Register    Login    Search    Articles & downloads     Who We Are    Donate    Jaylach Free Sites

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:28 pm 
welcoming committee

First I want to say Happy New Year to all members here in this forum and I know I have not been here for a while. And now come back to seek help with Reset This PC or Clean Install. I have learned a hard lesson that I made a mistake to run the program of Windows Repair 4.4.0 from Tweaking site and now my program of Windows Defender security doesn't work but the firewall of Windows Defender is working with no problem. At this moment I have the freeware anti-virus program of BitFender Anti-Virus but I prefer to have Windows Defender to run both in security and firewall. I already did with Reset This PC on my desktop and still the same with Windows Defender problem also did with Clean Install and nothing changed with Windows Defender. I wonder if I decide to go ahead to reformat the main drive with 220GB Solid State Drive and install the DVD that I download from Media Creation through Microsoft. Now my question is that if I reformat the drive and what happen to my activation key of Windows 10 Pro 64-edition after reinstall the operating system of Windows 10. Should I write down the activation key which I found through KeyFinder (MagicJelly) or Microsoft already have my information with Windows 10. I just want to make sure the right thing also goes smooth to reinstall the operating system of Windows 10. Yes I already have the files for my HP Omen Desktop like the drivers and others too. Or don't bother to reinstall and just use the freeware anti-virus program, BitFender with Windows 10 Pro 64-edition on my desktop. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated to help with this.

Thank you,

John

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:39 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
If you bought Windows 10 on-line through Microsoft or it came preinstalled you should have what is called a digital license and the hardware should be recognized and activate automatically. That is what SHOULD happen but I'd store the registered key code to be safe. Still, let's hold off on formatting for a while.

First off please don't run any of those 'fix my PC' type packages. As you can see they can wreck havoc.

Since a reset can save data and settings I can see Defender still failing but don't see why it should fail on a clean install.

Before we do anything I assume, without Bit Defender installed, that you have gone to settings/Update and security/Windows security to confirm that Defender is in fact disabled. If there is a green check mark on Virus and threat protection Defender is actually running and it may just not be set to show in the Notification Area by the clock in the taskbar.

In theory if you were to uninstall Bit Defender Windows Defender will automatically turn on but this is not always the case but try it. Uninstall Bit Defender and any other anti virus software installed and see what happens.

If Windows Defender still does not enable you can try to enable via a registry hack. You can also do this through Group Policies since you Have Windows 10 Pro but the hack is quicker and easier. I have included a link below for you to download the hack. The hack does nothing but change a Group Policy setting.
http://jaylach.com/downloads/enable-defender.zip
Decompress the file and then execute the .reg file. Make sure that you have uninstalled Bit Defender first. Let us know what happens.

Here is the content of the registry hack:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
"DisableAntiSpyware"=-

Remember to only run ONE anti virus package. Do not try to run both Bit Defender and Windows Defender together.

<edit>
BTW, the above hack is proven in Windows 10 Pro only, not the Home edition. While I THINK that it will work in the Home edition I have no way to prove. The problem is that, unless things have changed, the Home version has no access to the Group Policies interface and the hack does nothing but change a Group Policy setting. Since the Home version actually DOES include Group Policies and the interface can even be enabled I would guess that it would work.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:16 pm 
welcoming committee

Jay -- Want to say a big thank you to you for the file and it's working now. I did try this before but couldn't get Windows Defender working properly. Anyway appreciated with your time and help for this.

John

Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:32 pm 
Resident Geekazoid Administrator

Location: The state of confusion; I just use Wyoming for mail.
Glad to be of help. :)

If you could expand on what worked it would be helpful to others.

Did Windows Defender come back up after removing Bit Defender or did it come back up after running my registry hack after removing Bit Defender?

<edit>
As a note the above link to the hack to force enabling Windows Defender is no longer valid. I added another hack to the .zip file to include the ability to force the disabling of Defender. The correct direct link is now
http://jaylach.com/downloads/enable_dis ... fender.zip
or just go to the 'Jaylach Downloads' link in my siggy to get along with some other free and proven safe stuff... Sigh, I hope this does not sound like an advertisement as that is not the intent.

Board index » Technical Forums » Microsoft Windows