Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:42 pm 

I need your help with this part -- Windows IP Configuration on my desktop. I know that the support of Microsoft XP will be no longer available as of Monday, April 8th. Earlier this week I download the file of Comodo Firewall and installed them in my XP desktop. Guess what?? It doesn't work at all to access to the Internet but the connection is working with no problem. After two days of trying to figure out why is the program of Comodo Firewall not working in my XP desktop? I decided to uninstall the program and now the internet is not working at all because of Windows IP Configuration. I googled and find several fixes from Microsoft site and still not working to access to internet but the connection is working. So what is the problem with Windows IP Configuration? Yes I did ran through command prompt to see if there will show the messages but got blank. The one I did is " ipconfig /all " or " ipconfig /flushdns ". Look below:

Microsoft Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600)
(c) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\John P. Mackay>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: The request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

Now I am asking for your help with this problem. Hope that will solve this before Monday because Microsoft will NOT help with this if I call them for further help.

Thanks,

John

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:15 pm 
Fearless Leader

I don't blame them. Do a system restore before it is too late. Other than that, you're on your own.

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:13 am 
welcoming committee

It's ipconfig/all not ipconfig /all. There's an extra space in there. [The same for the command to purge the DNS cache.]

This command won't fix anything but rather tell you the status of your configuration. If you post the results here it might be helpful. But do a System Restore first.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:42 am 
welcoming committee

Also learn a lesson. Do a backup image before a major installation change, so you can recover. This applies to all OS

Pete

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:53 pm 

Want to say thank you to all who have reply to my message. Yes I know that I have made a big mistake and learn a lesson for next time about backup image. Anyway I have tried to all dates that are highlighted to do System Restore. And did not complete System Restore to all dates that I picked. Here is the message below:

Restoration Incomplete:

Your computer cannot be restored to:

Sunday, March 30, 2014
System Checkpoint

No changes have been made to your computer.

To choose another restore point, restart System Restore.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if I can do this in Safe Mode or will not make any difference with this system restore. If no luck then I guess that I move on to make my desktop in Linux next week sometime.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:06 pm 
Fearless Leader

Do you have Norton on your machine? If not, what is your antivirus?

Live Long and Prosper
Mr. Spock

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:20 pm 

My antivirus is Microsoft Security Essentials but will not work after Monday. OK I find something interesting and something to do with Windows Firewall. I tried to turn on Windows Firewall but it won't let me so I googled about Windows Firewall and try this. Look below:

1. Click Start, Click Run, type cmd and then click OK

2. At the command prompt, type the following line and press ENTER

Rundll32 setupapi,InstallIhinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132 %windir%inf\netrass.inf

Got the error message below:

RUNDLL

(X) Error in setupapi
Missing Entry: InstallIhinfSection

Where do I have to look for this to fix the problem? Is that a dll file or what??

John

Last edited by imcanadian on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

FYI -- MSE will continue to work after the 8th of April. Updates for definitions will continue into 2015 on XP.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/prot ... 2a49a11a22

However, that doesn't mean that the PC is protected. Running XP today is already risky no matter what security is installed. Once patches stop being deployed for newly discovered vulnerabilities, the risk will be even greater.

-steve

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:22 am 
welcoming committee

Peter2150 wrote:
Also learn a lesson. Do a backup image before a major installation change, so you can recover. This applies to all OS

Pete

And might I add, use more than one backup program. Just yesterday I was messing with my system, fairly advanced stuff certainly nothing a novice would play with, hosed my system. No problem, restore my backup. Whoa, even that did not work. Went to my secondary backup program, system back to normal in 5-6 minutes. :whew:

Acadia

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:19 am 

Yes I learn my mistake about not back up my second computer with Microsoft Windows XP Professional but already back up with my first computer with Microsoft Windows 7. Guess I have to give up with my second computer and will change to Linux sometime this week.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:49 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Nothing wrong with going with Linux on a second system (or even a main system) but don't jump into it. Unless you are already familiar with Linux, and have a version that you already know that you like, download and burn what are called 'Live CDs'. Live CDs are versions that run straight from the CD with no actual install so you can see what it is like. I would advise that you burn 4-6 different Linux versions and try them all for a couple of weeks. The one you keep going back to is the one that you probably want. Most such Live CDs will include an option to do an actual install.

Linux DOES have the advantages of being free but also has some down sides. The biggest issue that I hit was with bought software. You buy software and it installs and runs fine. Then, in my specific case, there is an upgrade in the Linux Distro I was running. Applied the upgrade and the bought software would no longer work. And you DO have to do the version updates in Linux just as you would in Windows. I guess that you could sort of equate a Linux version upgrade as the same or close to a service pack in Windows. The distro I was running was Ubuntu.

If you do go the Linux path myself and Acadia MIGHT be able to supply a little help. Don't know the extent that Acadia could help but for myself it would just be VERY basic and simple stuff. To my knowledge no one else here has any experience with Linux but I could be wrong.

Another option might be to look at Windows 8 for the second system. Of course you would have to run a Microsoft program to see if your system can run Windows 8 or even 7. You could even look at some places such as E-Bay.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:27 pm 
welcoming committee

jaylach wrote:
... and Acadia MIGHT be able to supply a little help.

Its been years since I experimented with Linux, both in a virtual machine and actually installed directly on my system. I tried several distros but mostly stuck to Mint. I eventually gave up on it. Windows simply works. I got tired of jumping thru hoops to get the smallest things to work in Linux, dual monitors, mouse, printer, etc.

Acadia

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows