Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:39 pm 
welcoming committee

I was able to find a program that will recover all the files from corrupted usb flash drives. It is an open source application and I was able to recover all the files from my 62GB USB Flash Drive. It took about 45 minutes and it downloaded all the files to my downloads folder. The only problem I found with it is that it changes all the file names to numbers and letters. It also does not put them in order so it requires a fairly long task to move the files to the same named folders that they were originally in. It appears that this site does quite a few other things as well...........maybe even a way to removed the write protect so that the drives can be used again.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:44 pm 
Fearless Leader

That is common with "undelete" or "recovery" programs, and not really a fault of the program. You see what is corrupted is the file table. You may think a file is called "picture 1," but the computer sees it as a long hex number. As to order - when you are ordering hex numbers, who knows if they are in order or not - I can't read them. ;)

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
That is common with "undelete" or "recovery" programs, and not really a fault of the program. You see what is corrupted is the file table. You may think a file is called "picture 1," but the computer sees it as a long hex number. As to order - when you are ordering hex numbers, who knows if they are in order or not - I can't read them. ;)

You can't read this? :rofl2: The good news is that my new DVD, Cassette, Record Player arrived.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTCDS1U-Classical-Turntable-Recording/dp/B0040720NO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1347145018&sr=8-7&keywords=pyle+record+player

I found out today how to insert the USB Flash Drive into the player and record from the DVD, Cassette, or Record Player directly to the USB Drive. It's incredible !! Of course none of the songs can be recorded to the USB Flash Drive you see below because I don't understand Greek.

Attachments:
usb4.jpg
usb4.jpg [ 32.66 KiB | Viewed 8723 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:17 am 
Fearless Leader

LOL Oh goodness - that's not HEX! (Safe or otherwise!) That appears to be encrypted?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:04 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I would love to get my hands on that drive. Might be fun trying to straighten out.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 am 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I would love to get my hands on that drive. Might be fun trying to straighten out.

I just noticed that both of the corrupted USB flash drives that I grabbed the files from have ended up in the same state as the one I am returning to Buy.com. The 8 gb one, however, appears to be about 77 mb from being full as opposed to the 0-0 that shows on the 64gb drive thats going back to Buy.com. The properties on the 8gb flash drive look like the image below. You are welcome to have it if you let me know where to send it.

Attachments:
usb5.jpg
usb5.jpg [ 35.69 KiB | Viewed 8704 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 pm 

I was only kidding about having the drive. Probably not a lot to be done with it.

The above screen shot is totally different than the one for the returned drive. This one seems to show proper usage with 7.36gig used and 77.2meg free. The other drive showed zero for both fields. The only similarity is the scrambled drive name.

Just curious, do you have any virtual CD/DVD software installed? Since, as Patty said in another thread, the 0/0 drive looks like what you would expect out of a finalized CD/DVD. I'm wondering if virtual CD/DVD software could be causing an issue.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:58 pm 
Fearless Leader

Chad, I would prefer the sending to Jay route, rather than sending to Buy.com. You don't know that they can't recover data from it - of course I don't know if you have data on there you wouldn't want others to have or not - but I'd never send back a drive (USB or otherwise) that had either not been reformatted - or physically smashed. <g>

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:47 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Chad, I would prefer the sending to Jay route, rather than sending to Buy.com. You don't know that they can't recover data from it - of course I don't know if you have data on there you wouldn't want others to have or not - but I'd never send back a drive (USB or otherwise) that had either not been reformatted - or physically smashed. <g>

There is nothing on the drive that others could not see, however, I am positive that this drive has, shall we say, been properly "disabled" by gremlins before shipment. While I got ya on the phone here though, is there any way to get rid of drive letters that apparently no longer exist? The "I" drive was the Centron 64gb flash drive and I have no idea about the second CD ROM drive. When I click on them, it says to insert disk.

Attachments:
usb6.jpg
usb6.jpg [ 34.13 KiB | Viewed 8694 times ]
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
I was only kidding about having the drive. Probably not a lot to be done with it.

The above screen shot is totally different than the one for the returned drive. This one seems to show proper usage with 7.36gig used and 77.2meg free. The other drive showed zero for both fields. The only similarity is the scrambled drive name.

Just curious, do you have any virtual CD/DVD software installed? Since, as Patty said in another thread, the 0/0 drive looks like what you would expect out of a finalized CD/DVD. I'm wondering if virtual CD/DVD software could be causing an issue.

I have XP on virtual.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 am 

Did you ever mount the bad flash drive as a virtual drive? Are you using Virtual Box, XP Mode or Virtual PC 2007? If the drive was used with Virtual Box and not dismounted I THINK, but am not sure, that the network that Virtual Box sets up may still be claiming it.

Board index » Technical Forums » Hardware