Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post subject: Windows 10 wont update
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:00 am 
welcoming committee

I am using Windows 10 Home. There does not appear to be any update icon in the control panel nor does it ask me if I want to update, it just does it.....or at least it tries to do it. The system boots up normally but after a short period of time, I get a message that says Windows has to update. The message goes on to say either "restart" or "postpone for 1 hour". When I click on restart it says "configuring updates for win 10 do not turn off your computer"
start at 9:25pm then the following:
1. getting ready to update
2. reboot
3. working on updates don't turn off comp this will take a while
4. reboot
5. working on updates 30%
6 don't turn comp off this will take a while
7. 43%
8. reboot
9. 48%
10. windows could not configure to install windows, restart computer and then restart installations
11. click on ok
12. reboot
13. restoring previous version of windows 10
14. Time now 9:38pm
15. reboot
16. working on updates don't turn off computer
17. reboot
18. getting windows ready don't turn off computer
19. Windows could not update. Removing updates. Time now 9:42 and desktop finally opens so 17 minutes of wasted time to get back to step one.

So I guess my question is, if it can't do it, how can I get it to do it? That initial message saying that it needs to update is quite large in a light blue box and messes everything up if I am doing any screen captures so is there any way to stop that box from opening???

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:26 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Sometimes Windows Updates can get messed up. Can you please give the following info?

1) Initially, when it says you need updates, what updates show?

2) When it fails is there an error code?

I suppose the first seep would be to run the Updater Troubleshooter from:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... bleshooter

<edit>
If you do run the troubleshooter I strongly suggest that you save the download to your desktop, or any handy location, and right click on the thing and run as Admin.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Sometimes Windows Updates can get messed up. Can you please give the following info?

1) Initially, when it says you need updates, what updates show?

2) When it fails is there an error code?

I suppose the first seep would be to run the Updater Troubleshooter from:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... bleshooter

<edit>
If you do run the troubleshooter I strongly suggest that you save the download to your desktop, or any handy location, and right click on the thing and run as Admin.

No Updates Show.....it just says Windows 10 Needs to be Updated
No Error Code
I will download the troubleshooter and get back to you.

I downloaded the troubleshooter. It says that a potential Windows Update Database error was detected and that it was not fixed. It did not give me an error code. Also somewhere in the process it said if I want to pursue this further, costs will be incurred.
:rofl2: Yeah, right. Fat chance of that ever happening. They sell me something that won't work and then have the audacity to want to charge me to fix it. "Aint Gonna Happen"

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:44 am 
welcoming committee

I just use the troubleshooter that is in the control panel, there is one specifically for Windows Update issues.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 am 
welcoming committee

Allyson wrote:
No Error Code

I downloaded the troubleshooter. It says that a potential Windows Update Database error was detected and that it was not fixed. It did not give me an error code. Also somewhere in the process it said if I want to pursue this further, costs will be incurred.
:rofl2: Yeah, right. Fat chance of that ever happening. They sell me something that won't work and then have the audacity to want to charge me to fix it. "Aint Gonna Happen"

The scenario of multiple reboots during the update process is when an upgrade is being installed. What version of Windows 10 is on your PC? (Go to Settings > System and scroll down to About. The version is shown under "Windows specifications".

Beyond that, the Windows Update Troubleshooter would not/does not indicate in the process that a cost will be incurred to pursue the issue. Rather, it sounds to me that your PC is infected.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:55 am 

Thanks for the statement that the troubleshooter would not state that there could be a cost involved Corrine. That seemed a bit odd to me also but I could not say for sure as I've been lucky enough to have never needed to use the thing on any of my systems. Since I closed down my business in 2009 I don't work on many systems anymore so have not use it on any other systems either.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 pm 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
I just use the troubleshooter that is in the control panel, there is one specifically for Windows Update issues.

I am in the control panel right now and there is nothing in there that mentions the word "troubleshooter" or "updates". In Windows 7 Pro, the control panel shows "windows update and windows anytime upgrade but nothing like that in Windows 10.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:01 pm 
welcoming committee

Corrine wrote:
Allyson wrote:
No Error Code

The scenario of multiple reboots during the update process is when an upgrade is being installed. What version of Windows 10 is on your PC? (Go to Settings > System and scroll down to About. The version is shown under "Windows specifications".

Beyond that, the Windows Update Troubleshooter would not/does not indicate in the process that a cost will be incurred to pursue the issue. Rather, it sounds to me that your PC is infected.

This is version 1709. The reference to cost being incurred is not in the processes.......It goes through everything and says it cant fix it. Then there is a box that has two options: "quit or continue". It is here that it says if you wish to continue, costs may be incurred.

