Register    Login    Search    FAQ     Articles & more     Donate

Board index » Technical Forums » Windows 8/8.1/10




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Latest Windows 10 Update
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:52 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
I went to the MS site yesterday dealing with the Windows 10 Update and this is what it said?

On November 13, 2018, we re-released the Windows 10 October Update (version 1809), Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. We encourage you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically.

When I opened my Windows 10 April version, a message appeared at the bottom right corner saying that Windows 10 needs to update I clicked on it and after 3 hours and 4 minutes of attempted download and install, it said it could not do it and to wait while my older version was re-installed. About half an hour later I was back to square one.

At the beginning of the attempted try, it displayed a box that had 3 green check marks saying every thing on my computer was ok for the update. At the end it displayed a box that said "an item was missing".

Is there any way of knowing when to try this again?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Does it give any indication of what is missing?

I don't use Windows Updates to do these updates. I create physical media. You might try that here is a link to the Media Creation Tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
If you go this route you will have the option to download updates during the install. Choose to not do so.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:34 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
jaylach wrote:
Does it give any indication of what is missing?

I don't use Windows Updates to do these updates. I create physical media. You might try that here is a link to the Media Creation Tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
If you go this route you will have the option to download updates during the install. Choose to not do so.


There was no indication of what was missing. I believe it said and item or file was missing. Working on your link now....will get back after its done doing it's thing.

I downloaded Windows 10 and it took about 2 hours for it to finish but nothing changed.....still says its version 1709. I have no idea how to check it out further.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:01 am 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
You would not download Windows 10 through the link I gave. You would download and run the Media Creation Tool in the lower half of the page. The tool will download An install of Windows 10 and allow for the creation of either a USB (such as a flash drive) or an ISO image of the install media. I do the ISO image and then just right click on the saved ISO file and select to burn to disk to create an install DVD.

Once you have the DVD (or USB device) media you would just run the Setup file on the DVD or USB device. Remember to NOT do updates during the install.

Allyson, I have no idea if this method will solve your issue but it SHOULD bypass any issue that might involve Windows Update.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
jaylach wrote:
You would not download Windows 10 through the link I gave. You would download and run the Media Creation Tool in the lower half of the page. The tool will download An install of Windows 10 and allow for the creation of either a USB (such as a flash drive) or an ISO image of the install media. I do the ISO image and then just right click on the saved ISO file and select to burn to disk to create an install DVD.

Once you have the DVD (or USB device) media you would just run the Setup file on the DVD or USB device. Remember to NOT do updates during the install.

Allyson, I have no idea if this method will solve your issue but it SHOULD bypass any issue that might involve Windows Update.


When I click on "Download Tool Now", I have the choice to save it or run it. If I choose to save it, I have the option to save it to my download files folder or to the USB Drive. I saved it to the usb drive and then clicked on run. This is basically what I did before except that I saved it to the download folder file.

It is currently downloading Windows 10 to the usb drive. I got a message that it will delete what was currently on the usb drive. So this is happening now and about 25% complete....will post more when its done.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:30 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
OK, when it is done open the USB drive and run the app named Setup.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
jaylach wrote:
OK, when it is done open the USB drive and run the app named Setup.


Did that but after a bit I got an error code:
Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xa001a

Why on Earth did they make this update process so complicated???


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Honestly I don't know what is going on. I had hoped that bypassing Windows Updates might help but, apparently, that was not the case. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a thought. In the mean time I'll do some looking around but I can't right now.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:43 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
jaylach wrote:
Honestly I don't know what is going on. I had hoped that bypassing Windows Updates might help but, apparently, that was not the case. Hopefully someone else will chime in with a thought. In the mean time I'll do some looking around but I can't right now.


Thanks Jay. I'll check back later.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:06 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hmmm, mayhaps, since your first attempt was through Windows Updates, that is the root of the issue. Try the Update troubleshooter via the following link.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... bleshooter

<Edit>
Hey, was it you, in another thread, that said that you never installed the April 2018 update? If so it just MAY be possible that you cannot do the October 2018 update without the April 2018 update in place. This could easily account for the original error of an item being missing.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:32 am 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Another note to add to the above. Follow the instructions in the following link.
https://www.groovypost.com/news/intel-a ... rs-update/
If your system is a netbook using an Atom processor it is likely that the system is not compatible with the Fall 2018 update. If this is the case security updates will continue through 2023 but the system is not eligible for feature updates.

I would think that Windows Updates would detect this and not offer but cannot prove. It is something to check out.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:04 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: New Jersey
What size/capacity is the USB drive?

_________________
stephen boots
Microsoft MVP since 2004
"Life's always an adventure with computers!"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:55 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
sboots wrote:
What size/capacity is the USB drive?


The USB is an empty 64gb


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
jaylach wrote:
Hmmm, mayhaps, since your first attempt was through Windows Updates, that is the root of the issue. Try the Update troubleshooter via the following link.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... bleshooter

<Edit>
Hey, was it you, in another thread, that said that you never installed the April 2018 update? If so it just MAY be possible that you cannot do the October 2018 update without the April 2018 update in place. This could easily account for the original error of an item being missing.


How can I check to see if the April 2018 update has been installed? It is currently running Version 1709 but I have no idea if that was the version that came with the April 2018 update.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:55 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
I believe the April 2018 update should be version 1803.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:08 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:19 pm
Posts: 117
Location: Capital District, New York
That is correct Jay.

_________________
I hear and I forget.
I see and I remember.
I do and I understand.

William A. Gustafson
I know I have forgotten more than I can ever hope to remember.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Hi Bill, nice to see you. :)

I haven't been able to find anything conclusive... Do you happen to know for sure if you can skip one of these feature updates or do they need to be installed in sequence?

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:44 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: New Jersey
Updating directly to 1809 (October Update) from 1709 (Fall 2017 update) and skipping 1803 (Spring 2018 Update) is supported according to this thread -- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7032c032ff
However, it is important to check if your PC is compatible with 1809.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0d5c738923

-steve

_________________
stephen boots
Microsoft MVP since 2004
"Life's always an adventure with computers!"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:09 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Thanks Steve. :)

One thing brought out in the first link of Steve's last post is that you should remove any third party anti virus. What are you using for anti Virus Allyson?

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:57 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
jaylach wrote:
Thanks Steve. :)

One thing brought out in the first link of Steve's last post is that you should remove any third party anti virus. What are you using for anti Virus Allyson?


The only thing on my Windows 10 is Windows Defender. My only on line experience with this computer has been the links you guys have sent me to download so really no need for any 3rd party stuff.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 am 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
sboots wrote:
Updating directly to 1809 (October Update) from 1709 (Fall 2017 update) and skipping 1803 (Spring 2018 Update) is supported according to this thread -- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7032c032ff
However, it is important to check if your PC is compatible with 1809.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0d5c738923

-steve


First let me thank you for your help Steve.......but there is no way I can make any sense of this. I have this desktop computer that is capable of running Windows 10, version 1709 so this means it is compatible with Windows 10. It works fine, it is useable for doing everything I want to do......and then MS decides to update and somehow the computer becomes incompatible with a later version ??? Was it MS or me that made it incompatible?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:53 am 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
It is really neither Allyson. Microsoft sends vendors specs on what their hardware needs to be to work with any specific version of Windows. This really relates to device drivers. it is neither your fault, nor that of Microsoft, if a vendor decides to not make the device drivers compatible. Well, OK, I'll put a little blame on Microsoft but only in going from a specific Windows version, such as Win 7, to an on-going OS such as Win 10.

Look at it this way. It has been about 3.5 years since Windows 10 was released. Under the old method of putting out entirely new operating systems every three or so years we would be running Windows 11. If your system ran Windows 10 fine but could not run Windows 11 you might grumble but, probably, would not be upset. This is something that is, sometimes, hard for a consumer to understand but the current version of Windows 10 is in no way the same as the first version of Windows 10 put out 3.5 years ago. Personally I think that Microsoft made a marketing mistake that is starting to bite them on the back side. In the early days of Windows Microsoft designated that different releases of the same operating system were different such as Windows 3 and Windows 3.1, also With Windows 98 there was Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE then on to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. If Microsoft would have used the same method with Windows 10 such as the original release being Windows 10 then the Anniversary edition being Windows 10.1, then Windows 10.2, etc. they would be getting much less flack as the designation would indicate that, no, this is not the same thing as the previous.

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:44 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm
Posts: 1518
Location: New Jersey
...What Jay said. :-)

My concern is that your PC didn't update to 1803 for unknown reasons. I'm not sure if I'd expect it to update to 1809. The article I linked to provided a set of manufacturer links that may have information on known blocking/compatibility issues with either of the feature updates 1803 and 1809. If the manufacturer of your PC is in that list, see if your PC model is listed.

-steve

_________________
stephen boots
Microsoft MVP since 2004
"Life's always an adventure with computers!"


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline
welcoming committee
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:17 am
Posts: 274
jaylach wrote:
It is really neither Allyson. Microsoft sends vendors specs on what their hardware needs to be to work with any specific version of Windows. This really relates to device drivers. it is neither your fault, nor that of Microsoft, if a vendor decides to not make the device drivers compatible. Well, OK, I'll put a little blame on Microsoft but only in going from a specific Windows version, such as Win 7, to an on-going OS such as Win 10.

Look at it this way. It has been about 3.5 years since Windows 10 was released. Under the old method of putting out entirely new operating systems every three or so years we would be running Windows 11. If your system ran Windows 10 fine but could not run Windows 11 you might grumble but, probably, would not be upset. This is something that is, sometimes, hard for a consumer to understand but the current version of Windows 10 is in no way the same as the first version of Windows 10 put out 3.5 years ago. Personally I think that Microsoft made a marketing mistake that is starting to bite them on the back side. In the early days of Windows Microsoft designated that different releases of the same operating system were different such as Windows 3 and Windows 3.1, also With Windows 98 there was Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE then on to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. If Microsoft would have used the same method with Windows 10 such as the original release being Windows 10 then the Anniversary edition being Windows 10.1, then Windows 10.2, etc. they would be getting much less flack as the designation would indicate that, no, this is not the same thing as the previous.


I would not grumble if MS did not force me to run updates that they surely know by now do not work on my version of Windows 10. There is even an application in the control panel on my computer that allows Windows 10 updates to be disabled.

It reads as follows: Enables the detection and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use the Windows update or its automatic updating feature and programs will not be able to use the Windows Update Agent (WUA) API.

It is currently set, "startup type" Disabled
Service status, "Stopped"

MS put it there in my control panel....not me or the vendor
That application does not work?
Is it supposed to work?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:43 pm 
Offline
Resident Geekazoid Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:09 am
Posts: 5723
Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Under which Control Panel heading do you see that setting?

_________________


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Technical Forums » Windows 8/8.1/10


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

cron