caught in the junk filters... Did that make sense?
-steve

Makes sense to me, Steve. And in WLM, I can manually add a sender (or his domain) to my blocked sender list, but this is not done automatically as best I can determine. But my list is getting populated somehow, and it's not me currently doing so.

The only explanation I can come up with is that many years ago, I did manually add to my blocked sender list. Then somehow this list got transferred from an old PC to a new one, several times.....thus resulting in a list that I no longer recognize nor populate. I do know that many years ago I thought this list was something I should maintain, but you & Jay convinced me that it was a waste of time because spammers frequently changed their address and/or domain.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Your assumed explanation seems pretty reasonable. :-)

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email