Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 am 
welcoming committee

The 4 - pin power connector WILL come from the power supply, the "Please Note" sentence is incorrect.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:22 am 
welcoming committee

dvair wrote:
The 4 - pin power connector WILL come from the power supply, the "Please Note" sentence is incorrect.

Glad to have that cleared up dvair.......I was sitting here scratching my head wondering if I had read that correctly. So from what I can see then, most of those USB 3.0 PCI Express cards just plug into a PCI ex1 slot and you connect the outlet on the PCI card to the power supply, right?

Except for this one which does not seem to have and internal port on the card, at least not that I can see like you can on all the others.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-SuperSpeed-Express-PCIe/dp/B004GF1PC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1348553898&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+3.0+pci+express+card

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If you get one without a power hook-up I would not plan on connecting anything more demanding than a flash drive unless the device has its own power supply.

If there are drivers involved you would probably install the drivers and then, with the system off, install the card which would include doing the power connection.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:13 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
If you get one without a power hook-up I would not plan on connecting anything more demanding than a flash drive unless the device has its own power supply.

OK, I have one such drive that is connected to an existing USB 2.0 port. It is a 500gb external drive that simply plugs into the 2.0 port and has no external power. I am using it to backup my computer once a week and it takes forever for it to do the backup....over two hours. So I am thinking when I get my USB 3.0 PCI express card, that it should be one that is powered internally from the power supply and hopefully this will speed up the backup process.

In the PCI express card reviews, I have read several that said the molex connector on the card is very flimsy and one guy even had it break off so maybe a card with a 15 pin sata connector is better as they seem to slide in and out without any difficulty. I'm still card shopping so I sure hope when I do buy, that I get one that installs ok and works.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:55 am 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Keep in mind that unless the external drive is also USB3 you won't see any difference in the speed of your backups. Actually you might but not much at all. I swear that my USB2 flash drives work just a little quicker on a USB3 port but the difference is small.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:23 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
Keep in mind that unless the external drive is also USB3 you won't see any difference in the speed of your backups. Actually you might but not much at all. I swear that my USB2 flash drives work just a little quicker on a USB3 port but the difference is small.

OK......so plan B.......move my backup hard drive for this Windows 7 Pro Computer to do the back up at 3am rather than 7pm and it can take all night to do it if it wants.

Then get the USB 3.0 docking station:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Docking-Station-2-5in-3-5in/dp/B005JFUI6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1348248395&sr=1-1&keywords=sata-ide+usb+docking+station

and a USB 3.0 PCI Express card with internal power connector and this should increase the transfer speed time considerably, right?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
Fearless Leader

Right!

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 pm 
welcoming committee

MacDuffie wrote:
Right!

Oh Good Ms MacDuffie........but I do have one more slight problem but it has to do with Windows 7 Pro so I will post it there. ;)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:59 pm 
Fearless Leader

Steve's got you on the right track there.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows