Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post subject: Looking for a printer
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:14 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Quite a while back a picture fell off my wall and landed on my Canon Pixma MG5320 printer and did damage that I can't find. Even without any paper at all loaded it thinks there is a paper jam in the output. I've been using an HP printer that has its own issues. I have to fiddle with the paper to get the printer to recognize there is any paper loaded. LOL! Go figure... I have one printer that thinks there is paper when there is not and another that thinks there is no paper when there is.

It has been 5 years since I've really looked at printers and have to admit that I don't really know what is now good. From past experience I have to admit to being partial to the Canon Pixma series. I also do not like 'tri-color' ink cartridges. I prefer separate cartridges for each color. My problem with tri-color cartridges is that you end up throwing away ink. Run out of cyan and you throw away a cartridge that still has yellow and magenta. Just seems like a waste to me. Most printers that have separate color cartridges will also have both dye based and pigment based black cartridges; one for text and the other for graphics.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at a price of not much over $150.00 USD. Yes, I know that I can get a printer that does a good job well under $100.00 USD but have found, in the past, that such printers tend to use ink cartridges that have less ink ending up costing more in the long run than a printer that costs a little more but does better on ink cartridge life. I also know that I could refill my ink cartridges myself for a cheaper printer but have tried that route. I won't go into details on the mess that attempt ended up being. I found a great ink company, Supplies Outlet, where I can got my Canon Pixma cartridges for ~$5.00 each rather than the ~$16.00 in stores. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:21 am 

We've always had Epson here, although the last time hubby wanted a printer he got himself a Canon Pixma. Epsons we've had all have the separate ink cartridges but the Canon hubby has uses a colour cartridge with the 3 colours and a separate black one, which as you say is a waste of ink. We can't afford one at present but Epson has brought out a printer that has tanks at the side that you fill with ink when it runs out.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 pm 
welcoming committee

Epson has printers that use ink tanks instead of cartridges, might want to look at them.

Post subject: RB
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm 
welcoming committee

I have a Cannon MG6600 which has 4 separate small cartridges and one large black cartridge as well. As you say, I like to change out a cartridge when it is empty, not when something attached to it runs dry. I buy replacements by the box of 24 from JARBO on Amazon for $20. I find the ink to be as good as branded Cannon ink. I think I bought the printer at BJ's. (it is an all-in-one and wireless)

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:13 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
My Canon was a Pixma MG5320. It used three color and two black cartridges. Two blaks as one was dye based and the other pigment.

I looked at a few of the Epson cartridge-less units and they look interesting although I did see some reviews on their being a little lacking on photo printing but others said they were fine. I would need to see a sample as photo printing is important to me.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware