Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:58 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If it comes down to it you actually can run SpamAssassin on your local machine as a service. Check the following link. If you decide to do this follow the instructions exactly. I don't know if I recommend doing this but can't really see where there would be harm that an uninstall would not fix. I would probably try it just due to my liking to 'play' but already have SpamAssassin active on my hosting for three of my emails and I believe that Hotmail also uses it. I can't see how it would but am a bit worried about causing a conflict.
https://www.coretechnologies.com/produc ... rvice.html

<edit>
Never mind. While this would probably work you need to run a program called 'Always On' that allows SpamAssassin to run as a service along with just about any other program to be seen as a service. Sadly Always On is not free. I decided to try and found that Always On has a price of ~$50.00. Go with rules.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:50 pm 
welcoming committee

Thanks for that update, Jay. I guess the $50 price tag is why my ISP doesn't use it with Zimbra.

Maybe Steve has the connections to get Always On free for us??? If not, I will start trying to setup some rules.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:59 pm 

Your ISP is probably running Linux so would not need Always On. Always On is what is called a 'daemon' which runs in the background. It is quite possible that there is something out there for free that would do the same.

I don't see any way Steve could get you a free copy of Always On. Even if they offered it for free to Microsoft MVP awardees he could not distribute.

<edit>
Just so that you know, BB, when you change programs that involve protection there will be rough spots. For instance we have the same spam issue with eM Client but from opposite ends. In your case it seems that your IP does not use SpamAssassin and you are getting spam in your Inbox. My case was the exact opposite as things that I didn't want to go to spam were as my email providers do use SpamAssassin and the eM Client spam filter sent these to junk. Basically the same problem but from opposite prospective.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:07 pm 
welcoming committee

I was just kidding about the freebie, Jay. And I totally don't understand Linux, daemon, Always On. So I will be trying some rules, maybe with a little help from you if required.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:23 pm 

Would you like me to setup a 'test' rule with screen shots of the process of setting up a rule? Once you really look I doubt that you would need the sample but would be glad to do if you want. Could even help someone down the road. If you would like me to do this please post screen shots of a spam that you are getting so that I can make the example directly relative to you. If you post such a screen shot please black out any email addresses that show.

Sigh, how to explain Linux, daemon and Always On?

Linux:
I know that you know that Linux is an operating system just like Windows. Linux is probably the most used operating system on web hosting and IP systems.

Daemon:
While different it is almost like running a virtual machine such as you do with Windows XP. You can even use a Daemon to create a virtual DVD drive to which you can load ISO images to execute.

Always On:
This is basically a Daemon designed to allow a program to run as a service in Windows. It sets up a virtual environment to allow a program (in this case the Windows version of SpamAssassin) to run as a service. In other words it allows what is normally a normal program to execute in the background where you don't see it running.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:08 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, thanks much for the informative post. I will take you up on your offer to setup a 'test' rule. Below are screen shots of two spam emails I received last night. As Steve said earlier, my email address never shows because it is probably in the Bcc: row.

Thanks again....I think seeing a sample will help me understand the rules logic.
Attachment:
lifespam.JPG
lifespam.JPG [ 40.86 KiB | Viewed 9229 times ]

Attachment:
nortonspam.JPG
nortonspam.JPG [ 54.67 KiB | Viewed 9229 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Does eM Client provide a way to set up a rule to move all messages where your email address is not in the To: of CC: fields to be moved (to the junk folder for review)? That might capture quite a few of these...

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:21 pm 
welcoming committee

Steve, I don't think so, but Jay can probably answer that better than I can. I'm still struggling to understand rules, as I've never used them before. But that would sure be nice if eM Client has such a rule because most of the spam emails that appear in my inbox(s) are not addressed to me in the To: or Cc: fields.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:39 pm 

No it does not. I'll put up your sample later this afternoon.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:45 pm 
welcoming committee

No hurry, Jay. I'm trying to finalize my taxes today.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm 

BTW, when I say that eM Client does not have a rule feature that includes sending to junk if not recipient that does not mean it is not possible. It is just not included in the basic rules templates.

<edit>
Correction! The eM Client rule wizard DOES include the option to act on anything with your name not in the To field. It just comes as an option further along than I had previously looked.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:25 pm 

OK, here it is. There are no promises but I THINK that it should work. To be a bit safer I'm sending the unwanted emails to the junk folder instead of trash. At least for a while check the junk folder before emptying to be sure that something is not being sent that you want. Later, if this proves out, you can select and modify the rule to send to Trash instead of Junk. This would be handy if you have eM Client set to empty Trash folders when you exit the program as do I. This is the reason that I selected to send to Junk instead of Trash.

Since I believe it possible that Steve MAY have done more with rules than myself you may want to wait for a comment before doing to be sure that my logic is correct.

Since you already know how to get to rules I'm skipping getting there. Click 'New rule...' to get started. When you get to the selection of the folder to send to you MAY see multiple junk folders. It probably does not matter what junk folder you select. Depending on the email account I show both 'Junk Email' and 'Junk E-mail'. To be honest you could probably also pick 'words in subject' or 'words in body' instead of 'people' but I selected people due to it being easy to just enter '*.*' as a wildcard to make it act on all incoming mail. Hmmm, if this does not work it may be better to have the wildcard set as '*@*.*'. With how the samples you put up show the 'From' field I THINK that '*.* is better but am not sure. It is even possible that just '*' could be the best. This you will have to play with. I suggest starting with '*.*'.

Attachment:
rule-1.png
rule-1.png [ 78.92 KiB | Viewed 9207 times ]

Attachment:
rule-2.png
rule-2.png [ 56.7 KiB | Viewed 9207 times ]

Attachment:
rule-3.png
rule-3.png [ 54.52 KiB | Viewed 9207 times ]

Attachment:
rule-4.png
rule-4.png [ 58.42 KiB | Viewed 9207 times ]

Attachment:
rule-5.png
rule-5.png [ 59.72 KiB | Viewed 9207 times ]

Attachment:
rule-6.png
rule-6.png [ 33.09 KiB | Viewed 9207 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:46 pm 
welcoming committee

Wow, Jay, you worked hard on setting up and explaining that rule.....much appreciated. I printed it out so I can study and implement it. May take me awhile, as my mind gets foggy this late in the day.

I'm just curious....what program did you use to show the dialog boxes?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 pm 

I use SnagIt which is a screen shot program with a LOT of features. Once you do the capture it takes you to an editor where you can size and add text balloons along with a lot more. Didn't think to erase the email address's in the second image when in the SnagIt editor so used PaintShop Pro's freehand eraser tool to remove. If not for the fact that the company, TechSmith, offers SnagIt to current and former Microsoft MVP awardees for free I'd just stick with the built in Windows screen shot program called the Snipping Tool.
https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

You are welcome. :) To be honest it was not all that much 'hard work' to do. I just did a screen shot of each step and added the text balloons.

LOL! My mind tends to be 'foggy' any time in the day anymore. :mrgreen:

<edit>
It MAY be that I gave too much instruction. I just tried something and it SEEMS that after selecting new rule you may just have to select the folder choice and select junk and hit next without selecting anything for people. On the next screen just select where your name is not in the 'To' field and finish.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Looks good. Too bad that there isn't a selection for "my name is *not* in the To or CC field"
You may want to create another rule to check messages where your address *is* in the To or CC field and then the option to stop processing rules (is there such a rule option? I would hope so!) on the message, placing that rule ahead of the junk mail check rule.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:10 pm 

sboots wrote:
Looks good. Too bad that there isn't a selection for "my name is *not* in the To or CC field"
You may want to create another rule to check messages where your address *is* in the To or CC field and then the option to stop processing rules (is there such a rule option? I would hope so!) on the message, placing that rule ahead of the junk mail check rule.

With the eM client options this MAY be possible as a sort of reverse rule to allow rather than disallow. I'd have to think about this one to figure out how to set up.

Yes, you can arrange rules in the order you want and select to stop processing after the rule is done... I'm pretty sure. You both have to remember that I am also new to this email client. ;)

A pretty neat thing about this, if you notice the scroll bar in the image, the choices are check boxes which means that you can select multiple nested conditions.
Attachment:
rule-10.png
rule-10.png [ 45.95 KiB | Viewed 9193 times ]

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:24 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay, I created the rule following your steps....not sure I could have done it without your instructions. But now I have a couple of questions:
(1) Do I now need to click on 'Apply rule'; if not, what is that box for?
(2) When it says the scope of the rule is All Accounts, does that mean that it will be automatically applied to all five of my email accounts?

Now I hope I receive some spam tonight so I can test my new rule. Thanks again.......

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:27 pm 

I believe that the apply button is to execute right now.

Yes, it should apply to all of your accounts.

Probably not a bad idea to shut down eM Client and start again.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:08 am 
welcoming committee

Jay, my rule didn't work last night, even though I shut eM Client down and started it again.

Here is what my rule looked like, same as yours I think:
Attachment:
Rule.JPG
Rule.JPG [ 23.8 KiB | Viewed 9183 times ]

And here is one of the spam emails I received:
Attachment:
MiracleSpam.JPG
MiracleSpam.JPG [ 41 KiB | Viewed 9183 times ]

And another:
Attachment:
rmaSpam.JPG
rmaSpam.JPG [ 41.63 KiB | Viewed 9183 times ]

I received a 3rd spam email, but it was properly addressed to me in the To: field, so I will have to devise a different rule or add it to my block list.

Thanks for your help....

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:09 pm 

I don't know...

Try modifying the rule and clearing the 'From' field.

Wait... before that move your rule to the top of the list of rules. If you have not removed the spam yet select to execute the rule.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:36 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I don't know...

Try modifying the rule and clearing the 'From' field.
That worked, but I also had to uncheck the From People box

Wait... before that move your rule to the top of the list of rules. If you have not removed the spam yet select to execute the rule.
I moved the rule to the top, but it didn't work until I cleared the From field. So now I will just wait and see if it works with the next spam email. Thanks....

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:43 pm 

It was because of the '*.*' in the From field. Actually the proper form would have probably been '*@*.*' but that still would have failed. It turns out that eM Client does not allow wildcards in rules. While it can be obviously gotten around I consider the lack of wildcards to be a fault. The common wildcards are '?' for a single character and '*' for anything.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:05 pm 
welcoming committee

I did not know wildcards weren't allowed either.

But the rule is working. I now need to go in and make some exceptions, such as system@computerhaven.com. Because now the CH notices are going to my junk folder, as are emails sent by a Contact to undisclosed recipients.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 pm 

Glad that it is working. :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:44 pm 

sboots wrote:

I've been doing a bit more looking and, actually, there is such an option under the rule exceptions. The following would send everything to Trash unless the name were to be in either the 'To' or 'Cc' fields.

Attachment:
rule-20.png
rule-20.png [ 46.22 KiB | Viewed 9165 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Internet Browsers And Email