I hardly suspect that my Windows 10 computer has been infected. The only on line experience with 10 was when Jay told me to download the Updater Troubleshooter. Everything I do with 10 is offline.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 pm 
welcoming committee

Ok. I haven't been able to update my HP 7 Stream tablet because there just isn't enough room on it. From what I've read the update takes a minimum of 18 GB free space, although sboots would be the better one to advice on the space needed. That said, if your device does not have the same issue as mine, there are "Windows Update Experts" at Sysnative.com. They even have a (private) school where they teach others how to help with WU issues. With your PC attempting to install the April update and the next version update expected next month, you might want to consider getting their assistance. The instructions are here.

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:21 pm 
welcoming committee

I use the old control panel which has a troubleshooting icon, but using the new one click the All Settings icon in the notifications menu. Select Updates and Security (same way to get to Windows Update). There is a troubleshoot link on the left, click that and Windows Update is in the group at the top.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:53 pm 
welcoming committee

I'm back to this problem again. I have not used my Windows 10 computer since posting that Windows 10 wont update. When I turned it on today, all was ok and I left the room for a bit and when I came back, it was in the "we're going to update Windows 10 Mode". It took about an hour for it to go through the same process of updating and then after it was done doing its thing, it said it could not complete the update as it had done the last time. It said to reboot which I did and it removed all the stuff it had just completed and went back to the way it was before it started.

I don't have the time or the wherewithal to chase down a fix so is there any way to stop the thing from going into the update mode? Everything works fine without the update.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:06 am 
welcoming committee

There is an issue with the Fall Update patch. Just wait until they re-release the fall update and use the media creation tool to do your update:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

You can use the update now button or download the tool and update that way, again wait for the Fall Update to be re-released.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:18 am 

David, I made the mistake of installing the update in the link you gave on three systems at the same time. It is still the April update... :(

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 am 
welcoming committee

When did you do the updates? It was the Fall update until a few days ago as I used it on Tuesday and it was the Fall version.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:33 am 
Site Admin

dvair wrote:
When did you do the updates? It was the Fall update until a few days ago as I used it on Tuesday and it was the Fall version.

They pulled the Fall update completely yesterday to investigate the issue. Originally they only pulled it from Windows Update so it would not be offered in "check for updates."

The issue Allyson is experiencing is not with the Fall update.

Allyson, what build of Windows 10 does the machine have at this point? Go to Settings/System/About -- down at the bottom is the version and the OS Build. Is it still 1709? Which OS Build?

On Windows 10 Home, you cannot stop updates without jumping through some hoops. The easiest way is to disable updating on a metered connection in the Advanced option of Windows Update settings and then changing your network properties to pretend to be a metered network. There is a more complicated "hit it with a hammer" solution, but it would be better to determine why the update your system is attempting to install is failing.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:34 am 

@ Dvair: I did it using the media creation tool on Saturday 10/6/18.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:31 pm 
welcoming committee

sboots wrote:
dvair wrote:

They pulled the Fall update completely yesterday to investigate the issue. Originally they only pulled it from Windows Update so it would not be offered in "check for updates."

The issue Allyson is experiencing is not with the Fall update.

Allyson, what build of Windows 10 does the machine have at this point? Go to Settings/System/About -- down at the bottom is the version and the OS Build. Is it still 1709? Which OS Build?

On Windows 10 Home, you cannot stop updates without jumping through some hoops. The easiest way is to disable updating on a metered connection in the Advanced option of Windows Update settings and then changing your network properties to pretend to be a metered network. There is a more complicated "hit it with a hammer" solution, but it would be better to determine why the update your system is attempting to install is failing.

-steve

It is Version 1709 OS Build 16299.431

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:46 pm 

Current, before the delayed fall update, should be version 1803. Apparently you never did the April 2018 upgrade.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:42 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Current, before the delayed fall update, should be version 1803. Apparently you never did the April 2018 upgrade.

How would I go about doing that April upgrade?

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:05 pm 
welcoming committee

Go to the site in my link and press the update now button is the easiest way.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
There is an issue with the Fall Update patch. Just wait until they re-release the fall update and use the media creation tool to do your update:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

You can use the update now button or download the tool and update that way, again wait for the Fall Update to be re-released.

How will I know when the Fall Update is released?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:03 am 

I'm sure that it will be posted here when known. Other than that it should eventually happen through Windows Updates but could be months after the release.

The exception would be if you have the system set to not allow operating system upgrades but this would have to be done deliberately.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:09 am 
welcoming committee

The site from my link will change the wording of that web page to state that the Fall one is available.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:58 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
The site from my link will change the wording of that web page to state that the Fall one is available.

I am very confused as the link you posted is all about upgrading from Windows 7, 8 etc; to Windows 10 and my Windows 10 computer is an original Windows 10 and nothing in the link talks about updating 10.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Allyson wrote:
dvair wrote:

I am very confused as the link you posted is all about upgrading from Windows 7, 8 etc; to Windows 10 and my Windows 10 computer is an original Windows 10 and nothing in the link talks about updating 10.

The link is -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

And it currently has no mention of the Fall update, just the April one:
Attachment:
w10.JPG
w10.JPG [ 23.21 KiB | Viewed 13078 times ]

This will change to the Fall update availability once it is made available.

-steve

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows